Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    BangBang DukeGang21!

Duke receives a commitment from a three star NC DB with offers from Northwestern, NCS, WF among others. Sorry I can’t link now.
    I thoroughly enjoy Duke beating out the other in state schools.
    Bob Green

Beating out the other in state competition is indeed nice. Watching what Mack Brown has been doing at uncch is a little disquieting, though. Does anyone know whether Duke has recruited any of his highly rated commits? Have the blue smurfs simply discarded any pretense of academic competence to the extent that we could not even go after any of Mack's recruits? It certainly wouldn't surprise me, but i just don't know.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedweb View Post
    Beating out the other in state competition is indeed nice. Watching what Mack Brown has been doing at uncch is a little disquieting, though. Does anyone know whether Duke has recruited any of his highly rated commits? Have the blue smurfs simply discarded any pretense of academic competence to the extent that we could not even go after any of Mack's recruits? It certainly wouldn't surprise me, but i just don't know.
    Meh. It's not a surprise. Even if MB weren't the one recruiting, the goats will always have a leg up since they don't have the academic requirements. And that's AFTER the scandal! There is a reason that on the whole Duke is so selective and that Chapel Hill is third in enrollment only behind NCSU and Cape Fear Community College. (Not kidding, and only by barely 200 for CFCC. 29,469 to 29,671)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Meh. It's not a surprise. Even if MB weren't the one recruiting, the goats will always have a leg up since they don't have the academic requirements. And that's AFTER the scandal! There is a reason that on the whole Duke is so selective and that Chapel Hill is third in enrollment only behind NCSU and Cape Fear Community College. (Not kidding, and only by barely 200 for CFCC. 29,469 to 29,671)
    I think you missed the poster's point. This isn't about Duke v UNC recruiting. Washed-up ol' Mack currently has a consensus Top 5 recruiting class; some of that is just due to having more than the average number of recruits (14 at the moment), but most of those 14 are at least 4-star recruits.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I think you missed the poster's point. This isn't about Duke v UNC recruiting. Washed-up ol' Mack currently has a consensus Top 5 recruiting class; some of that is just due to having more than the average number of recruits (14 at the moment), but most of those 14 are at least 4-star recruits.
    It appeared to be.
    But if not, "Washed-up ol' Mack" also has a banner. If I were a top recruit, I'd listen hard. (And be very happy that I don't have to meet Duke's academic requirements.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It appeared to be.
    But if not, "Washed-up ol' Mack" also has a banner. If I were a top recruit, I'd listen hard. (And be very happy that I don't have to meet Duke's academic requirements.)
    ...or go to class...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

My nit to pick for the day:

Carolina's academic fraud was driven and condoned by the grown ups (coaching staff, administration, politicians, fans); they should feel ashamed of themselves. I tend to think they believe they can just outlive the controversy, but I will always see Ol' Roy & Co. as a bunch of liars and cheats who cut corners at the expense of their players' educations. I'm also happy to tar other grown ups for sticking up for them (I'll generally stick up for Bilas, but not when he outspokenly defends Williams).

OTOH, I'm happy to give the Carolina players a pass--and certainly don't feel a need to disrespect their decision to attend the state's flagship public university. A lot of their basketball and football players would have done fine at Duke.

Riley Leonard, 6-4 QB from Alabama commits to Duke...good athlete (good hoopster), offers from Vandy, Syracuse, Nebraska among others, seems fine to me...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Riley Leonard, 6-4 QB from Alabama commits to Duke...good athlete (good hoopster), offers from Vandy, Syracuse, Nebraska among others, seems fine to me...
    QB offer lists are tricky once you get below the very top tier of QBs, because it can be hard to be sure for exactly what position the other schools were recruiting the kid. Still seems like a nice list, of course.

Welcome Riley. Good size and athleticism. Strong academics. https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ent-147267637/
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    QB offer lists are tricky once you get below the very top tier of QBs, because it can be hard to be sure for exactly what position the other schools were recruiting the kid. Still seems like a nice list, of course.
    Often true. But in this case, Syracuse had him #1 on their QB board: https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...s-to-duke.html

Vanderbilt was trying to make inroads with Leonard as a QB as well.

yeah vandy had him up high as a ''qb'' prospect also. just a really athletic kid. between he and moore we have really picked up two really good prospects to develop.

Riley Leonard also had multiple scholarship offers to play basketball, not from high major programs but from some solid mid-majors. Kid is a heck of an athlete and will be a tremendous asset for the football program.

--Jason "you know who else all the programs wanted to play multiple sports? Troublemaker* "Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 05-19-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Riley Leonard also had multiple scholarship offers to play basketball, not from high major programs but from some solid mid-majors. Kid is a heck of an athlete and will be a tremendous asset for the football program.
    A few interesting parallels with DJ - great size and athleticism, excellent hoopster, but flew under the radar due to some unusual circumstances (DJ missed junior year due to injury I think, RL missed spring practice and summer camps due to Covid), ended up catching Cut's attention via a personal connection. Obviously not expecting him to be a top 10 pick in a few years, but football seems to offer more chances to find hidden gems if you're on your toes.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    A few interesting parallels with DJ - great size and athleticism, excellent hoopster, but flew under the radar due to some unusual circumstances (DJ missed junior year due to injury I think, RL missed spring practice and summer camps due to Covid), ended up catching Cut's attention via a personal connection. Obviously not expecting him to be a top 10 pick in a few years, but football seems to offer more chances to find hidden gems if you're on your toes.
    From A. Rowe and 247Sports/Devils Den:

"Duke was the school that for the rest of my life I could walk around with pride knowing I went there," Leonard told TheDevilsDen.com before announcing his decision. "My QB coach out of Mobile, David Morris, was coached by Coach Cut at Ole Miss with Eli Manning. Him and coach talked about me and ever since the first conversation with Cut, there was a click".
    Ding-ding-ding!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

we finally seem to be stacking up an impressive inventory of QBs, which, after enduring last year's paucity of QBs, is refreshing.

I peeped his highlights on YT. Wonder if he would be able to walk-on to the basketball team (or if Cut would allow that).

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I peeped his highlights on YT. Wonder if he would be able to walk-on to the basketball team (or if Cut would allow that).
    I can't speak for Cut, but having your QB miss Spring practice is generally frowned upon. Our football team needs QBs more than our basketball team needs walkons, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I can't speak for Cut, but having your QB miss Spring practice is generally frowned upon. Our football team needs QBs more than our basketball team needs walkons, I suspect.
    I'm missing something. Who missed practice next year? (And the whole team missed practice this year, right?)

I'm missing something. Who missed practice next year? (And the whole team missed practice this year, right?)
    I believe the point was that Leonard could not walk on to the basketball team without missing spring football practice.

Or were you joshing us?