R.I.P. Morgan Wootten

He was one of the great basketball coaches and by all accounts a tremendous human being.

Here's an obituary: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...455_story.html

Here's a summary of his coaching accomplishments: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...cy-by-numbers/

A legend! Other than Danny Ferry and Mike Brey, did Mr. Wooten send anyone else our way?

Feinstein on Wooten

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    A legend! Other than Danny Ferry and Mike Brey, did Mr. Wooten send anyone else our way?
    Kenny Blakeney. Joe Kennedy from the Bubas era.

All time great coach and a lovely man. My eight year old son and I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Wooten at our hotel when we were in College Park Maryland for a Duke football game - in 1996 I think. He could not have been nicer or more gracious. RIP.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

A lovely man and a great, honorable competitor. I shook his hand at one of the camps he ran at Mt. St. Mary's when my son attended.

A true gentleman. Godspeed Coach!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Good article and nice to see our own Quinn Cook in the third photo down, which is is captioned "Wootten watches his players celebrate a WCAC championship".

Morgan Wooten retired in 2002. Quinn Cook (High School class of 2011) played at DeMatha 2008-2010 before transferring to Oak Hill.

So FWIW, I believe that photo is miscaptioned and it is simply of Wooten attending, but not coaching, the 2009, 2010, or 2011 WCAC championship game.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Wooten story

In 1997, Wooten wrote a book about his career and related things, A Coach For All Seasons. He then appeared on a radio show on an NPR station here in DC to discuss it. It was a nice interview. I remember he said something like "People always ask me: did you have a good year? I tell them it's too early to tell. Ask me in 20 years when we know how the players turned out."

Just an amazing guy.

Fabulous article, thanks for posting. It's a must read!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Feinstein also wrote a book about Red Auerbach, called Let me Tell You a Story, that centers around the stories Auerbach would tell at his weekly lunch with a group of old basketball buddies.

Wooten was an attendee at those lunches, and in fact Wooten was the one to get Feinstein invited in the first place. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall, listening to Auerbach and Wooten discuss basketball.

I hate to be that guy, but it’s Wootten. Two Os and two Ts.

grew up in fairfax county. mom was a teacher at robinson high school and i got to see dematha and coach wootten lots of times when i was growing up. what a legend

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but it’s Wootten. Two Os and two Ts.
    No worries. Typos and grammar corrections don't cross the "needless posting" threshold, though sometimes I wish they would...