Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    At first blush, I see three wins (MTSU, Elon and GTech). The rest, as of today, seem like losses or toss-ups (Charlotte, Miami, Cheats) at best.
    I don’t see State as a strong team next year. Would put them in the tossup group.

This is about all we could expect really. With @Notre Dame on the schedule and with our division schedule and Wake, that's not a lot of "easy" games to be had. Aside from getting Syracuse (again), it wasn't going to be much easier. Three winnable games outside of the conference, one game we're likely to lose. And a bunch of tough but mostly winnable conference games.

Basically, gotta hope we win our 3 winnable conference games and then go at least 3-5 in conference.

We went 3-1 in 2019 against the teams we play in November - past returns, future success caveat for sure - but I like it on paper.

Start strong with the non-conference games, finish strong, figure out how to win some games in the middle.

As for my negative reactions, two non-Saturday games are very inconvenient to fans who travel from outside the local area to attend. Thursday is worse than Friday but I dislike both.

More comments to follow...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    We went 3-1 in 2019 against the teams we play in November - past returns, future success caveat for sure - but I like it on paper.

Start strong with the non-conference games, finish strong, figure out how to win some games in the middle.

As for my negative reactions, two non-Saturday games are very inconvenient to fans who travel from outside the local area to attend. Thursday is worse than Friday but I dislike both.

More comments to follow...
    As a local but one with a young child, I hear you on the non-Saturday games (which are by definition night games). That's about the biggest/only real complaint for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Charlotte isn't a game to look at as a guaranteed win, they are good. Starting with them, there are six straight games against teams that went bowling last year.
    In fact there are only three teams on the schedule that stayed home like we did. Elon, MTSU, and GT.
    State did not go to a bowl and finished last in the Atlantic division.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    State did not go to a bowl and finished last in the Atlantic division.
    Yep, I missed them. Hopefully they aren't that great this coming season either. They can be such an up and down team; let's catch them on a down day.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    This is about all we could expect really. With @Notre Dame on the schedule and with our division schedule and Wake, that's not a lot of "easy" games to be had. Aside from getting Syracuse (again), it wasn't going to be much easier. Three winnable games outside of the conference, one game we're likely to lose. And a bunch of tough but mostly winnable conference games.

Basically, gotta hope we win our 3 winnable conference games and then go at least 3-5 in conference.
    yessir, the Cut formula has been win at least 3 out of our four out of conference games (I think that's what you meant) and win three in the ACC...putting Bama on the schedule in lieu of a cupcake cost us a bowl, not that we deserved one...
    At some point it would be nice to go at least .500 in the league, something we haven't done in some years...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    At some point it would be nice to go at least .500 in the league, something we haven't done in some years...
    2015: 4-4
    2014: 5-3
    2013: 6-2

We’ve finished .500 or better in conference three times in the Coach Cutcliffe era. Folks talk about the program taking the next step, I’d define the next step as finishing .500 or better in the ACC every year.
    Bob Green

yessir, the Cut formula has been win at least 3 out of our four out of conference games (I think that's what you meant) and win three in the ACC...putting Bama on the schedule in lieu of a cupcake cost us a bowl, not that we deserved one...
    Yep, and thanks for correctly interpreting my typo. Indeed: win three NON-conference games and hope to go 3-5 or better in conference.

And/But...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    2015: 4-4
    2014: 5-3
    2013: 6-2

We’ve finished .500 or better in conference three times in the Coach Cutcliffe era. Folks talk about the program taking the next step, I’d define the next step as finishing .500 or better in the ACC every year.
    Totally agree. The program seemed to have made progress in the early/mid 10s. Not so much since. Word around the program is that the talent is there, but the coaching (read: assistants, not Cut) is not. Hopefully a bit of coaching shakeup - if if happens - will get the ship headed in the right direction. But regardless, getting the program winning 4+ conference games would be a wonderful thing.

Defense does seem to be improving, it kept us in several games last year (e.g. Pitt) where the offense did zip. Two good co-coordinators there, Guerrieri and Albert.
    Hope we see a similar improvement on the offensive side...

Nice beginning of the season, three relatively (emphasis) easy games to break in a new QB, OC, etc...
    I've been busy for a while...do we have a new OC????

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I've been busy for a while...do we have a new OC????
    No, but either a new OC hire or some "restructuring" that leaves someone other than Roper as OC is the trendy rumor.