Thread: Tre vs Tyus

1. Tre vs Tyus

Would anyone here take Trae over Tyus? Think we can all agree Tyus is the better player, either as of now or when they were at Duke. Yet Tyus is just a backup PG in the NBA playing about 20 mpg.

What's the draft pick for that? I don't think Trae can do better than late 1st round pick.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Yeah, you could easily be right. He's definitely below average on offense for an NBA point guard. However, teams are now valuing defense more than they did in the past (when guys like Draymond Green and Patrick Beverly were passed up by many, many teams). So I could see a savvy GM making the decision to take Tre as a late first rounder. Many teams are now regretting on passing up on Brandon Clarke and Matisse Thybulle in this past draft, as well. So, I could definitely see Tre sneaking in there around picks #25-#30.
    Which puts him on a good team. I wish this for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Would anyone here take Trae over Tyus? Think we can all agree Tyus is the better player, either as of now or when they were at Duke. Yet Tyus is just a backup PG in the NBA playing about 20 mpg.

What's the draft pick for that? I don't think Trae can do better than late 1st round pick.
    Do you - or do you not - - know how much money $5 million is?

(Imagine those dashes as claps)

Trae Young? Absolutely.

Tre Jones can and probably should have a long career in the NBA. He's a plus defender, good distributor, and is demonstrating that he can be a decent shooter this season. He's hitting 35% from 3 on nearly 4 attempts a game. He needs to hit his free throws more consistently. But as a backup PG, there are a ton of teams that would take him. Backup PG is an important position in the NBA and Tre has NBA-level defense and can run a team. I doubt he'll ever be a starter, but he's incredibly valuable and would pair well with a scoring guard like Devin Booker in certain situations. That's basically the role Tyus has in the NBA right now and it's netting him millions.

Yeah, you could easily be right. He's definitely below average on offense for an NBA point guard. However, teams are now valuing defense more than they did in the past (when guys like Draymond Green and Patrick Beverly were passed up by many, many teams). So I could see a savvy GM making the decision to take Tre as a late first rounder. Many teams are now regretting on passing up on Brandon Clarke and Matisse Thybulle in this past draft, as well. So, I could definitely see Tre sneaking in there around picks #25-#30.
    I think the key difference here is that Thybulle can guard wings while Tre can only really guard one position, and Clarke is actually a plus on offense. Clarke was seen as a good finisher coming in, but, while it obviously has no bearing on his draft stock, he has shown more offensively than expected. I really think Tre has good vision, but he struggles shooting and breaking down defenders one on one. He looks built for a Tyus role on offense, but I suspect he will be less efficient. He is definitely better defensively. I think he has some weak moments defensively lately, but I also think that probably has a lot to do with the load he is bearing. His instincts are excellent. I just worry that his size will hurt him defensively in the NBA against some stronger guards or wings on switches.

6. Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Trae Young? Absolutely.

Tre Jones can and probably should have a long career in the NBA. He's a plus defender, good distributor, and is demonstrating that he can be a decent shooter this season. He's hitting 35% from 3 on nearly 4 attempts a game. He needs to hit his free throws more consistently. But as a backup PG, there are a ton of teams that would take him. Backup PG is an important position in the NBA and Tre has NBA-level defense and can run a team. I doubt he'll ever be a starter, but he's incredibly valuable and would pair well with a scoring guard like Devin Booker in certain situations. That's basically the role Tyus has in the NBA right now and it's netting him millions.
    Oops! Yes I meant Tre.

But yeah the point is, if backup PG is his ceiling, you have to consider the floor could be lower.

$5 million is a lot of money of course.

All this to say that if Tre can get a promise in the first round he would probably go.

Would anyone here take Trae over Tyus? Think we can all agree Tyus is the better player, either as of now or when they were at Duke.
    I would. And I don't. Tre's defense is sooooo much better than Tyus's was at Duke. His career a/to ratio is better than Tyus's was. His career assist% and TO% are about the same as Tyus (though his asst% and TO% this season are both higher than Tyus). Tre is a much better two-point shooter than Tyus was, and his 3pt shooting this season (35.9%) isn't much worse than Tyus's 37.9% (and 3pt shooting and FT shooting are basically Tyus's only advantages in this comparison).

I guess it's not entirely apples-to-apples, since Tyus never got to improve his sophomore season, but given the choice between Tre right now and Tyus at the end of his freshman year, I'd totally take Tre. He's the better overall player.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I would. And I don't. Tre's defense is sooooo much better than Tyus's was at Duke. His career a/to ratio is better than Tyus's was. His career assist% and TO% are about the same as Tyus (though his asst% and TO% this season are both higher than Tyus). Tre is a much better two-point shooter than Tyus was, and his 3pt shooting this season (35.9%) isn't much worse than Tyus's 37.9% (and 3pt shooting and FT shooting are basically Tyus's only advantages in this comparison).

I guess it's not entirely apples-to-apples, since Tyus never got to improve his sophomore season, but given the choice between Tre right now and Tyus at the end of his freshman year, I'd totally take Tre. He's the better overall player.
    Love Tre, but he has yet to prove he's as clutch as Tyus was in big games.

Tyus was absolutely huge in late game situations vs Carolina in Cameron, and vs Wisconsin in the national championship game. Just to name two really big wins. Tre hasn't done that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

I think it's only fair if you compare apples to apples, so freshman Tre with Freshman Tyus. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and how effective they can be sort of depends on the strengths of their teammates. I think Tre would have done just fine in Tyus' place on the 2015 team, but Tyus' perimeter shooting would have been a huge plus for the 2019 team. I'll take freshman Tyus over freshman Tre.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Love Tre, but he has yet to prove he's as clutch as Tyus was in big games.

Tyus was absolutely huge in late game situations vs Carolina in Cameron, and vs Wisconsin in the national championship game. Just to name two really big wins. Tre hasn't done that yet.
    Big 3 against Virginia too after being down 9 points late if I’m not mistaken.

I think it's only fair if you compare apples to apples, so freshman Tre with Freshman Tyus. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and how effective they can be sort of depends on the strengths of their teammates. I think Tre would have done just fine in Tyus' place on the 2015 team, but Tyus' perimeter shooting would have been a huge plus for the 2019 team. I'll take freshman Tyus over freshman Tre.
    Freshman Tre was an atrocious 3pt shooter (26.2%). And he was open during nearly every one of these 3s as the D packed in against Zion, RJ, and, to a lesser extent, Reddish.

I'd take frosh Tyus over frosh Tre any day of the week, as 3pt shooting from a PG trumps on ball defense for me.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I'll let you know after season ends.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'll let you know after season ends.

GoDuke!
    Gonna make us wait til April?
    Well, OK.

I totally get it and the discussion is interesting but this thread kind of makes me hem and haw. I love them both.
    I realize this is a mental exercise.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I totally get it and the discussion is interesting but this thread kind of makes me hem and haw. I love them both.
    I realize this is a mental exercise.
    I’m with weezie.
    Dualistic thinking only takes you so far.

I can appreciate each for who they are, and what they have done, independently of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m with weezie.
    Dualistic thinking only takes you so far.

I can appreciate each for who they are, and what they have done, independently of the other.
    Agree. It's like asking a parent or grandparent "who is your favorite". They all are for various reasons.