Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I thought it was football thread discussions of Deon Jackson and whether he is getting enough touches as running back for Duke.
    Nah, it's the study of whether or not Deon Sanders should have changed his nickname (from Neon Deon at FSU) to "Prime Time" in the NFL. And the answer is, NO, he should not have. Neon Deon was one of the all time great, and apropos, monikers.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    This is classic deontology (morality is based on the action itself) vs consequentialism (the outcome matters in how the action should be judged). I think deontology certainly makes sense, but it's emotionally difficult not separating actions based on outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I thought that "deontology" was the study of dual-sport athletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I thought it was football thread discussions of Deon Jackson and whether he is getting enough touches as running back for Duke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Nah. It's a dental specialty.
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Nah, it's the study of whether or not Deon Sanders should have changed his nickname (from Neon Deon at FSU) to "Prime Time" in the NFL.
    You're all wrong. Deontology is the act of visiting the Smith Center in a Presbyterian University polo shirt and taunting Deon Thompson at the free throw line. (Hypothetically.)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    You're all wrong. Deontology is the act of visiting the Smith Center in a Presbyterian University polo shirt and taunting Deon Thompson at the free throw line. (Hypothetically.)
    Brev....it's rare rare rare indeed...but I think I gotcha on this one...

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Nah, it's the study of whether or not Deon Sanders should have changed his nickname (from Neon Deon at FSU) to "Prime Time" in the NFL. And the answer is, NO, he should not have. Neon Deon was one of the all time great, and apropos, monikers.
    Deion.

I tried to watch GameDay with an open mind. They at least pretended to acknowledge the seriousness of the brawl along with the other recent “problems”. Bill Self tried to act contrite. However, what really happened was that Kansas and Bill Self were given a forum to let the nation know that they are a great program, that the NCAA accusations (in spite of the evidence) are false, and that none of the current players were involved in any NCAA violations. Oh, and the events at the Snoop Dogg show were all someone else’s fault. Basically, in the guise of discussing the seriousness of all these issues, they were allowed to declare to the nation that they are still “really good people”.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I tried to watch GameDay with an open mind. They at least pretended to acknowledge the seriousness of the brawl along with the other recent “problems”. Bill Self tried to act contrite. However, what really happened was that Kansas and Bill Self were given a forum to let the nation know that they are a great program, that the NCAA accusations (in spite of the evidence) are false, and that none of the current players were involved in any NCAA violations. Oh, and the events at the Snoop Dogg show were all someone else’s fault. Basically, in the guise of discussing the seriousness of all these issues, they were allowed to declare to the nation that they are still “really good people”.
    Totally agree with you. It ended up being a PR win for Kansas. Which I personally find kind of disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Totally agree with you. It ended up being a PR win for Kansas. Which I personally find kind of disgusting.
    Just like every single other Game Day, but much worse in this case.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Let me preface this by saying, I was so disgusted by the brawl earlier this week I have not really followed the fallout. I just flipped over to ESPN and Kansas was playing Tennessee. I was shocked to see Garrett playing. Am I wrong or was he not in the middle of all that throwing punches too?

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    Let me preface this by saying, I was so disgusted by the brawl earlier this week I have not really followed the fallout. I just flipped over to ESPN and Kansas was playing Tennessee. I was shocked to see Garrett playing. Am I wrong or was he not in the middle of all that throwing punches too?
    He was one of the players Coach Self was holding back by the jersey - so among the 3 that had gone into the crowd after the KSU player on the ground by the wall.

I am sure he showed remorse so was cleared to play.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am sure he showed remorse so was cleared to play.
    He also didn't get to choose the game day menu.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    OK, time to set this straight about touching the ball after your team scored. From A Season Is A Lifetime and as far as K was concerned, it was the Laettner rule.
    It's five paragraphs in the book, I can't find it on-line anywhere so I'll quote some and summarize it from my copy of the book.

Duke-WFU 2/23/92

"Duke leads 67-57 with 5:19 to go and Laettner gets his 2nd T of the game for hanging on the rim, the only time it was called on Duke all year. It was the 3rd T that outraged K. The cheats got a T for touching the ball when they complained about Laettner touching the ball after Duke scored. Dean's myth whined to Barrakat the acc supervisor of officials who sent a memo out and K thought this was the only thing officials were paying attention to for a couple weeks whether it was deliberate or not or interfered with the next play. K thought it wouldn't have mattered much if someone else was the original offender OR the original whiner had been someone who was less prominent. You Suck Richard then T'ed up G. Hill with the irony being the touched ball went right to a WFU player who began play immediately. K thought the ref might get the "frickin' Congressional Medal of Honor."

And, on the very next play after the Duke T, a WFU player touched the ball after a WFU basket and nothing was called. K didn't complain publicly but he did talk to Barrakat the next day."
    I want a copy of this book. The writing is exquisite!

I haven't read all 14 pages, and someone may have already suggested this, but it seems obvious to me that this whole event should be referred to as the Phog of War. Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    I want a copy of this book. The writing is exquisite!
    Available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Season-Lifeti.../dp/0671798111

Disclaimer: I have no financial interests in Amazon or this book.

(I must admit I did change a phrase or two in my quoting/summary of the events. )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Season-Lifeti.../dp/0671798111

Disclaimer: I have no financial interests in Amazon or this book.

(I must admit I did change a phrase or two in my quoting/summary of the events. )
    dd should do the audiobook version.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    I haven't read all 14 pages, and someone may have already suggested this, but it seems obvious to me that this whole event should be referred to as the Phog of War. Thank you for your time.
    ....nah, it should be called "SERVPRO"....like it never even happened....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    ...nah, it should be called "SERVPRO"...like it never even happened...

How about "The Neutron Bomb?" No significant fallout, near immediate return to normal activities.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    We discussed this in chat. We seemed to unite under "Sunflower Throwdown" (suggested by toughbuff1). Here were other suggestions:

Phogfight
    The Scare in the Middle of Nowhere
    The Duel with the Stool
    Grayson Allen Field House
    Rumble in the Tumbleweeds
    Row in the Third Row
    Bloody Kansas
    Harm on the Farm
    Red Pandemonium
    Roughhouse in the Field House
    Jock-Knock-Jayhawk
    Rockem Sockem Jayhawk

Might be worth its own thread and poll.

While I think there were a lot of great ones shared, and Phracas in the Phog is probably the best, I have not seen anyone post "Abhorrence in Lawrence," which is one of my favorites that I've read a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjswift View Post
    While I think there were a lot of great ones shared, and Phracas in the Phog is probably the best, I have not seen anyone post "Abhorrence in Lawrence," which is one of my favorites that I've read a few places.
    Lawrence Depravia?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lawrence Depravia?
    Even better. Nailed it.