Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

The Phracas at the Phog

Malice in the Palace level fight broke out at the end of KU/K St. in Lawrence tonight. Yikes!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Ugly situation at the end of the Kansas-Kansas St game. Low class move by the Kansas player who started it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Ugly situation at the end of the Kansas-Kansas St game. Low class move by the Kansas player who started it.
    De Sousa?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Will Kansas or Kansas State even be able to dress 5 players for their next game?

Just...wow.

Luckily the stool was snatched from him but the player who tried to use a stool as a weapon should be done for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It's not clear to me who actually started it. The Kansas State player stole the ball for no reason and went down to score. Low class. Let the guy dribble out the last few seconds of a game in which you are down by more than twenty points.

The Kansas player then decides to block the shot. Unnecessary, but I have no problem with the "not in my house" idea. I don't think blocking the shot was low class.

But then he stands over the guy. Low class, to be sure, but not egregious, in my opinion.

What happened next I don't really know. So I honestly can't tell who started it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Luckily the stool was snatched from him but the player who tried to use a stool as a weapon should be done for the year.
    The NCAA needs to suspend the guy with the stool for the year.

I saw that! I showed it to my wife and she said, "Someone in a suit just saved that kid's season." I think it was DeSousa, though, and his intent clearly was to bash someone over the head, Myles Garret style.

Dickie V just said, "I'll be shocked if DeSousa ever puts on a Kansas jersey again." Bill Self is out of there anyway. He's gonna bolt before the fallout of his own mess.

That kid has a future in the WWE.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 01-21-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: The WWE is a thing isn't it? I hven't watched rasslin since the Haystack Calhoun days.

De Sousa is almost certainly done for the year. Ironic, given he won an appeal to play this year after being implicated in the Adidas scandal.

David McCormack also looks like he's in for an early off-season. Or at least a very long layoff. Sad because I believe he was a target of ours, so you'd like to think he's a good kid. Certainly not a good look for him.

Also whoever the kid was dressed in black that came off the bench that didn't even dress for the game, he prolly won't dress for quite some time.

Bad look, all around. Will be a major fallout and may cripple Kansas for remainder of season.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It's not clear to me who actually started it. The Kansas State player stole the ball for no reason and went down to score. Low class. Let the guy dribble out the last few seconds of a game in which you are down by more than twenty points.

The Kansas player then decides to block the shot. Unnecessary, but I have no problem with the "not in my house" idea. I don't think blocking the shot was low class.

But then he stands over the guy. Low class, to be sure, but not egregious, in my opinion.

What happened next I don't really know. So I honestly can't tell who started it.
    I don't really agree...either the steal and block are both cool or both were low class. (I think both were ultimately fine in context).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't really agree...either the steal and block are both cool or both were low class. (I think both were ultimately fine in context).
    Yup, agree both are about equal. Although I think they were both punk moves. But it is a rivalry game, that happens.

Not to go all black and white, but:

And . . . IIRC this immediately followed the freshman game where UNC did not have five eligible players by the end due to fouls and/or fighting ejections. And, during this brawl, Art Heyman supposedly was flat on the floor and Coach Frank McGuire was standing over him — so Art punched him square in the jimmies.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 01-21-2020 at 10:25 PM.

The steal and the block were both stupid. But being stupid isn't a particularly punishable offense. Especially these days. IMO.

That said, standing over the guy was what crossed the line. That was unnecessary, arrogant, and poor sportsmanship, in a home blowout no less.

I can totally see how that would set someone off.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    The steal and the block were both stupid. But being stupid isn't a particularly punishable offense. Especially these days. IMO.

That said, standing over the guy was what crossed the line. That was unnecessary, arrogant, and poor sportsmanship, in a home blowout no less.

I can totally see how that would set someone off.

- Chillin
    The steal and block were legal, legitimate basketball plays. The worst that will happen is a stern talking to by the coaching staff a temporary reputation for being petty.

What happened afterwards is unforgivable and inexcusable.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The steal and block were legal, legitimate basketball plays. The worst that will happen is a stern talking to by the coaching staff a temporary reputation for being petty.

What happened afterwards is unforgivable and inexcusable.
    Let me vehemently disagree. This is a matter for the league, not the coaches. Self needs to stay out of the way. De Sousa committed a crime -- and he's "three strikes and you're out" and will never play college hoops again. Multi-game suspensions for a number of players.

A disgrace to the game
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Let me vehemently disagree. This is a matter for the league, not the coaches. Self needs to stay out of the way. De Sousa committed a crime -- and he's "three strikes and you're out" and will never play college hoops again. Multi-game suspensions for a number of players.

A disgrace to the game
    I don’t think you read my post correctly. Please reread
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

A disgrace to the game
    Fdd was saying the steal and block would be things dealt with by the coaches if it had ended there. Not the fight. I agree that it was the standing over and barking that finally crossed the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Fdd was saying the steak and block would be things dealt with by the coachesmif it had ended there. Not the fight. I agree that it was the standing over and barking that finally crossed the line.
    Bingo

Just a minor item

Did anyone notice the policeman basically standing there?

On the other hand, it was good to see some of the coaches flying into the scrum trying to break things up.

This needs a Malice-in-the-Palace-esque name.

I’m thinking “The Flog in the Phog.”