Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 162

Thread: Ymm, Spicy Food

  1. #121
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you like vindaloo and are in the Triangle area, look for Kerala Curry’s vindaloo.

    It was so spicy no one else in my family could eat it. It was fabulous!
    Going to cook something with the Kerala Vindaloo sauce tonight. Any suggestions or favorite ways to eat it?

    Ymmm heat

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Going to cook something with the Kerala Vindaloo sauce tonight. Any suggestions or favorite ways to eat it?

    Ymmm heat
    We used chicken. I imagine lamb would be amazing.

    Interested to see what you think.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Going to cook something with the Kerala Vindaloo sauce tonight. Any suggestions or favorite ways to eat it?

    Ymmm heat
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    We used chicken. I imagine lamb would be amazing.

    Interested to see what you think.
    You two gonna need some fire extinguishers. Might I suggest:

    http://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/specialty/hopslam-ale

    or, more locally:

    https://www.foothillsbrewing.com/brews/double-ipa/

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #124
    Anyone used their products?
    https://www.oakridgebbq.com/

    Habanero Death Dust sounds interesting.
    Sadly looks like all their products use sugar.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Anyone used their products?
    https://www.oakridgebbq.com/

    Habanero Death Dust sounds interesting.
    Sadly looks like all their products use sugar.
    The Black Ops brisket rub is very good, it was my go-to before I went back to just salt n’ pepper.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  6. #126
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm a spicy food junkie, too. I never ate spicy food at all as a child, but I went to medical school in New Orleans, and the rest is history.
    I don't like hot sauce that is just heat without flavor and I'm not a fan of hot sauce that pretty much tastes like vinegar. Crystal is way better than Tabasco, in other words. Melinda's is better than either.

    Most things are better with some heat. Dark chocolate is one of those things. The first time I tried a bar of dark chocolate with cayenne I almost crashed my car. I should never have tried it whilst driving. Best chocolate bar ever is a bar called "firecracker," made by Chuao. It's a smooth dark chocolate with heat and pop rocks. Amazing. Put a piece in your mouth and suck on it: it starts as a smooth, rich dark chocolate; then you get the heat, which is just right; finally, at the very end, you get the little explosions. Fantastic. If you haven't tried it, you need to.
    Another thing that is really tasty is jalapeno jelly on chocolate ice cream. Yum. My wife thinks I'm crazy.
    Finally, a few months ago I picked up a jar of blackberry-jalapeno jam that is amazing. Much spicier than I expected when I saw it, but she allowed me to taste it. It's delicious on grilled cheese sandwiches!
    Awesome thanks! Got some firecrackers on the way just in time for july 4, I mean Feb. 14. boom

    just in case maybe I better include some flowers

  7. #127
    Besides mustard choice, how would you spice up corned beef and cabbage?

  8. #128
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    We used chicken. I imagine lamb would be amazing.

    Interested to see what you think.
    We also just went with chicken. Jenn marinated the chicken in the Vindaloo sauce for 30 minutes and then cooked it in the sauce. We had it over rice. Sides were Naan and fresh broiled mangoes.

    This Vindaloo is outstanding! Thanks for the rec. This would be WAY too hot for devildeac and probably 97% of eaters. I loved it. It's very hot and clears the sinuses for sure. Have tissues on hand. But it has nice curry flavor that made me want to eat more. The Naan cut the heat some.

    I had it with Foothills new Festival Express Juicy IPA. Devildeac would be proud. That beer with its festival of tropical flavors paired perfectly with this dish. More on the beer later. Suffice it to say, it's good!

    They even had the firecracker candy bar at Harris Teeter. We're about to have that with some Breyer's Vanilla.

    Thanks again. Ymmm Vindaloo. Great night.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    We used chicken. I imagine lamb would be amazing.

    Interested to see what you think.

    Well, I don't know anything about Indian fare, and I've certainly never cooked with Vindaloo, so I had to consult Chef Google for suggestions on what to do with it. Most recipes involved chicken, so that's what I went with. That, and the fact that I've never tried cooking lamb, and I wasn't feeling especially adventurous tonight.

    Anyway, the chicken was really good with it, despite my lack of experience with this culinary genre. I needed milk (read: fire extinguisher) but enjoyed it very much. And it made the hubby happy, so I'm calling it a W. Thanks for the recommendation!

    As for all of the other new hot sauces that found their way into our pantry this week (thanks to this thread), I have no idea what they will garnish. I'll defer to husband on that.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    We also just went with chicken. Jenn marinated the chicken in the Vindaloo sauce for 30 minutes and then cooked it in the sauce. We had it over rice. Sides were Naan and fresh broiled mangoes.

    This Vindaloo is outstanding! Thanks for the rec. This would be WAY too hot for devildeac and probably 97% of eaters. I loved it. It's very hot and clears the sinuses for sure. Have tissues on hand. But it has nice curry flavor that made me want to eat more. The Naan cut the heat some.

    I had it with Foothills new Festival Express Juicy IPA. Devildeac would be proud. That beer with its festival of tropical flavors paired perfectly with this dish. More on the beer later. Suffice it to say, it's good!

    They even had the firecracker candy bar at Harris Teeter. We're about to have that with some Breyer's Vanilla.

    Thanks again. Ymmm Vindaloo. Great night.
    Glad you liked it!

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by beergoddess View Post
    Well, I don't know anything about Indian fare, and I've certainly never cooked with Vindaloo, so I had to consult Chef Google for suggestions on what to do with it. Most recipes involved chicken, so that's what I went with. That, and the fact that I've never tried cooking lamb, and I wasn't feeling especially adventurous tonight.

    Anyway, the chicken was really good with it, despite my lack of experience with this culinary genre. I needed milk (read: fire extinguisher) but enjoyed it very much. And it made the hubby happy, so I'm calling it a W. Thanks for the recommendation!

    As for all of the other new hot sauces that found their way into our pantry this week (thanks to this thread), I have no idea what they will garnish. I'll defer to husband on that.
    Sounds like you hit a home run cooking it.

    Indian dishes can be tempered with yogurt/yogurt sauce if you are so inclined.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm a spicy food junkie, too. I never ate spicy food at all as a child, but I went to medical school in New Orleans, and the rest is history.
    I don't like hot sauce that is just heat without flavor and I'm not a fan of hot sauce that pretty much tastes like vinegar. Crystal is way better than Tabasco, in other words. Melinda's is better than either.

    Most things are better with some heat. Dark chocolate is one of those things. The first time I tried a bar of dark chocolate with cayenne I almost crashed my car. I should never have tried it whilst driving. Best chocolate bar ever is a bar called "firecracker," made by Chuao. It's a smooth dark chocolate with heat and pop rocks. Amazing. Put a piece in your mouth and suck on it: it starts as a smooth, rich dark chocolate; then you get the heat, which is just right; finally, at the very end, you get the little explosions. Fantastic. If you haven't tried it, you need to.
    Another thing that is really tasty is jalapeno jelly on chocolate ice cream. Yum. My wife thinks I'm crazy.
    Finally, a few months ago I picked up a jar of blackberry-jalapeno jam that is amazing. Much spicier than I expected when I saw it, but she allowed me to taste it. It's delicious on grilled cheese sandwiches!
    Firecracker just as you described. So fun and so good!

    great call - thanks!

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    4C55B6F7-501B-4952-916E-16D693FE6BB0.jpg

    Picked this up at Kro-jay because it was cheap and this thread inspired me to try new sauces. Very mild I thought, heat is very front tongue and not overwhelming. Sounds hotter than it is, for sure.

    Kinda bright tasting, not great but for a buck fifty what do you want?
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    4C55B6F7-501B-4952-916E-16D693FE6BB0.jpgbut for a buck fifty what do you want?
    This is why I pretty much gave up beer. I found even the more expensive stuff wanting.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Homemade dry beef curry tonight. My wife has friends of the family from India that live stateside now. He makes small batches of indian hot peppers in oil and spices and hands them out to friends, who are mostly terrified of them because of their heat. Not my wife and . We love them, which he loves so we usually get lots of jars around Christmas and birthdays. He breeds his own pepper plants year-to-year, up-selecting the hottest plants. We've got multiple vintages dating back a few years.

    He has promised to give us the recipe once he can't garden on his own anymore but refuses to give it out until then.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Making some Jambalaya tonight and throwing in a couple of scotch bonnets for heat. Louisiana hot sauce for a topper. Mmmmm....

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Making some Jambalaya tonight and throwing in a couple of scotch bonnets for heat. Louisiana hot sauce for a topper. Mmmmm...
    Ooooooo...love a good jambalaya.

    Much like Francisco, fun to say!

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Ooooooo...love a good jambalaya.

    Much like Francisco, fun to say!


  20. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a dish of General Tso's chicken the other day, and I specifically asked for it to be spicy. It was...not. It was very flavorful, but not even thinking about being hot enough. Disappointing.

Similar Threads

  1. Road food
    By allenmurray in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 09:57 AM
  2. Spicy DBR!
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
  3. Food in Keyboards
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •