Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Spicy Food

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you like vindaloo and are in the Triangle area, look for Kerala Curry’s vindaloo.

It was so spicy no one else in my family could eat it. It was fabulous!
    Going to cook something with the Kerala Vindaloo sauce tonight. Any suggestions or favorite ways to eat it?

Ymmm heat

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Going to cook something with the Kerala Vindaloo sauce tonight. Any suggestions or favorite ways to eat it?

Ymmm heat
    We used chicken. I imagine lamb would be amazing.

Interested to see what you think.

Ymmm heat

You two gonna need some fire extinguishers. Might I suggest:

http://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/specialty/hopslam-ale

or, more locally:

https://www.foothillsbrewing.com/brews/double-ipa/

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Anyone used their products?
    https://www.oakridgebbq.com/

Habanero Death Dust sounds interesting.
    Sadly looks like all their products use sugar.

Anyone used their products?
    https://www.oakridgebbq.com/

Habanero Death Dust sounds interesting.
    Sadly looks like all their products use sugar.
    The Black Ops brisket rub is very good, it was my go-to before I went back to just salt n’ pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm a spicy food junkie, too. I never ate spicy food at all as a child, but I went to medical school in New Orleans, and the rest is history.
    I don't like hot sauce that is just heat without flavor and I'm not a fan of hot sauce that pretty much tastes like vinegar. Crystal is way better than Tabasco, in other words. Melinda's is better than either.

Most things are better with some heat. Dark chocolate is one of those things. The first time I tried a bar of dark chocolate with cayenne I almost crashed my car. I should never have tried it whilst driving. Best chocolate bar ever is a bar called "firecracker," made by Chuao. It's a smooth dark chocolate with heat and pop rocks. Amazing. Put a piece in your mouth and suck on it: it starts as a smooth, rich dark chocolate; then you get the heat, which is just right; finally, at the very end, you get the little explosions. Fantastic. If you haven't tried it, you need to.
    Another thing that is really tasty is jalapeno jelly on chocolate ice cream. Yum. My wife thinks I'm crazy.
    Finally, a few months ago I picked up a jar of blackberry-jalapeno jam that is amazing. Much spicier than I expected when I saw it, but she allowed me to taste it. It's delicious on grilled cheese sandwiches!
    Awesome thanks! Got some firecrackers on the way just in time for july 4, I mean Feb. 14. boom

just in case maybe I better include some flowers

Besides mustard choice, how would you spice up corned beef and cabbage?

We also just went with chicken. Jenn marinated the chicken in the Vindaloo sauce for 30 minutes and then cooked it in the sauce. We had it over rice. Sides were Naan and fresh broiled mangoes.

This Vindaloo is outstanding! Thanks for the rec. This would be WAY too hot for devildeac and probably 97% of eaters. I loved it. It's very hot and clears the sinuses for sure. Have tissues on hand. But it has nice curry flavor that made me want to eat more. The Naan cut the heat some.

I had it with Foothills new Festival Express Juicy IPA. Devildeac would be proud. That beer with its festival of tropical flavors paired perfectly with this dish. More on the beer later. Suffice it to say, it's good!

They even had the firecracker candy bar at Harris Teeter. We're about to have that with some Breyer's Vanilla.

Thanks again. Ymmm Vindaloo. Great night.

Well, I don't know anything about Indian fare, and I've certainly never cooked with Vindaloo, so I had to consult Chef Google for suggestions on what to do with it. Most recipes involved chicken, so that's what I went with. That, and the fact that I've never tried cooking lamb, and I wasn't feeling especially adventurous tonight.

Anyway, the chicken was really good with it, despite my lack of experience with this culinary genre. I needed milk (read: fire extinguisher) but enjoyed it very much. And it made the hubby happy, so I'm calling it a W. Thanks for the recommendation!

As for all of the other new hot sauces that found their way into our pantry this week (thanks to this thread), I have no idea what they will garnish. I'll defer to husband on that.

We also just went with chicken. Jenn marinated the chicken in the Vindaloo sauce for 30 minutes and then cooked it in the sauce. We had it over rice. Sides were Naan and fresh broiled mangoes.

This Vindaloo is outstanding! Thanks for the rec. This would be WAY too hot for devildeac and probably 97% of eaters. I loved it. It's very hot and clears the sinuses for sure. Have tissues on hand. But it has nice curry flavor that made me want to eat more. The Naan cut the heat some.

I had it with Foothills new Festival Express Juicy IPA. Devildeac would be proud. That beer with its festival of tropical flavors paired perfectly with this dish. More on the beer later. Suffice it to say, it's good!

They even had the firecracker candy bar at Harris Teeter. We're about to have that with some Breyer's Vanilla.

Thanks again. Ymmm Vindaloo. Great night.
    Glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by beergoddess View Post
    Well, I don't know anything about Indian fare, and I've certainly never cooked with Vindaloo, so I had to consult Chef Google for suggestions on what to do with it. Most recipes involved chicken, so that's what I went with. That, and the fact that I've never tried cooking lamb, and I wasn't feeling especially adventurous tonight.

Anyway, the chicken was really good with it, despite my lack of experience with this culinary genre. I needed milk (read: fire extinguisher) but enjoyed it very much. And it made the hubby happy, so I'm calling it a W. Thanks for the recommendation!

As for all of the other new hot sauces that found their way into our pantry this week (thanks to this thread), I have no idea what they will garnish. I'll defer to husband on that.
    Sounds like you hit a home run cooking it.

Indian dishes can be tempered with yogurt/yogurt sauce if you are so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm a spicy food junkie, too. I never ate spicy food at all as a child, but I went to medical school in New Orleans, and the rest is history.
    I don't like hot sauce that is just heat without flavor and I'm not a fan of hot sauce that pretty much tastes like vinegar. Crystal is way better than Tabasco, in other words. Melinda's is better than either.

Most things are better with some heat. Dark chocolate is one of those things. The first time I tried a bar of dark chocolate with cayenne I almost crashed my car. I should never have tried it whilst driving. Best chocolate bar ever is a bar called "firecracker," made by Chuao. It's a smooth dark chocolate with heat and pop rocks. Amazing. Put a piece in your mouth and suck on it: it starts as a smooth, rich dark chocolate; then you get the heat, which is just right; finally, at the very end, you get the little explosions. Fantastic. If you haven't tried it, you need to.
    Another thing that is really tasty is jalapeno jelly on chocolate ice cream. Yum. My wife thinks I'm crazy.
    Finally, a few months ago I picked up a jar of blackberry-jalapeno jam that is amazing. Much spicier than I expected when I saw it, but she allowed me to taste it. It's delicious on grilled cheese sandwiches!
    Firecracker just as you described. So fun and so good!

great call - thanks!

Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it.

4C55B6F7-501B-4952-916E-16D693FE6BB0.jpg

Picked this up at Kro-jay because it was cheap and this thread inspired me to try new sauces. Very mild I thought, heat is very front tongue and not overwhelming. Sounds hotter than it is, for sure.

Kinda bright tasting, not great but for a buck fifty what do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    4C55B6F7-501B-4952-916E-16D693FE6BB0.jpgbut for a buck fifty what do you want?
    This is why I pretty much gave up beer. I found even the more expensive stuff wanting.

Homemade dry beef curry tonight. My wife has friends of the family from India that live stateside now. He makes small batches of indian hot peppers in oil and spices and hands them out to friends, who are mostly terrified of them because of their heat. Not my wife and . We love them, which he loves so we usually get lots of jars around Christmas and birthdays. He breeds his own pepper plants year-to-year, up-selecting the hottest plants. We've got multiple vintages dating back a few years.

He has promised to give us the recipe once he can't garden on his own anymore but refuses to give it out until then.

Making some Jambalaya tonight and throwing in a couple of scotch bonnets for heat. Louisiana hot sauce for a topper. Mmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Making some Jambalaya tonight and throwing in a couple of scotch bonnets for heat. Louisiana hot sauce for a topper. Mmmmm...
    Ooooooo...love a good jambalaya.

Much like Francisco, fun to say!

Ooooooo...love a good jambalaya.

Much like Francisco, fun to say!

I had a dish of General Tso's chicken the other day, and I specifically asked for it to be spicy. It was...not. It was very flavorful, but not even thinking about being hot enough. Disappointing.