Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Spicy Food

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I did a quick Google search expecting to find a nearby restaurant, but came up...bland. Is this a restaurant? Where do I eat this?

Very interesting. Is this in place of the salsa they typically bring out with chips, or do would i be expecting a bottle of "the good stuff" that I add to the meal...?

LOL!! Like completely the opposite of literally exactly what New Orleans is...

Sounds like my wife.
    The vindaloo sauce is bottled and in grocery stores. We’ve found it at Whole Foods.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    The vindaloo sauce is bottled and in grocery stores. We’ve found it at Whole Foods.
    How hot?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Marriage tip: don’t compare your wife to a hamburger, let alone a delivery system for jalapeños.
    MrsPK, though, is one spicy meatball.
    And meat-a-balls are made with...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Yes, I grow jalapeños and cayenne peppers every spring and summer. They normally keep producing into October in Virginia.
    Same in Pennsylvania. Do you buy new seeds each year? I'm thinking about trying my hand at hand pollinating in the future but right now I buy year to year different varietals. My habaneros are inside now and still bearing peppers, albeit small ones.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And meat-a-balls are made with...
    Love. Pure love.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yep, that’s the one. I love that place too.
    When I have business in ATL I throw a cooler in the car in case I get a chance to stop. I like the little cafe too, usually some good-ish world food.
    This was a regular stop for the 3 years we lived in Atlanta. Mostly on the weekends when it was absolutely jam packed. If I was trying my hand at something that required good seafood, cheeses, bread or somewhat hard to find ingredients, this was the place. Not a bad wine and beer selection either.

From this article:

https://pepperjoe.com/pages/hot-pepper-heat-scale

15,000,000 - 16,000,000 “5 Pure Capsacin
    2,000,000 - 10,000,000 “5 Pepper Extracts - ie, The Source, Blair’s Reserve
    8,800,000 - 9,100,000 “5 Norhydrocapsaicin
    6,000,000 - 8,600,000 “5 Homocapsaicin, Homodihydrocapsaicin
    2,500,000 - 5,300,000 “5 US Grade Police Pepper Spray
    2,000,000 - 2,200,000 “5 Carolina Reaper
    1,150,000 - 2,000,000 “5 Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T, Naga Viper, Common Pepper Spray
    855,000 - 1,463,000 “4 Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia)
    876,000 - 970,000 “4 Dorset Naga
    350,000 - 855,000 “4 Red Savina Habanero, Indian Tezpur
    100,000 - 350,000 “4 Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Bird’s Eye, Jamaican
    50,000 - 100,000 “3 Thai Hot Peppers, Chilitepin, Santaka
    30,000 - 50,000 “3 Cayenne, Tabasco, Pequin, Aji
    15,000 - 30,000 “3 Chile de Arbol, Manzano
    5,000 - 15,000 “2 Serrano, Yellow Wax Pepper
    2,500 - 20,000 “2 Jalapeno, Poblano, Chipotle, Mirasol
    1,500 - 2,500 “2 Sandia, Cascabel, NuMex Big Jim
    1,000 - 1,500 “1 Ancho, Anaheim, Pasilla, Espanola
    100 - 1,000 “1 Paprika, Mexican Bell, Pepperoncini, Cherry
    0 - 100 “1 Sweet Bell Peppers, Sweet Banana, Pimento
    I'd say I do habanero or scotch bonnets, sliced or minced w/ seeds in, in dishes several times a month. Much north of that it's tough to say. Eat a ghost pepper salsa but it must be the powder or extract or something. Never done a carolina reaper. South of a habanero is child's play as far as I'm concerned.

How hot?
    Hard to give a great description, I’ll try to give you an idea of how I think about hot.

I don’t eat ghost peppers, scorpion peppers, etc raw.

I like heat until it crosses into a pain threshold.

I’ve been to India, but never had true Indian hot or Thai hot food.

For me, that brand of vindaloo is super flavorful and really hot but not painful. Hope that helps- if you try it, I’d enjoy hearing what you thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I'd say I do habanero or scotch bonnets, sliced or minced w/ seeds in, in dishes several times a month. Much north of that it's tough to say. Eat a ghost pepper salsa but it must be the powder or extract or something. Never done a carolina reaper. South of a habanero is child's play as far as I'm concerned.

That's me!!

I'll try to find the c*rolina reaper-infused beer I had with fuse one time.

From 8/25/17 on Ymm, Beer:

"Ginger Reaper Variant (draft)-Bond Brothers Brewing Company

This was a 2 ounce taster of what I guess is their standard imperial stout but brewed with ginger and c*rolina reapers (Don't Fear).

What's a c*rolina reaper?

Here ya go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Reaper

After reading this, I'm amazed I made it through my sample:

"Bred in a Rock Hill, South Carolina greenhouse by "Smokin" Ed Currie, proprietor of the PuckerButt Pepper Company in Fort Mill, the Carolina Reaper has been certified as the world's hottest chili pepper by Guinness World Records since August 7, 2013. The original crossbreed was between a Bhut jolokia (a former world record holder) and a red habanero, and is named 'Reaper' due to the shape of its tail. The official Guinness World Record heat level is 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), according to tests conducted by Winthrop University in South Carolina. The figure is an average for the tested batch; the hottest individual pepper was measured at 2.2 million SHU.

Holy Name: 220px-Carolina_Reaper_pepper_pods.jpg
    Views: 22
    Size: 11.7 KB!

I'm fortunate the (almost) omniscient fuse was with me so I could ask what it was and when I was edjumacated, at least I had the sense to ask for a taste before the purchase, which, of course, never occurred.

That's a lot of bloviating for a 2 ounce sample which was dark brown, slightly foamy and had aromas of chocolate, heavily toasted grains and a bit of coffee. Tastes were pretty similar with hints of ginger and a moderate heat/burn from the peppers. Not as fiery as the Evil Twin Mini Dingo, but warm enough to say no thanks to a 10 ounce snifter for $4.

Your DeKalb Farmer’s Market? If so, my favorite store in the world. Seriously.
    I love YDFM. During my grad school days at Emory in the early 2000s it was my go-to grocery store as much as possible. Learned a lot about cooking Indian and Thai food from the ingredients that were readily available there.

Glad to hear that it still going strong.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

From 8/25/17 on Ymm, Beer:

"Ginger Reaper Variant (draft)-Bond Brothers Brewing Company

This was a 2 ounce taster of what I guess is their standard imperial stout but brewed with ginger and c*rolina reapers (Don't Fear).

What's a c*rolina reaper?

Here ya go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Reaper

After reading this, I'm amazed I made it through my sample:

"Bred in a Rock Hill, South Carolina greenhouse by "Smokin" Ed Currie, proprietor of the PuckerButt Pepper Company in Fort Mill, the Carolina Reaper has been certified as the world's hottest chili pepper by Guinness World Records since August 7, 2013. The original crossbreed was between a Bhut jolokia (a former world record holder) and a red habanero, and is named 'Reaper' due to the shape of its tail. The official Guinness World Record heat level is 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), according to tests conducted by Winthrop University in South Carolina. The figure is an average for the tested batch; the hottest individual pepper was measured at 2.2 million SHU.

Holy Name: 220px-Carolina_Reaper_pepper_pods.jpg
    Views: 22
    Size: 11.7 KB!

I'm fortunate the (almost) omniscient fuse was with me so I could ask what it was and when I was edjumacated, at least I had the sense to ask for a taste before the purchase, which, of course, never occurred.

That's a lot of bloviating for a 2 ounce sample which was dark brown, slightly foamy and had aromas of chocolate, heavily toasted grains and a bit of coffee. Tastes were pretty similar with hints of ginger and a moderate heat/burn from the peppers. Not as fiery as the Evil Twin Mini Dingo, but warm enough to say no thanks to a 10 ounce snifter for $4.

Oh my. I'm not sure how I feel about drinking the spicy, much prefer to eat the spicy. Horseradish and hot sauce in my Bloody Mary a notable exception!

Oh my. I'm not sure how I feel about drinking the spicy, much prefer to eat the spicy. Horseradish and hot sauce in my Bloody Mary a notable exception!
    Spicy soups too. A good phở lights me up.

Is there a Seinfeld episode about whether you eat or drink soup because I feel like that's where this is headed!

Agree on the spiciness of pho but after I get done eating the good stuff I slurp the broth, which is a different act than drinking far as I'm concerned.

Is there a Seinfeld episode about whether you eat or drink soup because I feel like that's where this is headed!
    One of the things I like about phở is that you need both a spoon and chopsticks. I feel I get the best of both worlds.

For those looking for new hot sauces to try, the YouTube series "Hot Ones" by First We Feast just announced the sauces to be used in Season 11. The series is press junket interviews of celebrities looking to plug their projects. Instead of the standard interview, however, they are asked questions while progressing through buffalo wings (or tofu or cauliflower) of increasing Scoville heat units.

Ken Jeong's Hot Ones interview featured Duke basketball (not embedding it due to NSFW language)

Don’t be dissuaded by the decor; Pho 919 in Morrisville makes an unbelievably good spicy beef Pho.

Do you buy new seeds each year?
    I grow some stuff from seeds (okra, beans, squash) but also use starter plants which are reasonable priced if you go to a local establishment and avoid the big box stores. In my area, Norfolk County Feed and Seed is the place. A tray of three plants costs around $1.65 compared to $3.50 or higher for one plant at Lowe's, Home Depot or Walmart.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    For those looking for new hot sauces to try, the YouTube series "Hot Ones" by First We Feast just announced the sauces to be used in Season 11. The series is press junket interviews of celebrities looking to plug their projects. Instead of the standard interview, however, they are asked questions while progressing through buffalo wings (or tofu or cauliflower) of increasing Scoville heat units.

Ken Jeong's Hot Ones interview featured Duke basketball (not embedding it due to NSFW language)
    Da Bomb must be awful, they all hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    ...Is this in place of the salsa they typically bring out with chips, or do would i be expecting a bottle of "the good stuff" that I add to the meal...?
    It's typically more of a condiment than a dip. I pretty much always exhaust the little ramekin they bring by dumping it on anything and everything.