Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Spicy Food

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I really like hot food but I am the only one in the family. Love to cook with habanero but then I am the only one that eats it.
    Same thing in my family. That's why hot sauces are a good thing. I can cook the food mild and add some heat.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Same here. My parents are both utterly mystified as to how I got my taste for the hot stuff (and I have no explanation either). Whenever I get wings with either of them, they still insist on getting mild ones, which literally taste like plain chicken to me. I don't get it.
    Since I was in my 20's I've liked hot food and had a tolerance for heat and spice. No mystery in my case, however. I swear my dad could eat stuff that'd make a billy goat cry. I've had friends call me crazy but for me, I can't hold a candle (flamethrower?) to my old man so it took me a while to realize that they were looking at me like I used to look at my pops.

A friend of mine this past year started growing his own peppers and making his own hot sauce. One of his sauces uses ghost peppers and some citrus. It's hot and just fantastic. I really like it since it's different. He's already given me two bottles. Used some on a chicken and potato casserole I made last night. After his first growing season and first attempts at creating sauces, he's hooked. He now has quite a few different peppers that's he's growing (last year it was just ghost and habanero). I'm really looking forward to seeing what he comes up with...he's pretty good about trying lots of different experiments to see what works and what doesn't.

Recently at a soccer tournament that same friend brought some ghost peppers (and his sauces) for people to try. The sauce went great on our pizza then a few of us tried the ghost peppers. That's when things got interesting. I chewed mine up, noticed that it was hot and waited....it just kept getting hotter. It was really hot (which is OK by me, went well with the bourbon we were drinking). For the next 30 minutes to an hour I'd just laugh and mention that it just wouldn't to away. My mouth stayed on fire. Meanwhile, two other soccer dads who tried the ghost peppers quietly disappeared to their rooms for the night. Turns out the peppers just destroyed them. While I was laughing one of was drinking lots of anything to try and dilute it, the other just kinda curled up and went to bed. Of course, I get laughed at for that night because I'm not a bourbon drinker normally and accidentally got smashed and said the kind of stupid stuff smashed people say (or so I'm told). Good times.

Thanks for starting this thread looking forward to leaning a few new things to try.

I really like hot food but I am the only one in the family. Love to cook with habanero but then I am the only one that eats it.
    I feel your pain. Went to NOLA for the first time a couple of years ago and took a cooking class to learn how to make authentic Gumbo and a few other things. They give you the recipes to take home after the class.

Me and Mrs. Lefthook loved it. Came home and cooked for our family of five and the kids couldn't make it through a bowl. They no likey the spicey.

Add it to the list of things I can cook really well, but never get to serve because of a little heat.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I feel your pain. Went to NOLA for the first time a couple of years ago and took a cooking class to learn how to make authentic Gumbo and a few other things. They give you the recipes to take home after the class.

Me and Mrs. Lefthook loved it. Came home and cooked for our family of five and the kids couldn't make it through a bowl. They no likey the spicey.

Add it to the list of things I can cook really well, but never get to serve because of a little heat.
    Tangentially related:
    A couple of years ago, my wife traveled excitedly to New Orleans with a "girls group" of relatives, all of whom vehemently professed to dislike, and even be unable to even abide being near, the following:
    • spicy food
    • loud music
    • boisterous partying
    • rowdy people
    • late nights
    • smoky bars
    My wife returned from the trip asking if I'd take her to New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Tapatio and Miller High Life. Got it!
    Plus enchiladas or soft tacos...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Anyone grow their own peppers?
    Yes, I grow jalapeños and cayenne peppers every spring and summer. They normally keep producing into October in Virginia.
    Bob Green

I'd like to grow my own peppers, but nearly our entire lot is pretty heavily shaded and neither of us has an especially green thumb anyway.
    I do have a fantastic farmers market just a couple of miles from my house with an extensive selection of peppers (and a sign hanging with a Scoville guide!). I love selecting my own mixes and then making up my own chili powders and pastes. I've arrived at signature blends for a couple of my specialty dishes, most notably my chili.

I'd like to grow my own peppers, but nearly our entire lot is pretty heavily shaded and neither of us has an especially green thumb anyway.
    I do have a fantastic farmers market just a couple of miles from my house with an extensive selection of peppers (and a sign hanging with a Scoville guide!). I love selecting my own mixes and then making up my own chili powders and pastes. I've arrived at signature blends for a couple of my specialty dishes, most notably my chili.
    Your DeKalb Farmer’s Market? If so, my favorite store in the world. Seriously.

It is hard to beat a good farmer’s market. However, if you desire to give growing your own a try, pepper plants work really well in a medium sized pot. You can pick the pot up and move it into the sun as required.

I have a couple of in ground garden plots plus a bunch of stuff in pots every year. Peppers, cherry tomatoes, Asian eggplants and cucumbers grew in pots in my backyard last year. I plan to grow a zucchini plant in a large pot this coming garden season.
    Bob Green

Y'all beginning to worry me a bit with your "heat indices." I'm getting very hot, sweaty and thirsty just reading some of these posts.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I consider a hamburger to be a delivery system for sliced jalapeños.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Y'all beginning to worry me a bit with your "heat indices." I'm getting very hot, sweaty and thirsty just reading some of these posts.
    “Hot, sweaty & thirsty”? Is that the new “young, scrappy & hungry”?

And to stay on topic: Ymmm, Thai hot panang curry ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    “Hot, sweaty & thirsty”? Is that the new “young, scrappy & hungry”?

And to stay on topic: Ymmm, Thai hot panang curry ...
    "Just like my country..."

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I love the good old jalapeño.
    My wife baked bread yesterday, so my contribution to dinner was to fry a pack of bacon, then toss fresh sliced jalapeños in corn meal and fry them in the bacon grease, and then make bacon-tomato-jalapeño-cheddar melts.

Your DeKalb Farmer’s Market? If so, my favorite store in the world. Seriously.
    Yep, that’s the one. I love that place too.

Yep, that’s the one. I love that place too.
    When I have business in ATL I throw a cooler in the car in case I get a chance to stop. I like the little cafe too, usually some good-ish world food.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you like vindaloo and are in the Triangle area, look for Kerala Curry’s vindaloo.

It was so spicy no one else in my family could eat it. It was fabulous!
    I did a quick Google search expecting to find a nearby restaurant, but came up...bland. Is this a restaurant? Where do I eat this?

Mateo's salsa is satisfyingly hot.

Also I've learned over the years that every Mexican restaurant, even the most seemingly run-of-the-mill mall parking lot ones, has a "house" hot sauce. I've gotten to where I just always ask for "the good stuff," and it's always good. Tends to be more of a chutney consistency, with good fresh peppers and punch-you-in-the-mouth heat. Love it.
    Very interesting. Is this in place of the salsa they typically bring out with chips, or do would i be expecting a bottle of "the good stuff" that I add to the meal...?

Tangentially related:
    A couple of years ago, my wife traveled excitedly to New Orleans with a "girls group" of relatives, all of whom vehemently professed to dislike, and even be unable to even abide being near, the following:
    • spicy food
    • loud music
    • boisterous partying
    • rowdy people
    • late nights
    • smoky bars

My wife returned from the trip asking if I'd take her to New Orleans.
    LOL!! Like completely the opposite of literally exactly what New Orleans is...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Sounds like my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post

Sounds like my wife.
    Awww DBR matchmaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Sounds like my wife.
    Marriage tip: don’t compare your wife to a hamburger, let alone a delivery system for jalapeños.

I love the good old jalapeño.
    My wife baked bread yesterday, so my contribution to dinner was to fry a pack of bacon, then toss fresh sliced jalapeños in corn meal and fry them in the bacon grease, and then make bacon-tomato-jalapeño-cheddar melts.

Sounds like you've forgotten this:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...Fitness-Thread

MrsPK, though, is one spicy meatball.