Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Spicy Food

I clicked into this thread looking for discussion of McDonald's new Spicy Nugs. Imagine my disappointment.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Yep, I thought this thread was still active to discuss spicy foods.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yep, I thought this thread was still active to discuss spicy foods.
    Wilson's making chili with some fresh Hatch peppers. Not sure when he wants us all to come over though.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wilson's making chili with some fresh Hatch peppers. Not sure when he wants us all to come over though.
    Hah, by sometime next week, my wife would probably be happy to have somebody, since I make it about 3-3.5 gallons at a time.

Yea, you folks are outta my league by at least 50K SHU. Some of those peppers are well over 100K SHU beyond my palate/GI comfort/survival threshold. However, I'm proud () to remind y'all that I survived a 2 ounce sample of an imperial stout (IIRC) from Bond Brothers Beer Company that was brewed with C*rolina Reapers a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Hah, by sometime next week, my wife would probably be happy to have somebody, since I make it about 3-3.5 gallons at a time.
    Can you send chili in the mail? Like maybe just spoon some in an envelope or something? I'm pretty sure that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, you folks are outta my league by at least 50K SHU. Some of those peppers are well over 100K SHU beyond my palate/GI comfort/survival threshold. However, I'm proud () to remind y'all that I survived a 2 ounce sample of an imperial stout (IIRC) from Bond Brothers Beer Company that was brewed with C*rolina Reapers a couple years ago.
    Nah, the Hatch peppers aren't really that crazy. The batch I ordered is Sandia chilis, the second-hottest variety. Average of like 7-8000 Scoville units, roughly analogous to a jalapeno.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Can you send chili in the mail? Like maybe just spoon some in an envelope or something? I'm pretty sure that would work.
    I ship my mashed potatoes out every Christmas/Hanukkah. No reason why chili wouldn't work.

Flatiron Pepper, to borrow a phrase from rj199, is legit.

Tried the Sweet Heat, Four Pepper, and Hatch Green on pizza.

Hatch Green good flavour, mild heat.

Sweet Heat was ok- tasted less hot than the Hatch.

Four Pepper is a good combination of flavour and heat.

Gives me pause on ordering the 350k-750k pepper blends.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Flatiron Pepper, to borrow a phrase from rj199, is legit.

Tried the Sweet Heat, Four Pepper, and Hatch Green on pizza.

Hatch Green good flavour, mild heat.

Sweet Heat was ok- tasted less hot than the Hatch.

Four Pepper is a good combination of flavour and heat.

Gives me pause on ordering the 350k-750k pepper blends.
    Great to hear, thanks!

Just cracked a bag of Bakke Brothers Ghost Pepper Beef Jerky. Really tasty but so hot. So hot.

Apparently they also make a Carolina Reaper version. I can't imagine what that must be like and yet am a little tempted...

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Just cracked a bag of Bakke Brothers Ghost Pepper Beef Jerky. Really tasty but so hot. So hot.

Apparently they also make a Carolina Reaper version. I can't imagine what that must be like and yet am a little tempted...
    Stay clear of the Reaper...Trust me..Avoid at all costs..But love that Little Red Rooster. ( Sciracha sauce).

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Stay clear of the Reaper...Trust me..Avoid at all costs..But love that Little Red Rooster. ( Sciracha sauce).
    Thanks for the advice! Will have to buy another bag of gp and maybe something a little milder. Addictive stuff.

Roasting some carrots, habaneros, garlic and onions right now for a homemade habanero garlic hot sauce...which is going to be mixed with some butter for a habanero garlic wing sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Roasting some carrots, habaneros, garlic and onions right now for a homemade habanero garlic hot sauce...which is going to be mixed with some butter for a habanero garlic wing sauce.
    Good deal, be there in an hour.

BTW, Tabasco's Scorpion sauce is very good. Fairly hot, but a little sweet, too. Not sure what I will use it on, yet, but I will find something.

Good deal, be there in an hour.
    Here's the base habanero garlic hot sauce. Flecks of black are from the pre-roast. Turned out pretty good. I'm forever tinkering with the vinegar types and ratios when I make these. This one was apple cider so in addition to being spicy it has a little bit of fruity tang. Put 8 cloves of garlic in it but wasn't enough for me. It's never enough garlic though. It's pretty much the one cooking rule I always abide by: if a recipe calls for garlic, double (or triple) it.

Half is going into a pot w/ butter and a few other things shortly, rest will be in the fridge at call.

Hab.jpg

Not sure how easy it is to spend $100 on hot pepper flakes.

If you were looking for a discount to try Flatiron Pepper Flakes, here ya go:

Input code "BF2020" for 15% off all gift sets AND all orders over $100 will receive a FREE bottle of "I Can't Feel My Face".

Input code "BF2020" for 15% off all gift sets AND all orders over $100 will receive a FREE bottle of "I Can't Feel My Face".
    I'm not sure what to do with this information.

Not enticing at all .