Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Spicy Food

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I had a dish of General Tso's chicken the other day, and I specifically asked for it to be spicy. It was...not. It was very flavorful, but not even thinking about being hot enough. Disappointing.
    still have nightmares about Han's. But I kept going back for the General, and kept regretting it afterward

Anybody had success making homemade chile-based enchilada sauces? Thinking about taking a pass today with some dried TBD chiles...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Anybody had success making homemade chile-based enchilada sauces? Thinking about taking a pass today with some dried TBD chiles...
    I've done a good bit of this kind of thing. I would recommend pulsing your chiles in a food processor with a bit of cornmeal...this helps them bind and break down into a good, thick paste. Then, simmer with some chicken or vegetable stock/broth (I wouldn't recommend beef) and cook it down until your sauce reaches your desired consistency and spoon over your enchiladas.
    Alternatively, you can mix your chili paste with fresh herbs (I love me some cilantro, but oregano is a good addition to Latin cooking as well) and a bit of lime juice to give it a brighter, more floral finish.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I've done a good bit of this kind of thing. I would recommend pulsing your chiles in a food processor with a bit of cornmeal...this helps them bind and break down into a good, thick paste. Then, simmer with some chicken or vegetable stock/broth (I wouldn't recommend beef) and cook it down until your sauce reaches your desired consistency and spoon over your enchiladas.
    Alternatively, you can mix your chili paste with fresh herbs (I love me some cilantro, but oregano is a good addition to Latin cooking as well) and a bit of lime juice to give it a brighter, more floral finish.
    You must spread comments and such. Thank you, great stuff!

You must spread comments and such. Thank you, great stuff!
    My pleasure!
    One more note: you'll need a bit of liquid in your food processor to get things all pasty if you're using all dried chilis. A splash of broth there should do the trick.

Hot Ones the interview series is becoming hot ones the TV game show. The ads feature many people in much pain.

Hot Ones the interview series is becoming hot ones the TV game show. The ads feature many people in much pain.
    One the one hand, I would like to try Da Bomb. On the other hand, it appears to be notoriously bad.

4.5 stars on Amazon, which tells you something about Amazon ratings I guess.

B9DC09EE-3F25-459A-BD69-5392FAC47AD8.jpg

Broke down and got two bottles from Heatonist.com.

First is Los Callientes (rojo) from First We Feast. #5 on Hot Ones for several seasons now.

Next is Hot Thai Green from Seed Ranch, #6 this season. Not to be confused with Seed Ranch’s normal Thai Green which I find pretty mild but tasty.

I’m excited, will report back after tasting.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    B9DC09EE-3F25-459A-BD69-5392FAC47AD8.jpg

Broke down and got two bottles from Heatonist.com.

First is Los Callientes (rojo) from First We Feast. #5 on Hot Ones for several seasons now.

Next is Hot Thai Green from Seed Ranch, #6 this season. Not to be confused with Seed Ranch’s normal Thai Green which I find pretty mild but tasty.

I’m excited, will report back after tasting.
    Any concerns about Cauronavirus with the important from the far east? 😎

0A5DF9BD-3A02-4ECB-A870-83BA7522B912.jpg

New delivery:

Seed Ranch Hot Thai Chili (Hot Ones #6 this season) — green Carolina reaper, Serrano, lemongrass and spices.
    Heatonist’s Los Calientes (Hot Ones #5) — Serrano, habanero, fruit and tomatillos.
    Dirty Dick’s Hot Pepper Tropical — habanero and tropical fruits.
    Hell Fire Detroit — between 100,000 and 300,000 scoville — Fire-roasted habanero and vinegar.
    Heatonist’s The Last Dab (Hot One’s top of spice mountain for years) — supposedly over 2 million scoville.

Excited. And scared. Loved the first two before, never had the other three yet.

Good luck with the last dab. Sounds a bit too hot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Good luck with the last dab. Sounds a bit too hot for me.
    I will freely admit to being scared. Not sure what I was thinking.

Ok, had to try The Last Dab.

A drop or two on a bite of food was tasty and had a really nice burn. Borderline painful but not really.

More than that would kill me. Cannot imagine a chicken wing slathered in it.

Definitely has a place in my pantry. But will be judicious in use.

Thumbs up emoji here

Not gonna lie — The Last Dab XXX is lighting me up like a Christmas tree right now.

Came here to post about some spicy food I ate at a bar last night in the Tennessee smokey mountains. I soon realized after reading some of the posts here, I'm a noob and have swam out to deep when in regards to spicy food. Yeesh, you guys are mad men.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Came here to post about some spicy food I ate at a bar last night in the Tennessee smokey mountains. I soon realized after reading some of the posts here, I'm a noob and have swam out to deep when in regards to spicy food. Yeesh, you guys are mad men.
    Tell us more about this “bar” of which you speak 🤣

Good spicy food stories (scoville values aside) are always relative to the teller’s experience.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    That’s how you get hooked . . . .

What did you have? And, more importantly, would you order it again?

That’s how you get hooked . . . .

What did you have? And, more importantly, would you order it again?
    Spicy gator bites, and fiery shrimp at harpoon harry's.

And yes I'd order again

I'm not a spicy food eater, I thought I was doing something. Even ordered a spicy bloody Mary to go with it.

Not gonna lie — The Last Dab XXX is lighting me up like a Christmas tree right now.
    Dropped a meme over in the 'laughter is the best medicine' thread that may describe what you are currently feeling.