Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Spicy Food

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ymm, Spicy Food

Came up in the LTE and it seems we have some aficionados.

We open with hot sauce. For me, classic Tabasco is a common everyday application on a wide range of foods, but I typically keep 6-8 kinds of hot sauce on hand...Valentina for Latin dishes, Sriracha for Asian stuff, Texas Pete for Southern/soul food, Louisiana and/or Crystal for this and that, and then I usually keep a couple of one-offs that I pick up while traveling and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Came up in the LTE and it seems we have some aficionados.

We open with hot sauce. For me, classic Tabasco is a common everyday application on a wide range of foods, but I typically keep 6-8 kinds of hot sauce on hand...Valentina for Latin dishes, Sriracha for Asian stuff, Texas Pete for Southern/soul food, Louisiana and/or Crystal for this and that, and then I usually keep a couple of one-offs that I pick up while traveling and whatnot.
    Ymmmm, vindaloo!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Ymmmm, vindaloo!
    If you like vindaloo and are in the Triangle area, look for Kerala Curry’s vindaloo.

It was so spicy no one else in my family could eat it. It was fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you like vindaloo and are in the Triangle area, look for Kerala Curry’s vindaloo.

Is that Dell’s sister?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

If vindaloo doesn’t still have your nose running three days later, it’s not hot enough.

I'm about to go to bed, but this is the thread I've been waiting for.

No time to cover it now, but I'll be back to discuss, at a minimum:

-Tabasco
    -Chalulah
    -Texas Pete

-The entire Dave's Insanity lineup

-Mad Dog 357
    -Blair's Mega Death

-my disdain for Sriracha

-my opinions about various peppers, including fresh Carolina Reapers from the Duke greenhouse

-and participation in various legal-waiver-required hot-wings challenges at restaurants known to Duke alumni, including-but-not-limited-to Chai's (formerly (?) of Erwin Road) and Overtime (discontinued, but in North Myrtle Beach).

I am out of Thai pepper paste, so I tried Tabasco in my phở this morning. Gave some zip but not the taste profile I was looking to achieve.

If I have to go with one of the off-the-shelf hot sauces at my local grocery store, I usually go with El Yucateco or Melindas. But I've been thinking about Marie Sharpe's enough that I might have to order some again!

Anyone grow their own peppers? I have some Big Jim New Mexico Green Chili seeds that have produced sad, anemic peppers in my humid climate. My habanero and jalapeno plants have gone gangbusters the last few years though. My habanero plants are currently inside still producing mid-winter!

While I'm on it, few things anger me more (okay, that's a lie) than a salsa labelled 'hot' that is NOT hot. To remedy that, I can recommend Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa, which is genuinely hot!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    While I'm on it, few things anger me more (okay, that's a lie) than a salsa labelled 'hot' that is NOT hot. To remedy that, I can recommend Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa, which is genuinely hot!
    Mateo's salsa is satisfyingly hot.

Also I've learned over the years that every Mexican restaurant, even the most seemingly run-of-the-mill mall parking lot ones, has a "house" hot sauce. I've gotten to where I just always ask for "the good stuff," and it's always good. Tends to be more of a chutney consistency, with good fresh peppers and punch-you-in-the-mouth heat. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Anyone grow their own peppers?
    Yes, I grow jalapeños and cayenne peppers every spring and summer. They normally keep producing into October in Virginia.
    Bob Green

I'd like to grow my own peppers, but nearly our entire lot is pretty heavily shaded and neither of us has an especially green thumb anyway.
    I do have a fantastic farmers market just a couple of miles from my house with an extensive selection of peppers (and a sign hanging with a Scoville guide!). I love selecting my own mixes and then making up my own chili powders and pastes. I've arrived at signature blends for a couple of my specialty dishes, most notably my chili.

I'd like to grow my own peppers, but nearly our entire lot is pretty heavily shaded and neither of us has an especially green thumb anyway.
    I do have a fantastic farmers market just a couple of miles from my house with an extensive selection of peppers (and a sign hanging with a Scoville guide!). I love selecting my own mixes and then making up my own chili powders and pastes. I've arrived at signature blends for a couple of my specialty dishes, most notably my chili.
    Your DeKalb Farmer’s Market? If so, my favorite store in the world. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yep, that’s the one. I love that place too.

When I have business in ATL I throw a cooler in the car in case I get a chance to stop. I like the little cafe too, usually some good-ish world food.

When I have business in ATL I throw a cooler in the car in case I get a chance to stop. I like the little cafe too, usually some good-ish world food.
    This was a regular stop for the 3 years we lived in Atlanta. Mostly on the weekends when it was absolutely jam packed. If I was trying my hand at something that required good seafood, cheeses, bread or somewhat hard to find ingredients, this was the place. Not a bad wine and beer selection either.

I love YDFM. During my grad school days at Emory in the early 2000s it was my go-to grocery store as much as possible. Learned a lot about cooking Indian and Thai food from the ingredients that were readily available there.

Glad to hear that it still going strong.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

It is hard to beat a good farmer’s market. However, if you desire to give growing your own a try, pepper plants work really well in a medium sized pot. You can pick the pot up and move it into the sun as required.

I have a couple of in ground garden plots plus a bunch of stuff in pots every year. Peppers, cherry tomatoes, Asian eggplants and cucumbers grew in pots in my backyard last year. I plan to grow a zucchini plant in a large pot this coming garden season.
    Bob Green

Y'all beginning to worry me a bit with your "heat indices." I'm getting very hot, sweaty and thirsty just reading some of these posts.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Y'all beginning to worry me a bit with your "heat indices." I'm getting very hot, sweaty and thirsty just reading some of these posts.
    “Hot, sweaty & thirsty”? Is that the new “young, scrappy & hungry”?

And to stay on topic: Ymmm, Thai hot panang curry ....