Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
I really like hot food but I am the only one in the family. Love to cook with habanero but then I am the only one that eats it.
Same thing in my family. That's why hot sauces are a good thing. I can cook the food mild and add some heat.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
Same here. My parents are both utterly mystified as to how I got my taste for the hot stuff (and I have no explanation either). Whenever I get wings with either of them, they still insist on getting mild ones, which literally taste like plain chicken to me. I don't get it.
Since I was in my 20's I've liked hot food and had a tolerance for heat and spice. No mystery in my case, however. I swear my dad could eat stuff that'd make a billy goat cry. I've had friends call me crazy but for me, I can't hold a candle (flamethrower?) to my old man so it took me a while to realize that they were looking at me like I used to look at my pops.

A friend of mine this past year started growing his own peppers and making his own hot sauce. One of his sauces uses ghost peppers and some citrus. It's hot and just fantastic. I really like it since it's different. He's already given me two bottles. Used some on a chicken and potato casserole I made last night. After his first growing season and first attempts at creating sauces, he's hooked. He now has quite a few different peppers that's he's growing (last year it was just ghost and habanero). I'm really looking forward to seeing what he comes up with...he's pretty good about trying lots of different experiments to see what works and what doesn't.

Recently at a soccer tournament that same friend brought some ghost peppers (and his sauces) for people to try. The sauce went great on our pizza then a few of us tried the ghost peppers. That's when things got interesting. I chewed mine up, noticed that it was hot and waited....it just kept getting hotter. It was really hot (which is OK by me, went well with the bourbon we were drinking). For the next 30 minutes to an hour I'd just laugh and mention that it just wouldn't to away. My mouth stayed on fire. Meanwhile, two other soccer dads who tried the ghost peppers quietly disappeared to their rooms for the night. Turns out the peppers just destroyed them. While I was laughing one of was drinking lots of anything to try and dilute it, the other just kinda curled up and went to bed. Of course, I get laughed at for that night because I'm not a bourbon drinker normally and accidentally got smashed and said the kind of stupid stuff smashed people say (or so I'm told). Good times.

Thanks for starting this thread looking forward to leaning a few new things to try.