MLB 2020 HOF Election

Just a few hours to the announcement of the 2020 class. Jeter is in, Larry Walker, in his final year, will be right on the edge. I think out, but it'll be close, he has a shot. Schilling, Bonds and Clemens will all remain short.

With 51.5% of ballots known:
    Jeter - 100%
    Walker - 83.5%
    Schilling - 78.8%
    Bonds - 71.7%
    Clemens - 70.8%
    No one else above 50%

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/statu...22577640964096
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Just a few hours to the announcement of the 2020 class. Jeter is in, Larry Walker, in his final year, will be right on the edge. I think out, but it'll be close, he has a shot. Schilling, Bonds and Clemens will all remain short.

Jeter - 100%
    Walker - 83.5%
    Schilling - 78.8%
    Bonds - 71.7%
    Clemens - 70.8%
    No one else above 50%

Who really cares about MLB any more? The cheating renders it irrelevant. Much like unc athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

Jeter - 100%
    Walker - 83.5%
    Schilling - 78.8%
    Bonds - 71.7%
    Clemens - 70.8%
    No one else above 50%

It is worth noting that the folks who do not make their ballots public are traditionalists who tend to vote for fewer players and have been pretty hard on the PED crowd, so Schilling, Bonds, and Clemens are likely to fall a bit when those vote totals are known. After Mo became the first to 100%, I suspect Jeter will be the second. I guess it is possible one or two stick in the muds will keep him from getting there but he is going to post an absolutely historic vote total regardless.

I think Walker will just barely creep across the line by a few votes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Maybe Schilling, Bonds and Clemens get a little "enhancement" from an unidentified source...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is worth noting that the folks who do not make their ballots public are traditionalists who tend to vote for fewer players and have been pretty hard on the PED crowd, so Schilling, Bonds, and Clemens are likely to fall a bit when those vote totals are known. After Mo became the first to 100%, I suspect Jeter will be the second. I guess it is possible one or two stick in the muds will keep him from getting there but he is going to post an absolutely historic vote total regardless.

I think Walker will just barely creep across the line by a few votes.
    I was almost right... Jeter got all but 1 vote. Walker made it in by 6 votes. Congrats to both... deserving dudes for sure!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I was almost right... Jeter got all but 1 vote. Walker made it in by 6 votes. Congrats to both... deserving dudes for sure!
    I can't keep track - does the one person who didn't vote for Jeter get revealed?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I can't keep track - does the one person who didn't vote for Jeter get revealed?
    only if that voter chooses to make the ballot public.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Who really cares about MLB any more? The cheating renders it irrelevant. Much like unc athletics.
    Or football during the Patriots era.

Brett Anderson wins the internet.

I hope Jeter sends a gift basket to the 1 that didn’t vote for him.

https://twitter.com/_banderson30_/st...437021185?s=21

Well isn't that special, one horse's patoot thinks he's/she's exceptionally insightful...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yeah, not sorry somebody didn't vote for Jeter. Granted it's stupid that there are some holdouts with the whole "nobody deserves 1st ballot unanimous" old school nonsense, but, since that did exist for so long, Jeter isn't a good as whole bunch of other players who weren't unanimous either. I hope those old school voters keep holding out till all the '90s/'00 Yankees that are going to get in are in.

If he only hadn't faked getting hit by that pitch in 2010, maybe it would have been unanimous!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    How many writers vote in total? Couldn't they just talk to each other and get a pretty good idea who the one guy was that didn't vote? Assuming no one would lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    How many writers vote in total? Couldn't they just talk to each other and get a pretty good idea who the one guy was that didn't vote? Assuming no one would lie about it.
    I think there are 397 voters as Jeter got 396 votes. An increasing number of voters reveal their ballots, but that still leaves a lot who don't.

Looks like next year's class of newly eligible candidates is really weak, so it will be interesting to see if that has an impact on Clemens/Bonds/Schilling. I assume that an old-timer will get in, but out of curiosity, I was looking to see if there had been a year with no inductees - looks like the last one was 1960. I don't know if they would just cancel Hall of Fame weekend or do something else - I'm sure the hotels and businesses in Cooperstown would not be happy if that happened. Though I tend to think that the old-timers committee has generally outlived its useful live - maybe check in every five years or so to make sure there were no egregious errors but otherwise they are basically undoing the work of prior voters.