Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana

    MBB: Duke vs Miami (Tu 1/21, 9:00 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Should we not turn our attention to the next contest?
    Sure, why not. It's just over 24 hours from now.

    Miami is Duke's first rematch of the season. The good news is that Duke is now familiar with this Miami team from the first game on January 4, which went quite well: a 95-62 win, with 11 Blue Devils scoring points. The bad news is that the Hurricanes are familiar with us as well, and have seen and experienced a more complete version of this Duke team.

    Duke and Miami have faced each other 28 times before, with Duke leading the series 21-7 (10-2 in Cameron). Duke is now ranked 8th in the AP poll, extending their Top 10 streak to 36 consecutive polls. Whether that continues is entirely up to this game, which is Duke's only one this week.

    I would ask more knowledgeable posters to provide the pregame analysis, so for now, I'll quote what DavidBenAkiva wrote about the Miami players in the previous game thread:

    Jim Larranaga's Miami team has a potent offense fueled by the diminutive Chris Lykes (5'7"). The JR PG is quick as can be and fearless attacking the rim or pulling up from all over the court. He is flanked by excellent shooting guards in SR Dejan Vasilijevic (6'3") and JR Kameron McGusty (6'5"). All three are willing and accurate shooters with Vasilijevic making 46.7% of his 3-point attempts. Miami runs a lot of iso ball. They are near the bottom in assist rate, forcing teams to match up with one of their three guards. Behind the upperclassmen, a pair of freshmen guards, Harold Beverly (6'4") and Isaiah Wong (6'3") will provide spot minutes.

    Up front, Miami boasts a big but not overly impressive group of post players. The lead F/C is 6'10" JR Sam Waardenburg, who hails from New Zealand. Waardenburg will take a couple of 3-point attempts and hits them at a decent rate. He is 7-20 from 2 on the season (35.0%). He's more likely to attempt a layup or putback, though. Miami also trots out 7'0" SR Rodney Miller, Jr. and rugged 6'8" SR Keith Stone, a transfer from Florida. Freshman SF Anthony Walker (6'9" 210 lbs.) will also see some time on the floor in the 9-man rotation. The freshmen, Beverly, Walker, and Wong, have all been a net negative when they have been on the court so far this year but give some breathing time to the upperclassmen.

    Miami has been able to score the ball at a high level on the season. They do not take a ton of 3-point attempts, but they do make them at a high rate, making 38.9% as a team on the year (11th best in the nation). As a primarily jump-shooting team, they do not foul often or get to the line. And they are not a good rebounding team. In general, Miami is a below-average defensive team. They do not foul the opposing team at all but give up a ton of offensive rebounds. And there is little shot-blocking in spite of their size up front.
    I would add only one thing: the tilde to Jim LarraŮaga's name.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WA State
    I doubt we'll shoot 50 percent from the field again, but I'm okay with being wrong.

    Questions:
    1. Does Miami emulate the 5-out offense that others have used to expose our tendency to over-play? They're not well suited for it, but might gamble.
    2. How much will we miss the defensive presence of Moore?
    3. Does Lykes break away from the Goldwire/Jones defense pressure to be effective this game?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I doubt we'll shoot 50 percent from the field again, but I'm okay with being wrong.

    Questions:
    1. Does Miami emulate the 5-out offense that others have used to expose our tendency to over-play? They're not well suited for it, but might gamble.
    2. How much will we miss the defensive presence of Moore?
    3. Does Lykes break away from the Goldwire/Jones defense pressure to be effective this game?
    UM took FSU to OT last game. that's one of the best games they have had. Need to win this one -I would be shocked if it was as easy this time as last... despite this one being at home. in Miami, Duke was 6-14 from three while Miami shot the three 2-12. One thing that is positive is Duke killed em on the glass, 41 to 24. I hope we ouitrebound them again though I was surprised to see they rebounded equal with Pitt and Clemson. Odd. They even out rebounded a tough FSU team.
    Last edited by gofurman; 01-20-2020 at 09:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WA State
    Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    UM took FSU to OT last game. that's one of the best games they have had. Need to win this one
    I'd be okay with deja vu all over again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clifton, VA
    I watched Miami crumble down the stretch versus FSU. They relied heavily on Lykes and McGusty to go one on one from what I saw. I donít see that formula working against Duke. Hopefully, the stick with it tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Oh good, a 9:00 game. We get to miss the beginning because people are fouling and refs are endlessly checking the monitors in the prior game, then we can stay up until after 11 to see the end of our game.

    At least itís on a network I get, so thereís that.

    {I can see this is going to be a max grump day}
    ďI do not think that word means what you think it means.Ē

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    After the two straight losses, frankly I don't know what to expect. Well, I do expect the Hurricanes to try and drive the ball on us. With some high pnr to draw Vernon away from the basket. If that be the case, I hope the coaching staff has some adjustment up their sleeves. Big Vern had 24 points in 25 minutes on 11-14 and 9 rebounds against them in Miami. I don't want to see our big man sitting over next to Alex for a good part of the game.

    GoDuke!

  8. #8
    The good news is that the game is on ESPN not ACCN so I can watch live. The bad news is that all 3 Duke losses have been on ESPN.

  9. #9
    Duke is -17.5 tonight over Miami.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Farmingdale, New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    I watched Miami crumble down the stretch versus FSU. They relied heavily on Lykes and McGusty to go one on one from what I saw. I donít see that formula working against Duke. Hopefully, the stick with it tomorrow.
    The question is does Miami have a mobile 4 who can go around Hurt or over Jack? That has been the problem the last two games on defense. I donít remember Miamiís 5Ďs being very strong, so Vernon and Javin should be able to handle that on offense, but who will step up against the double teams on Carey?

  11. #11
    I would think that we will be very fired up tonight after two straight losses.I would also assume we will not let the 'canes jump out to a double digit lead on us either. This is only January, but this game is a game we absolutely have to win tonight.So I guess we will be able to know quite a bit about how much our boys want it tonight. I'm going to believe we will take care of business. Go Duke!!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    The question is does Miami have a mobile 4 who can go around Hurt or over Jack? That has been the problem the last two games on defense. I donít remember Miamiís 5Ďs being very strong, so Vernon and Javin should be able to handle that on offense, but who will step up against the double teams on Carey?
    Clearly Duke has been a different team of late and it was more than just the competition level that caused it. Moore being out, AOC and Delaurier way off their games. I don't know what to expect this time around. A win of any sort would be all I will hope for.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The good news is that the game is on ESPN not ACCN so I can watch live. The bad news is that all 3 Duke losses have been on ESPN.
    Iím pretty sure SFU was on ACC network (it wasnít on ESPN on my TV anyway).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    I would think that we will be very fired up tonight after two straight losses.I would also assume we will not let the 'canes jump out to a double digit lead on us either. This is only January, but this game is a game we absolutely have to win tonight.So I guess we will be able to know quite a bit about how much our boys want it tonight. I'm going to believe we will take care of business. Go Duke!!
    I wonder if starting carey from the bench is not a bad move. Not because of his poor play, but because he only goes 25 minutes anyway. Run Jack or javin out there to be extremely physical to set the aggressive tone.

    I'm sure i'll get the "you're insane trying to bench our best player." But I counter that it's insane thinking that the 5 people who play the tip are necessarily the best 5 or the 5 who should play the most minutes every game. As baseball has largely realized, you don't need to throw your best pitcher at the end of the game, you throw him when he has the most ability to impact the outcome in your favor. There is no reason the same shouldn't be true of the 5 on the court at the start of a basketball game.

    Either way, I'm not suggesting this is something I'd necessarily do, but might be something to think about given our penchant for slow starts.
    1200. DDMF.

  15. #15
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    I will always remember in the 2009-2010 season the home game after our road loss to Wisconsin. K came out before the game and ran to the Crazies, gave us the get-loud gesture, and got us pumped. He said after the game that winning, even against an average St. Johnís team, was super important at that point for the teamís mindset.

    This game reminds me of that one. Even against a team we know we can beat, Iíll be looking for intensity from both the Crazies and the team. This is how we get back on track.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I will always remember in the 2009-2010 season the home game after our road loss to Wisconsin. K came out before the game and ran to the Crazies, gave us the get-loud gesture, and got us pumped. He said after the game that winning, even against an average St. Johnís team, was super important at that point for the teamís mindset.

    This game reminds me of that one. Even against a team we know we can beat, Iíll be looking for intensity from both the Crazies and the team. This is how we get back on track.
    for better or worse, there won't be as much energy from the crazies tonight as there was on saturday. It's a late weeknight game against a mediocre team against whom we don't have particular history but for a few memorable games here and there. We're coming off a double losses, so people will be mildly disillusioned that this is a must-see team, like last years team was. Lastly, tenting isn't in full swing yet (it will pick up next week, and even more a week into february).

    Anyway, I'm sure people will be loud, but it won't be like it was saturday. Part of me was sad that we never took the lead since the place would have blown the roof off.
    1200. DDMF.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Augustine, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    After the two straight losses, frankly I don't know what to expect. Well, I do expect the Hurricanes to try and drive the ball on us. With some high pnr to draw Vernon away from the basket. If that be the case, I hope the coaching staff has some adjustment up their sleeves. Big Vern had 24 points in 25 minutes on 11-14 and 9 rebounds against them in Miami. I don't want to see our big man sitting over next to Alex for a good part of the game.

    GoDuke!
    Agree we donít want Carey sitting for extended periods. As for Alex, letís hope he earns playing time. That is a better scenario than gluing him to the pine.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    I would think that we will be very fired up tonight after two straight losses.I would also assume we will not let the 'canes jump out to a double digit lead on us either.
    True, but I would have thought the same after ONE loss, and coming home to play in front of GameDay. So who knows.

    If memory serves, in the first game Miami held even with us for the first 10-12 minutes before we started to pull away. If that happens again, they will start playing with more and more confidence. A good start is important so weíre not swimming upstream the whole game.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Duke is selling GA tickets for tonight to the public if anyone is interested.

    I expect this to be closer than the last time. We won with depth and handled the ball better once we settled down.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Duke is selling GA tickets for tonight to the public if anyone is interested.
    i expect there will be GA tickets for the remaining games but UNC. Duke has been more aggressively selling them as they have more data on how many spots are likely to be available. there were 100 GAs for the game this past saturday, even.
    1200. DDMF.

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Duke v Miami (Sat, 1/4, 8:00 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 01-04-2020, 10:06 PM
  2. Replies: 116
    Last Post: 03-02-2019, 06:04 PM
  3. Replies: 162
    Last Post: 01-15-2018, 08:54 PM
  4. Replies: 157
    Last Post: 01-21-2017, 10:13 PM
  5. Replies: 153
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •