David Olney, RIP

Not a household name but an extraordinarily gifted singer-songwriter. Died on stage.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...nce/ar-BBZ7hCv

this is a crushing blow....master songwriter and arguably a founding father of the "americana" music genre. Close friend, i recorded live shows for him back in the late 70's and early 80's...I hope those are released to the public.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "Olney was in the middle of his third song when he stopped, apologized, and shut his eyes," Rigby wrote on Facebook. "He was very still, sitting upright with his guitar on, wearing the coolest hat and a beautiful rust suede jacket we laughed about because it was raining like hell outside the boathouse where we were playing — I just want the picture to be as graceful and dignified as it was, because it at first looked like he was just taking a moment."
    Wow...what a way to go out. He literally said "I'm sorry". Not a familiar name to me, but I'll check out some of his music.
    Sorry for your loss, too, Moonpie.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

moonpie, I wasn't sure anyone else on the board had even heard of him and I find out someone had worked with him.

Interested in your recommendations. I would point novices to his late 1980s album Deeper Well.

A unique talent. This is a man who wrote a devastating song about a French prostitute in World War I (1917), a song cycle about Dizzy Dean, a song about Barrabas and many, many more. The first time I heard his song "Jerusalem Tomorrow" (album Deeper Well or Lenora), I sat in stunned disbelief.

As an aside, he briefly attended UNC.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 01-19-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Deeper well

Emmylou Harris recorded Deeper Well, several times! I have three versions by her.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Emmylou Harris recorded Deeper Well, several times! I have three versions by her.
    Me too.

Makes me want to hear Olney. Sad news.