Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iceland

You guys are great, thank you.

Leaving in a week, all the suggestions have been noted and scanned.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I’ll contribute some random travel trivia I recently learned. Iceland uses more green energy per capita than any other country. Apparently the whole country converted from coal-fired to geothermal heat a while back. As I recall, hydro- electric is another key component. I would have guessed a desert country abounding in solar farms would hold that distinction but Iceland is quite the opposite.

Thanks on the above advice

Great trip! As others described, a weird and eerie landscape and weather that can change on a dime. Did all the stuff within easy reach of Reykjavik. Even at this gray time of year, the venues were pretty busy. Brits everywhere!

Black sand beaches and tremendous waves. Had a good chuckle when a guy wearing a kentucky hat tripped in the cold, cold waves and got his pants alllll wet. But, then again, I'm not a sweetheart and he had busted me a bit for my Duke hat. It never ends, does it?!

The food in Iceland is terrific! You really can't go wrong anywhere. The chefs must train in London and France. Mostly fish but some excellent lamb dishes, too. Might be expensive for some budgets but you certainly get your very fair share. We didn't have any wine, since it's all brought in at a premium from Europe, but the beers were excellent.

If you go, pack rain slickers of the appropriate weight. That's the one thing we didn't have, only good warm coats. Umbrellas are pretty much worthless with the wind that can be flabbergasting.

Everybody above, again, thank you for your positive advice!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Great trip! As others described, a weird and eerie landscape and weather that can change on a dime. Did all the stuff within easy reach of Reykjavik. Even at this gray time of year, the venues were pretty busy. Brits everywhere!

Black sand beaches and tremendous waves. Had a good chuckle when a guy wearing a kentucky hat tripped in the cold, cold waves and got his pants alllll wet. But, then again, I'm not a sweetheart and he had busted me a bit for my Duke hat. It never ends, does it?!

The food in Iceland is terrific! You really can't go wrong anywhere. The chefs must train in London and France. Mostly fish but some excellent lamb dishes, too. Might be expensive for some budgets but you certainly get your very fair share. We didn't have any wine, since it's all brought in at a premium from Europe, but the beers were excellent.

If you go, pack rain slickers of the appropriate weight. That's the one thing we didn't have, only good warm coats. Umbrellas are pretty much worthless with the wind that can be flabbergasting.

Northern lights?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Northern lights?
    Sure:

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Iceland is definitely less icy and significantly greener than Greenland. Don't know much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

Weezie
    Glad you had fun. Next time grab a set of Frog Toggs rain gear before you go. Light weight, breathable, and easy to store.