Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceland

Iceland

Anybody have any tips for a trip to Iceland? Going for just under a week, already have the Northern Lights and geyser spring trips lined up.

Suggestions on restaurants, museums, any other not to be missed sites will be welcomed!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Spent 3 weeks there at Keflavik at the Naval base (NASKEF) while in the Marines. It was very cold but beautiful. Nice beers at the base bars..lol Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Anybody have any tips for a trip to Iceland? Going for just under a week, already have the Northern Lights and geyser spring trips lined up.

Suggestions on restaurants, museums, any other not to be missed sites will be welcomed!
    Jealous, I want to do this trip. Post pictures, please!

I have colleagues there. Will ask- I haven’t been yet myself, looking forward to a future opportunity.

Be very aware of beach warnings.
    There’s at least one beach that is known for fatalities due to unpredictable waves and weather (Reynisfjara?).

I’m excited for you, should be an awesome trip.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

I was there this summer on a grandparent-granchild tour via Road Scholar. You have to recognize that Iceland is one big piece of rock the size of the state of Pennsylvania (actually, two because of plate tectonics). There are very few trees and the ones there (mostly birches) are pretty shrubby -- and no, it's not because large primeval forests were cut down -- it's just a different part of the world at 66 degrees north latitude. Lots of views in every direction and lots and lots of rocks.

The museums are all in Reykjavik and Ms. Grouse (who skipped whale watching) thought they were quite interesting. We ate at a spectacular seafood buffet in the middle of Reykjavik, but the name isn't in my tour summary. The food, generally, was quite good.

The combo seabird viewing/sushi cruise was amazing -- but I was there in early August -- and it was quite a ways from Reykjavik.

There are spectacular waterfalls (Gullfoss and Hraunfossar [lava falls]). The geyser is worth seeing ("geysir" in Icelandic and pronounced "geezer"). This geyser is the only one in Iceland and is one of the first ever known about, I think.

I found the 1/2-mile long cave in one of the largest glaciers (Langjokull) to be really fascinating. Ms. Grouse and grandson were less impressed than moi, but I think it is the only cave of its kind within a glacier.

Thingveillir National Park is historically interesting, as the site of the original parliament (Althing) in 930 AD. It is also where two different tectonic plates come together.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'You can PM me for more info'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Thank you gentlemen.

We timed this trip for early Feb during Duke's stand of away games. I have no intention of taking a swim anywhere other than the Blue Lagoon. No freezing ocean loving polar bear am I.
    I do love the beers though.

Keep any further suggestions coming!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Mrs. Tripping is saying she wants to do Iceland (to see the Northern Lights) as her 50th birthday trip. That’s a few years off, but I will be interested in this thread and its suggestions/feedback nonetheless.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I was there with family last summer. Sage’s recommendations are good. I highly recommend whale watching...we had some truly spectacular near brushes with humpbacks.
    In Reykjavik, Islenski Barinn is a tavern with really good tavern-style food, featuring lots of local seafood and lamb. Great mix of visitors and locals in there. It’s right near parliament in the heart of the (not big) city.
    As for museums in Reykjavik, I LOVED the Viking Settlement Museum, also in the heart of Reykjavik. A small facility, but with tons of great stuff about the cultural and ethnic origins of the Icelandic people. It’s centered around an excavated Icelandic turf home that’s something like 900 years old.
    We visited a number of the national parks, all of which were really spectacular. I’d recommend renting a car and getting out to some of them.
    I also did one of my favorite dorky tourist things ever and took the following photo:
    66EF4D2B-4384-489A-B414-4D09D76811AA.jpg
    All in all, Iceland is one of those magical places that really got in me. We loved our trip there and I’ll certainly be back someday.
    Have a great time!

Some initial feedback from my colleagues, unfiltered.
    -the Kort graveyard
    -a trip to Krauma: scenic drive, relaxing soak
    -Flyover Iceland

I expect I may get a few more ideas, and will share those as I get them.

Reykjanes Island

A restaurant called Grillid
    http://en.grillid.is/menu

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    ...All in all, Iceland is one of those magical places that really got in me...
    Sounds like Galapagos in that it can influence how you feel about this great old planet.

Oddly, that picture looks a lot like what I wear on a daily basis! Get me through grocery store lines in a hurry. Nobody counts to see if I have under 15 items.

Perlan museum:
    https://perlan.is

Swimming pools:
    https://guidetoiceland.is/reykjavik-...s-in-reykjavik

Apparently less costly than Blue Lagoon and great way to meet locals.

OX restaurant

Did a fabulous 2 week trip there 2 summers ago w my wife. One of the best trips we've ever taken. Saw most of this gorgeous country. PM me and we'll exchange emails and I can send you our itinerary with comments and suggestions, whatever you'd like.

Sites along south coast

Iceland is spectacular with frequently otherworldly landscapes.

We drove along the south coast and if you have time I would definitely recommend stopping at the places below most recommended at the top.

1) Jokulsarlan glacier - glacial ice blocks floating in a lake and onto black sand beach at the coast

2) Skogafoss waterfall - has a stairway up to the top of the falls and connects to some paths so you can take a nice hike too if you like

3) Reynisfjara beach near Vik - black sand beach with basalt formations

4) Eyjafjallajpkull volcano visitor center - location of recent eruption that grounded flights in northern Europe for a few days due to the ash in the air.

We were there in the summer of 2015 with our two teenaged children.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID

Just a note

It’s been a few years and most of what I saw has been suggested. But I wanted to add one general tip for those interested: not sure if still the case, but about 10 years ago Icelandic air had competitive fares to Europe from the USA with the perk of no extra charge to layover for a few days in Reykjavík along the way. Probably wouldn’t have made the trip otherwise but glad we had a four day stopover. It turned out optimal for us going to London from Seattle. Just thought folks might be interested.

Serious tourists -- not us, we were with nine grandchildren and their grandparents, staying every night in a large and comfortable farmhouse. But as I was saying, "serous tourists" take the Ring Road, Iceland Route 1, which circles the island and, so I am told, provide access to many, many beautiful locations. Three artists from Steamboat Springs spent two weeks in RV circling the island. I know our friends went to a number of other locations well off the beaten path, but accessed from Route 1.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I went at this time 2 years ago, and was lucky that it was a new moon. I saw the northern lights 3 out of 4 nights. Take a camera with a tripod and the ability for long exposure. Have fun. I was struck by the very stark landscape and lack of trees.
    No soup for you!