Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Putting the "New Year, new you" into perspective

https://waitbutwhy.com/2020/01/its-2...he-future.html

Anyone feeling old yet? If not, try changing your perspective a bit.

"When World War 2 started, the Civil War felt as far away to Americans as WW2 feels to us now."

"The Wonder Years aired from 1988 and 1993 and depicted the years between 1968 and 1973. When I watched the show, it felt like it was set in a time long ago. If a new Wonder Years premiered today, it would cover the years between 2000 and 2005."

"Also, remember when Jurassic Park, The Lion King, and Forrest Gump came out in theaters? Closer to the moon landing than today."

Or how about this one:
    "As for you, if you’re 60 or older, you were born closer to the 1800s than today. Today’s 35-year-olds were born closer to the 1940s than to today."

Sorry to rain on what may otherwise have been an ordinary happy day. Now drink a beer and tell the kids to get off your lawn, you've earned it
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post

"When World War 2 started, the Civil War felt as far away to Americans as WW2 feels to us now."

"The Wonder Years aired from 1988 and 1993 and depicted the years between 1968 and 1973. When I watched the show, it felt like it was set in a time long ago. If a new Wonder Years premiered today, it would cover the years between 2000 and 2005."

"Also, remember when Jurassic Park, The Lion King, and Forrest Gump came out in theaters? Closer to the moon landing than today."

Or how about this one:
    "As for you, if you’re 60 or older, you were born closer to the 1800s than today. Today’s 35-year-olds were born closer to the 1940s than to today."

Sorry to rain on what may otherwise have been an ordinary happy day. Now drink a beer and tell the kids to get off your lawn, you've earned it
    And, if you do this, be sure to post a review of said beer you-know-where.

Otherwise: Ouch!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post

Or how about this one:

I absolutely LOVE/HATE posts like this... getting old sucks. (And yet is 100% better than the alternative!)

I think about this sometimes in terms of music. When I try to get my kids to listen to Joshua tree or achtung baby, it’s like my parents playing me music from the 50s, which i would have had no patience for.

On the other hand...

Not everything old is new again, but some things are. I have two new bouncing baby knees that are less than six months old.

Look at the before and after pics. Tell me the one on the right doesn’t look fresh and new.

2472F965-EC98-47D7-BA45-0B91E82215D3.jpg

Now I can repurpose my cane for dramatic effect only, to shake at those youngsters on my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    On the other hand...

Not everything old is new again, but some things are. I have two new bouncing baby knees that are less than six months old.

Look at the before and after pics. Tell me the one on the right doesn’t look fresh and new.

2472F965-EC98-47D7-BA45-0B91E82215D3.jpg

Now I can repurpose my cane for dramatic effect only, to shake at those youngsters on my lawn.
    Are you kidding? The Six Million Dollar Man is old hat stuff from the 70's.

I can tell you that what passes as "old" changes with time, both with individuals and with society at large.
    What age do you now consider to be old?

I saw one survey which claimed people aged 30-49 think 69 is old; 50-64 year olds think 72 is old; and people over 65 think 74 is old.

As for me, I felt young this morning, then I walked five miles with the dog thru about six inches of snow, then came home and shoveled snow for 45 minutes, and now I feel old. Hope to feel young again tomorrow morning.

My mom has been alive for 41% of the time that the US has been a country. A bit tough for me to get my head around that one.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I'm nearly 56 and I am so glad I am not younger. I am happy I got to grow up watching the moon landings, watching TV go from black and white to color to UHD, playing outside from dawn to dusk without interference from grownups, riding bikes without helmets, laying across, the back seat shelf on road trips, going to the outer banks before the OBXers came and ruined it, living life without computers or cell phones, and so much more. People who did not get to experience that live a pithy existence in my view. Everyday life now seems like LA. Fake, plastic, and processed. Getting out into nature is the only escape from the idiocracy and that is getting harder to find. I read the opening post and nothing in it struck me as surprising. My father remembers parades with old Civil War vets in them. No matter how strange things get I will have lived a large part of my life in a simpler era, and that gives me solace - and I'm not even that old!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    My mom has been alive for 41% of the time that the US has been a country. A bit tough for me to get my head around that one.
    Whoa... Now that is some insight. I can't wrap my head around that in the slightest. Congrats to her on the long and I'm certain fruitful life.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking