Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    One more thing people might not be mentioning; every minute DeLaurier plays makes me more and more upset Marques Bolden decided to leave. He seems like a great team leader and he’s an athletic freak, but Javin is just not a good basketball player on a team that has Final Four aspirations.
    I am amazed this team leads the nation in margin of victory with such marginal players. Makes you wonder how K does it.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd give the MOTM to Joey, since he proved his worth to the team through his own absence.
    Good point. I'd have given it to Sims, Mack or Newman.

22.gif
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

2014-2015: 15-2 (3-2) thru first 17 games.

2009-2010: 15-2 (3-1) thru first 17 games.

2000-2001: 16-1 (5-0) thru first 17 games.

2019-2020: 15-2 (5-1) thru first 17 games.

Duke will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    If Alex O’Connell isn’t playing himself out of any conceivable non-blowout rotation, I’m officially baffled at Coach K.

He does nothing on defense. Nothing. And if he isn’t producing on offense (hitting the shot clock doesn’t count), he needs to be on the bench.

If Joey Baker got those minutes today, this is a win. If Wendell Moore got those minutes today, it’s a win and we cover.

I saw highlights of freshman year AOC yesterday. It is shocking just how much worse he’s gotten.

Sad to see.
    I believe Alex is putting too much pressure on himself. He knows if he plays well, the minutes are there for the taking this season. He would be better off just playing the game and not thinking so much. He's been in too many Duke practice sessions not to know what his assignments are on defense. But so has Javin and he has taken a step back since the Holidays. As for our defense, I liked how the press ignited a comeback but with only 5 players actually contributing tonight, we were gassed at the end of the game. If we had Joey and Wendell healthy, I think we win this game even with Clemson playing well.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am amazed this team leads the nation in margin of victory with such marginal players. Makes you wonder how K does it.
    Did you hurt yourself with the mental gymnastics required to make that strawman’s argument?

Javin DeLaurier is a vital piece to this team as a high-energy, 5-8 minute per game team leader and captain.

When he is asked to do more than that, Duke is in a bad spot.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    2014-2015: 15-2 (3-2) thru first 17 games.

2009-2010: 15-2 (3-1) thru first 17 games.

2000-2001: 16-1 (5-0) thru first 17 games.

2019-2020: 15-2 (5-1) thru first 17 games.

Duke will be alright.
    Duke had some upper class players that were very good on the championship teams. This team has some good upper class players that are good role players.
    GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Duke had some upper class players that were very good on the championship teams. This team has some good upper class players that are good role players.
    GoDuke!
    True, this year it could be argued Duke is deeper (when at full capacity) and college basketball overall fields weaker competition and teams, though.

Defense this year is ranked 6th on Kenpom, finished ranked 11th in 14-15, too. Offense is ranked 3rd this season and finished ranked 3rd in 14-15.
    Last edited by CameronDuke; 01-14-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Duke is still 1st on Kenpom.

Offense is 3rd, defense is 6th.

True, this year it could be argued Duke is deeper (when at full capacity) and college basketball overall fields weaker competition and teams, though.
    If Jack White can get his three point shot back, he can step up and be the good upper class player. He does the dirty work and is a good rebounder for his size and he never gives up. But I don't see Javin or Alex getting there. We could use a Quinn Cook type player on this team but we don't have one. I was hoping Alex would take that next step but alas it's not looking good right now. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Aside from the obvious things we did wrong, I thought K should have subbed more when we pulled even and then went ahead. We had good momentum with that press but gassed ourselves and then had nothing in the tank, especially Vernon. His 4 consecutive missed FTs when we were up 3 were rough (although they missed more FTs then we did). Simms saw that Vern was cooked and kept going at him. Clemson played a good tough game and while we stunk for most of the game, I feel like we could have pushed that lead if K had subbed more. He must have really felt like Javin, AOC and Hurt weren’t going to give us anything. So much for the depth!
    true - but CLemson played 7 guys 10 minutes or more. We played 8. If they were fresher than us then, well, no excuses. 8 is enough. I grant thath maybe Moore (D) or Baker (O) woulda been better players than who we used but as for depth we had less minutes on our big guys than they did - Simms played 36 minutes for Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If Jack White can get his three point shot back, he can step up and be the good upper class player. He does the dirty work and is a good rebounder for his size and he never gives up. But I don't see Javin or Alex getting there. We could use a Quinn Cook type player on this team but we don't have one. I was hoping Alex would take that next step but alas it's not looking good right now. GoDuke!
    Whole heartedly agree on all, especially Jack. Has a knack for hitting the big shot, getting the big rebound or loose ball, key blocks on crunch time shots. He’s the closest to a consistent, solid upperclassmen but not in the Cook, Scheyer, Battier mold.

Still lots of basketball left and time for guys to surprise us. In 09-10, starting in a Saturday mid February game at Cameron vs Maryland, Zoobs started playing like a man possessed and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    true - but CLemson played 7 guys 10 minutes or more. We played 8. If they were fresher than us then, well, no excuses. 8 is enough. I grant thath maybe Moore (D) or Baker (O) woulda been better players than who we used but as for depth we had less minutes on our big guys than they did - Simms played 36 minutes for Clemson.
    Good point about Clemson's depth, but playing at home with a fan base behind the players helps with the fatigue factor. Well in my humble opinion. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mak P View Post
    My thoughts on this is

AOC is by far the most disappointing Duke player in recent years. You hit the top/side of the backboard
    AOC has a ton of talent. He’s athletic and can shoot. Although he has his share of defensive lapses this season, his defense seems better this year than in previous years. Offensively, I would love to see AOC play with a bit more change of pace. It seems like he always attacks 100 miles an hour when sometimes the situation may call for something different like a pull up, a floater, or a pass. I am rooting for him as he will be important to our success - especially without Joey.

Whole heartedly agree on all, especially Jack. Has a knack for hitting the big shot, getting the big rebound or loose ball, key blocks on crunch time shots. He’s the closest to a consistent, solid upperclassmen but not in the Cook, Scheyer, Battier mold.

Still lots of basketball left and time for guys to surprise us. In 09-10, starting in a Saturday mid February game at Cameron vs Maryland, Zoobs started playing like a man possessed and the rest is history.
    I agree. The season is still young and our guys can still improve. We really missed Baker and Wendell tonight. I think we win if we were at full strength. I'm not down on the team and I believe we still win the regular season. Our defense was less than stellar tonight and part of that was missing Wendell and Joey. Well I guess I should wait for Kedsy's stats before saying that.

GoDuke! and

Yeah, injuries happen, etc., etc., but sure would like to have Wendell Moore for Clemson or a similar matchup. Strong, long, and versatile. Would lessen the chances of being out-muscled.

Hadn't really seen much of Aamir Simms before watching the UNC -- Clemson game and then tonight. As Coach K might say, he is a man. NBA potential in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    AOC has a ton of talent. He’s athletic and can shoot. Although he has his share of defensive lapses this season, his defense seems better this year than in previous years. Offensively, I would love to see AOC play with a bit more change of pace. It seems like he always attacks 100 miles an hour when sometimes the situation may call for something different like a pull up, a floater, or a pass. I am rooting for him as he will be important to our success - especially without Joey.
    I would love to see Alex used as a spot up 3 point shooter on offense. This would take some of the pressure off him to drive into the lane. As for his defense, I don't know how much that can improve. He get's beaten off the dribble and he's prone to giving up the back door layup. He has the talent but I don't know if he can "get it". GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I knew Baker and Moore wouldn’t be playing tonight, but I didn’t realize several other guys would be taking the night off as well. Sleepwalking all night. No urgency.
    Man was Duke terrible. Lackadaisical poor fundamental basketball. Came out flat and we still had chances to win. Clemson was much better than Duke. Final score could have been much worse. Lot of film to demostrate all the flaws of not playing well. You would think losing Baker would increase the sense of urgency. Layup practice needed for Goldwire and AOC. We lost about 10 to 12 points that were gimme baskets. Quick turnaround needed against Louisville.Just hope Jones was not hurt with his bad spill. Jack gave us a lot tonight. That steal in the final minutes should have lead to a 3point play, but became 1 for 2 on the foul line.Yep games like this happen,and Clemson was pumped. Duke gave Clemson a gift tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    My 8-year old niece runs into the room: "Did we win??"

"Afraid not, hun."

"Ugh. I can't believe they scored more points than us." *runs out of the room*

That pretty much sums it up.
    With all the stats related to offensive and defensive efficiency and advanced analysis the best predictor of whether you win or lose is who scored the most points. You have a very wise niece.

I had her same reaction but I ran out of the room right after JGold missed the layup.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    With all the stats related to offensive and defensive efficiency and advanced analysis the best predictor of whether you win or lose is who scored the most points. You have a very wise niece.

I had her same reaction but I ran out of the room right after JGold missed the layup.
    if only we had that data before the game, we could all be millionaires.
    1200. DDMF.

Takes some of the steam out of my enjoyment of Clemson beating unc.

Usually the losses hurt more than the wins feel good. However ...

The Clemson win AT unc covers this loss.