Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board Games

Not sure if this qualifies, but the missus and myself are big into word games. Boggle is a favorite. Scrabble is fun if you don't have one player that insists on taking 45 minutes for each turn.

Our favorite is Quiddler. It's a card based word game, where you draw and discard similar to fun rummy. Highly recommended.

Additionally, I'd echo those who mentioned Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity, Taboo, Scattergories...

Our challenge is finding games to play with just two people. Any advice on that front would be appreciated.

Balderdash is a fun word game. You make up definitions for a word, with one of the definitions being the real deal, and then the group votes on which one is correct. Some of the made up definitions were hilarious. My mother enjoyed sitting in the other room listening to her kids and grandkids laughing through the game.

This year we tried Qwirkle. Sort of a dominoes type game where you play tiles based on colors or shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Balderdash is a fun word game.
    I second this one, and you don't even need to buy a game. Just have a dictionary and some creativity handy and you've got a fun evening. My family has spent many hours laughing ourselves silly doing this. You tend to learn stuff as you play, too, both about words and about your fellow players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Our challenge is finding games to play with just two people. Any advice on that front would be appreciated.
    Othello and Pente come to mind in realm of games of pure skill. If you have a whole empty afternoon, the rail games play well with just two. Cribbage is an old, light-hearted standard for my wife and I. We've been known to take a folding cribbage board on hiking trips. Scotland Yard is a good logic game that can be played by two players.

Many thanks to all for the excellent suggestions. We started with the kids and got Labyrinth Jr., which has been a big hit (although the 3-y.o. definitely needs a good bit of help), and I couldn’t help but get Mastermind, which the 5-y.o. has enjoyed even if he doesn’t quite get how to reason from the various guesses to the conclusion.

I also echo the suggestion up thread of playing Balderdash out of the dictionary. My family did that a bunch when I was a kid and it was always a ton of fun.

Keep the suggestions and recommendations coming - a good board game resource is a wonderful thing to have.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Many of these games have good electronic versions that render quite well on a tablet and can be had shockingly cheap.
    I bought an iPad version of Scotland Yard, for example, a few years back for a dollar and it has paid for itself many times over with the enjoyment I've gotten out of it.

Thoughts on Twilight Imperium? SonPK is interested for his birthday.

Scrabble is a game that works for beginners up to high levels of skill. While some luck is involved (obviously), it pretty consistently rewards skill. As a result, lesser-skilled players (esp. if young) can get discouraged if playing against word mavens.

A couple card games our kids played growing up were Set and (as already mentioned) Quiddler. In larger groups, Apples to Apples was quite fun too, and could involve kids and adults.

Mastermind is another one that is good for reasoning.

I can't speak from experience, but I suspect from observation that the comments above about the side benefits of learning poker are probably correct.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Balderdash is a fun word game.
    I wish our experience had been as good. We may not be as creative BS-ers as some; we got tired of trying to create balderdash definitions and ended up repeating one in particular. Sadly didn't work for us.