Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB 2020 Coaching Carousel

UNCW fires coach McGrath

If this is to early. Mods feel free to do what you think best.

This is my hometown & my wife graduated from UNCW. My first thoughts are don't hire another coach with UNC on their resume. I think they are still paying for Buzz Peterson. I think most people here are resigned to occasionally catching a rising star like Kevin Keatts & Brad Brownell but you will not be able to hold on to them.. Also Jerry Wainright was here for 8 years and they won what I believe is their only NCAA tournament game in 2002.

I read some of the fan comments on Facebook and some suggested they should have done more to keep KK. I think State quadrupled his salary so that is unrealistic.
    Last edited by -jk; 01-14-2020 at 09:10 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    UNCW fires coach McGrath

If this is to early. Mods feel free to do what you think best.

This is my hometown & my wife graduated from UNCW. My first thoughts are don't hire another coach with UNC on their resume. I think they are still paying for Buzz Peterson. I think most people here are resigned to occasionally catching a rising star like Kevin Keatts & Brad Brownell but you will not be able to hold on to them.. Also Jerry Wainright was here for 8 years and they won what I believe is their only NCAA tournament game in 2002.

I read some of the fan comments on Facebook and some suggested they should have done more to keep KK. I think State quadrupled his salary so that is unrealistic.
    Roy could stay in the UNC system and get himself a job with less pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'd say roy's players could go with him, but I'm not sure he thinks they're good enough for the Colonial conference ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'd say roy's players could go with him, but I'm not sure he thinks they're good enough for the Colonial conference ...
    Not a very long bus ride from chappaheeya to Wilmington...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    http://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=CAA

With UNC coming in at #100 in T-Rank, they'd have a comfortable but not insurmountable lead at the top of the Colonial. I'd give them decent odds to win the conference and secure that Auto-bid in the 13-14 range, but pesky away games at College of Charleston and William & Mary would await. Who knows - maybe William & Mary would avenge the loss of Justin Pierce as a grad transfer to UNC, and stun the Heels in the CAA tournament to earn their first ever trip to the Dance!

If only promotion/relegation were a thing in college basketball, and we could actually see this scenario play out. Honestly, it would be nice for Carolina to get to compete against some teams at their own level this year. It's unfair for them to have to field a P5 team every year, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    ... Honestly, it would be nice for Carolina to get to compete against some teams at their own level this year. ...

Is there a North Carolina penal league?

Oh, sorry. I read that as unc competing against teams at their own level OF honesty ...

Bus driver?

I was thinking the same thing. He loves the area. He has a home on the south end of Wrightsville Beach or he did when I retired with the Town almost nine years ago.

This is the first coach fired this season, right? I could not find or think of another.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Bus driver?

That would be catastrophic for the student population: ol' roy providing the same "benefits" to all students as his players.

McCarty, McGrath... who's next? I'm sensing a pattern.
    Let's go Duke!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    McWilliams?

Mayor McCheese? Mayor_McCheese.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Mayor McCheese? Mayor_McCheese.jpg
    Nah he's in Chapel Hill as long as he wants to be there.

Beilein May Be Back in the Mix for College?

ESPN article out of Cleveland that John Beilein, long-time Michigan coach who just moved up the NBA, may not make it through a full season. Beilein, in addition to posting a 14-40 record, has struggled to adapt to the NBA game or even get along with Cav players.

Not a happy season in the Beilein family as his son got canned at Niagara for "personal issues."

Back to college for John Beilein? OTOH, with a five-year contract with Cleveland, he certainly has some options.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    ESPN article out of Cleveland that John Beilein, long-time Michigan coach who just moved up the NBA, may not make it through a full season. Beilein, in addition to posting a 14-40 record, has struggled to adapt to the NBA game or even get along with Cav players.

Not a happy season in the Beilein family as his son got canned at Niagara for "personal issues."

Back to college for John Beilein? OTOH, with a five-year contract with Cleveland, he certainly has some options.
    I could see Texas being a destination for him perhaps. Goodness knows Shaka is doing a poor job there.

That said, Beilein's style is less than flashy (though one cannot argue with the results) and it may be that Texas will want someone to get the fans a bit more excited.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I could see Texas being a destination for him perhaps. Goodness knows Shaka is doing a poor job there.

That said, Beilein's style is less than flashy (though one cannot argue with the results) and it may be that Texas will want someone to get the fans a bit more excited.
    Beilein was a poor fit for the pros...this is not surprising. I think Shaka is a good coach, but a poor fit for Texas. Coaches and programs need to fit...neither of these do IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

This is the least surprising thing ever. Did anyone not expect basically exactly this as soon as he announced?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is the least surprising thing ever. Did anyone not expect basically exactly this as soon as he announced?
    I try hard to not predict how coaching hires will shake out anymore. Been burned too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    "...you mean there's gambling at Rick's Cafe?...."

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I try hard to not predict how coaching hires will shake out anymore. Been burned too many times.
    This one was easy.