Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I mean, this was pretty commonplace here within (relatively) recent memory.

Now if the players smoked during games, that would be a story.

I think into the 70s there were players who smoked in NBA locker rooms at half and so on...I remember being surprised reading about that.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Vlade Divac was a smoker as an nba player. Not in games though.
    Just a hunch, but I think Bill Walton was too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Just a hunch, but I think Bill Walton was too.
    Not sure they were smoking the same substances.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Billy Gillispie - How does this columnist really feel?

https://sports.yahoo.com/tarleton-st...150053996.html

It's not often I read an article so scathing about a coach from a real news outlet. Either this is libel, or Billy Gillispie is a bad person. I think I had heard about the DUIs, but mostly I know that UK went to the NIT with him at the helm. And unless you are Coach Cal with Big Blue nattys in your pocket, that's not flying at Kentucky... thus the pink slip.

If there's no lawsuit, then the shoe probably fits.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    https://sports.yahoo.com/tarleton-st...150053996.html

It's not often I read an article so scathing about a coach from a real news outlet. Either this is libel, or Billy Gillispie is a bad person. I think I had heard about the DUIs, but mostly I know that UK went to the NIT with him at the helm. And unless you are Coach Cal with Big Blue nattys in your pocket, that's not flying at Kentucky... thus the pink slip.

If there's no lawsuit, then the shoe probably fits.

9F
    This jives with the stories I've heard about him. He reportedly had a significant alcohol problem, so that may have been a factor. The question for me is, if he had been a successful basketball coach, would UK and its fans have tolerated the bad behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    This jives with the stories I've heard about him. He reportedly had a significant alcohol problem, so that may have been a factor. The question for me is, if he had been a successful basketball coach, would UK and its fans have tolerated the bad behavior?
    From reports, he is a strange and self-destructive man. Like he never signed his contract at Kentucky, just an MOU -- and he was there two years!

Gillispie signed a memorandum of understanding in [AD Mitch] Barnhart’s house following a whirlwind courtship that lasted less than a day. Yet he never signed a formal contract as his lawyer and the university fought over the wording.

In the end, that decision may end up costing him millions. Barnhart said the university did not plan to pay Gillispie a $6 million buyout that was to be part of his seven-year deal that remains unsigned.

“Suffice it to say it will be less than that,” Barnhart said.

Barnhart said the school would abide by the memorandum of understanding, but he considers it to be a year-to-year contract. Gillispie made $2.3 million annually.
    In the predictable lawsuit, he got $3 million, one-half of what was in the unsigned contract.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

We have a Coaching Carousel thread. Billy Gillispie is not special enough to merit his own.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    I think they would tolerate anything from a coach who wins

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    We have a Coaching Carousel thread. Billy Gillispie is not special enough to merit his own.
    Fair enough. I stand corrected!

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.