Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Jack is shooting a bit better and it certainly helps to have Goldwire playing well. That said, Duke is not going to be able to play defense as hard as in previous games. Jones will need to continue to shoot well- something that I am not sure can be counted on. But injuries are part of the season.
    I bet the team will not hear Coach K say the team won't play as hard as in previous games. He might not press the ball as much but we'll see the same hardnosed man2man defense that we've seen so far. The team might not play it as well but it won't be because they aren't playing hard. GoDuke!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    There were some on this board during the pre-season who thought that J-Rob might see meaningful minutes during ACC play at some point this year. Well, if it was ever going to happen tonight would probably be the night. Anyone willing to stake their name to that claim? (Note: I'm certainly not!)
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    There were some on this board during the pre-season who thought that J-Rob might see meaningful minutes during ACC play at some point this year. Well, if it was ever going to happen tonight would probably be the night. Anyone willing to stake their name to that claim? (Note: I'm certainly not!)
    I do think he’ll play if Carey gets in foul trouble

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Why? If Carey gets in foul trouble then wouldn't Javin play those minutes (like he always does)?

I suppose it is possible that White plays a bit on the wing in this game with us being down 2 wing players, which could potentially open up a few PF minutes for JRob. I would not be sad to see that and would love for the big fella to get a few meaningful minutes during his senior season.

-Jason "Anyone remember the Pitt game two years ago where JRob was raining threes in the first ten minutes of the game? Gotta be a career highlight for him!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That was the "Bagley is Overrated" game !

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Why? If Carey gets in foul trouble then wouldn't Javin play those minutes (like he always does)?

I suppose it is possible that White plays a bit on the wing in this game with us being down 2 wing players, which could potentially open up a few PF minutes for JRob. I would not be sad to see that and would love for the big fella to get a few meaningful minutes during his senior season.
    I completely agree. Javin will get the minutes (both minutes needed due to Carey being off the floor and also any minutes created by Jack moving to the wing).

That said, Justin is an intriguing player: 6'10", good three-point shooter for a guy his size, great shot-blocker, can handle a little, has decent hops. It's really a shame his foot speed and lateral quickness don't enable him to adequately defend good, high-major players.

Javin averages 14 minutes a game, has a history of foul trouble (which has greatly improved lately), and doesn’t provide much of an offensive threat. I don’t think Robinson plays 20 minutes or anything, but he logs some minutes to spell Javin if Carey is really limited. This also factors in two guys being out- normally we could mix in some small ball to buy those minutes without Carey/Javin.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Starting lineup: Jones, Goldwire, Stanley, Hurt, Carey
    Bench; O’Connell, White, Javin

That’s plenty of depth and versatility. Clemson isn’t very deep themselves. Eight is enough!
    I like bringing that kind of experience off the bench.

Javin averages 14 minutes a game, has a history of foul trouble (which has greatly improved lately), and doesn’t provide much of an offensive threat. I don’t think Robinson plays 20 minutes or anything, but he logs some minutes to spell Javin if Carey is really limited. This also factors in two guys being out- normally we could mix in some small ball to buy those minutes without Carey/Javin.
    It's hard to draw any legitimate conclusions, since Justin has only played 39 minutes this season, but here's a chart showing various per 40 and other stats for Javin and Justin this season:

Code:
    Player	eFG%	pt/40	reb/40	asst/40	stl/40	blk/40 	to/40	foul/40	oRtg	PER
    Javin	54.5	12.3	11.9	2.5	1.8	2.5	2.1	5.9	122.4	20.8
    Justin	33.3	6.2	7.2	1.0	2.1	7.2	2.1	7.2	73.3	9.7
    Javin has played 30+ minutes in a game twice in his career. He's played 24+ minutes nine times, 20+ minutes 12 times, and 18+ minutes 23 times, so he's proved he can play those kinds of minutes. His defense is far superior to Justin's. And frankly, other than shooting threes and blocking shots, Javin does everything else better, too. Coach K may find a way to give Justin a few minutes, but if the game is competitive and there are big-man minutes needed, they will go to Javin.

JRob has not gotten more than mop up minutes, even in blow out ACC wins. I don’t know why that would be different tonite. I guess if Carey, White and Jav foul out maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by golfinesquire View Post
    JRob has not gotten more than mop up minutes, even in blow out ACC wins. I don’t know why that would be different tonite. I guess if Carey, White and Jav foul out maybe.
    The conjecturing is predicated on the fact that we are down a man, so that is what would, theoretically, make the difference. We have been playing deep all season.

That said, we still have essentially the same guys as the Tech game, when Joey only played four minutes.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    The conjecturing is predicated on the fact that we are down a man, so that is what would, theoretically, make the difference. We have been playing deep all season.

That said, we still have essentially the same guys as the Tech game, when Joey only played four minutes.
    True, but the guys who are out really play the perimeter, unlike Justin Robinson.

Does Nike carry a Walking Boot in their line of footwear? Or even a Duke Walking Boot?

With the frequency of foot and ankle injuries over the years, one wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Does Nike carry a Walking Boot in their line of footwear? Or even a Duke Walking Boot?

With the frequency of foot and ankle injuries over the years, one wonders.
    I have it on good authority that they will be debuting the Brotherhood branded walking boot on Saturday.

Joey Good to Go?

Steve Wiseman of the N&O has an update on Joey: Duke expects him to play Saturday night.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...239381298.html

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Steve Wiseman of the N&O has an update on Joey: Duke expects him to play Saturday night.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...239381298.html
    Sounds like good news!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Really glad to hear this.We need Joeys' hustle and 3pt. bombing against the 'Ville.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    This is great news to be sure! Alex's struggles on Tuesday made it all the more important for Joey to get healthy quickly. As I've mentioned previously I love the way K has used the two of them throughout the season, essentially trying them both out early and then going with the "hot hand" down the stretch. Given the inconsistencies of both guys, having two options to fill the "sharp-shooter" role is all the more important, and became even more so when Alex didn't step up on Tuesday as many of us had hoped.

I'm nowhere near giving up on Alex yet; indeed, he brings certain things to the floor (namely increased athleticism) that Joey doesn't. I still think both will continue to play a role down the stretch, but having two options for one role is a really nice luxury.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Great news! We really need this win. Joey brings a lot of intangibles too, he’s always hustling and being positive and cheering on his teammates. At the start of the Louisville comeback last season you could see him during a timeout telling his teammates “we’re winning this!” or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Great news! We really need this win. Joey brings a lot of intangibles too, he’s always hustling and being positive and cheering on his teammates. At the start of the Louisville comeback last season you could see him during a timeout telling his teammates “we’re winning this!” or something to that effect.
    loved that he voluntarily burned his red shirt because he was sure he would be able to help the team. Whether that was the right decision aside, I love the attitude of wanting so much to help the team be successful. We could have used this years baker last year at times when teams were packing it in.
    1200. DDMF.