Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    One reason refereeing in the NBA is better...is the NBA has unburdened their officials from ever calling traveling, charging - and as long as the calendar hasn't changed, all continuation is good.
    Yeah NBA traveling is horrendous. I don’t watch much but , when I do, I have to remind myself that 4-steps is the nba rule.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Sure but my point was that those other generational talents were like basketball gravity. The entire league had to adjust to account for Shaq and Lebron. Steph is credited for the shift to the space and 3-point game but only a few players can come close to his profligacy. Still, you're seeing a generation of players try to replicate Steph's game. Zion is in some ways a throwback, a hyper-efficient round-the-basket guy that doesn't dribble, dribble, dribble or jack up outside shots all day. If he reaches his peak, I could see his game altering the NBA landscape like the games of past greats have.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    I think there's a bit of a difference between Steph and Zion's exceptionalism. Steph, with help from Steve Nash, reimagined how people could play and put his excellent athleticism (particularly his hand/eye coordination) in the service of that vision. We're now seeing some people doing a tolerably good imitation of Steph, particularly Trae Young and Damian Lillard. Zion, by contrast, is truly sui generis, sort of like Shaq...I don't think that his play is replicable even with great imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Eeeeeek! What makes Zion so unique is his ginormous body coupled with his amazing footwork and off-the-charts athleticism. It's a very, very, very, rare combination. Folks like Curry's body are common, but Zion is in the ballpark of Shaq (huge monster with nimble feet) and Lebron (finding that size, strength, speed, and durability is unmatched).

I don't think there will be another Zion, and it's not because of the overplayed "There is only one Zion" or "He's not the second coming of MJ, he's the first Kobe" (and we do this too with Duke players with 1/10 the talent as these superstars); it's because Zion's body + motor + athleticism is such a rare combination.
    The point I was trying to make is that once in a while a player comes along that changes how the game is played --- sometimes because others attempt to emulate them but often because other teams have to change how they play to account for them. Steph is the latest, best example of a player who forced a league wide evolution. Zion can do the same. In fact, there are already plenty of sports think pieces holding Zion up as a revolutionary force in the game. His hyper-efficient post-up game could change the entire narrative about the league moving smaller and only valuing perimeter play/three point shooting...

My analogy wasn't about body types but about revolutionary talent and for that guys like Steph, LBJ, Shaq, etc are the right points of comparison. Zion's body makes him unique but it's how he puts it to work that makes him exceptional.

However, I do stand by my comments a few threads back that, yes, you will see kids try to emulate Zion's game and even body type. They won't be successful but they'll try. Bulk is back, baby! In all seriousness, if you've ever spent any time around serious youth sports you know that the latest, greatest diets/workouts/skills training/sought after skills trickle down, down, down...it's why they started feeding us southern boys creatine in our bottles before we could walk.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If you read the context and the posts that I’ve been writing above, you’ll see I’m being very facetious.

Also, I think Zion as a playmaker is very overrated. He wasn’t bad at Duke and his assist numbers aren’t great in the NBA. He’ll be an okay playmaker, and that’s okay. Because the Pellies have Ball, who is elite. Also, Ingram ain’t bad.
    Making plays for yourself counts as playmaking, IMO. Zion is very good at that. His unique gifts allow him to create plays that others physically can't.

Zion with 15 at the half tonight against OKC. Also a spectacular block that is sure to make the highlights.

It’s why they started feeding us southern boys creatine in our bottles before we could walk.
    How’d that work out for you? I started taking Creatine to try and build muscle after Mark McGwire said he was taking it. Well, after about a month I couldn’t even put my pants on anymore because my thighs grew so much. I was like “Oh cr#p, I’d better stop taking this stuff immediately or I’m going to need an entirely new wardrobe!”

It was scary to see how quickly and dramatically these substances can alter your body composition. My girlfriend couldn’t stop laughing.

Our boy now up to 23 points, 3 boards, and an assist at the midway point of the 3rd. Most impressive might be his 9 of 11 from the line.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Our boy now up to 23 points, 3 boards, and an assist at the midway point of the 3rd. Most impressive might be his 9 of 11 from the line.
    Led a run to tie the game, but once he went out, NO quickly went down 10 again.

Ingram out for the 3rd straight game with a sprained ankle.

He’s got 30+ again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Led a run to tie the game, but once he went out, NO quickly went down 10 again.

Ingram out for the 3rd straight game with a sprained ankle.
    I know. He’s done it again to start the 4th. Has given the Pelicans the lead. Question is can they maintain it as he goes out for a rest?

He’s got 30+ again.
    I know. He’s done it again to start the 4th. Has given the Pelicans the lead. Question is can they maintain it as he goes out for a rest?
    We need to remind ourselves that this kid dominating the NBA has not turned 20.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We need to remind ourselves that this kid dominating the NBA has not turned 20.
    Yep. It’s truly Amazing with a capital “A”. Ja has had a great season, but does anyone doubt that if Zion had played the whole year he would not only be the runaway rookie of the year candidate, but also playing this Sunday in the NBA All-Star game, and possibly be in the discussion for MVP? All those would have been real possibilities. Heck, if he leads to pelicans into the playoffs he may still get rookie of the year.

Old man JJ has 21.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Old man JJ has 21.
    please don't say that around Mrs Pie.....JJ is the only dukie that stops her moving through the house during a game....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    please don't say that around Mrs Pie...JJ is the only dukie that stops her moving through the house during a game...
    LOL. I only thought about that because a few posts upthread someone mentioned/reminded that Zion is less than 20 years old .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    LOL. I only thought about that because a few posts upthread someone mentioned/reminded that Zion is less than 20 years old .
    Turns 20 on July 6.

We can post some highlights around his birthday -- good fun for the off-season.

Yep. It’s truly Amazing with a capital “A”. Ja has had a great season, but does anyone doubt that if Zion had played the whole year he would not only be the runaway rookie of the year candidate, but also playing this Sunday in the NBA All-Star game, and possibly be in the discussion for MVP? All those would have been real possibilities. Heck, if he leads to pelicans into the playoffs he may still get rookie of the year.
    The Pelicans have 27 games left in the regular season. If Zion remains healthy and continues this level of play, he will win ROY even if New Orleans doesn't make the playoffs.

The rising stars game is tomorrow at 9pm. I was hoping we'd get a large dose of Zion but that likely won't happen since he played 31 minutes tonight.

Saw this tweet from Elias Sports Bureau:

"Zion Williamson has 221 points and 75 rebounds in 10 games in the @NBA. The last player with that many points and rebounds over his first 10 games in the league was Shaquille O'Neal in 1992 (238 points, 158 rebounds)."

Zion is doing this on a minutes restriction, too. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

"Zion Williamson has 221 points and 75 rebounds in 10 games in the @NBA. The last player with that many points and rebounds over his first 10 games in the league was Shaquille O'Neal in 1992 (238 points, 158 rebounds)."

That's a great find, thanks for posting. Zion continues to be one of the most efficient players (in minutes, touches, whatever metric you use) ever. And he's not even in Zion shape yet.

Wow, Shaq had twice as many boards.

Shaq did that on 368 minutes of playing time. Zion has done it in 274 minutes. I leave it to one of you stat gurus to figure out the adjusted performance comparison.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block