Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Shaq did that on 368 minutes of playing time. Zion has done it in 274 minutes. I leave it to one of you stat gurus to figure out the adjusted performance comparison.
    Right. But even with adjustments, the comparison is flawed because Shaq came in as a 7' giant playing against other centers, in an era when centers still played primarily around the basket. Zion is defending both bigs and some wings, both of which pull him away from the basket far more than Shaq ever did. So Shaq was bound to gather in more rebounds. To me that makes what Zion is doing even more incredible. To even be close to Shaq numbers in rebounding is insane!

Zion over 70% FT his last six games - on over 10 FTA/game. That is HUGE for him.

edit Giannis and Harden only 2 guys in all NBA over 10 FTA/game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Shaq did that on 368 minutes of playing time. Zion has done it in 274 minutes. I leave it to one of you stat gurus to figure out the adjusted performance comparison.
    pretty simple to go points per minute:
    Zion .81
    Shaq .64
    Advantage Zion

rebounds per minute:
    Zion .27
    Shaq .43
    Advantage Shaq

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Right. But even with adjustments, the comparison is flawed because Shaq came in as a 7' giant playing against other centers, in an era when centers still played primarily around the basket. Zion is defending both bigs and some wings, both of which pull him away from the basket far more than Shaq ever did. So Shaq was bound to gather in more rebounds. To me that makes what Zion is doing even more incredible. To even be close to Shaq numbers in rebounding is insane!
    Thats exactly what im saying.
    As foolish as some think i am.
    He will go down as a top 5 to 15 player of all time when he is done.
    Im not worried about his endurance.kids his age ball 6hrs a day every day all summer .he will be fine barring injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    How’d that work out for you? I started taking Creatine to try and build muscle after Mark McGwire said he was taking it. Well, after about a month I couldn’t even put my pants on anymore because my thighs grew so much. I was like “Oh cr#p, I’d better stop taking this stuff immediately or I’m going to need an entirely new wardrobe!”

It was scary to see how quickly and dramatically these substances can alter your body composition. My girlfriend couldn’t stop laughing.
    The bolded was one of the points I was trying to make about Zion! He becomes worldwide (and he's on his way), young athletes will absolutely try to emulate his build and game. Impossible tasks but it will happen! You'll start seeing mini-Zion wannabes pop up on the AAU circuit in the next year or two. Mark it down!

As for me, yes, it did swell me up some. They used to feed it to us in the not-official-but-adjacent workout programs associated with my middle and high school sports programs, particularly football. IIRC, parents had to sign a waiver. The programs promised to add X lbs to your bench, Y lbs to your squat, Z lbs to your deadlift. It was STRONGLY encouraged that if you wanted to achieve those off season gains, you needed to take the creatine they administered. The coaches would reinforce/encourage it, too. I thought it was odd then, even more so now. The programming starts early, man!

Zion is unstoppable.

I have watched pretty much every Pelicans game since he returned, although sometimes I fast-forward to skip his bench minutes. (He's now regularly playing the 1st 6 minutes of each quarter, plus the last 3 minutes of the 2nd & 4th quarters.) The Pelicans -- who are a very likable team, btw -- are much better when he's on the court. He's scoring down low against much taller guys like Steven Adams and Hassan Whiteside. If he gets switched against a non-big -- it's automatic. He's also thrown some very nice passes.

He needs to get in better shape, which likely won't happen until next season, and improve as a defender, and I am terrified that he won't be able to stay healthy, but if he does, he is a lock to be one of the best two or three players in the league -- and maybe the undisputed #1 -- for as long as he plays.

I said this last season in a different thread and got some pushback: I'm a Duke alum and have been a pretty fervent fan, and seen pretty much every game, since 1985. Zion is the best player Duke's ever had.

I know that statement/conversation requires some criteria, so here are mine: if you were to consider each Duke player at the conclusion of his Duke career, and choose a team to play one ACC/NCAA season (or one NBA season for that matter, but since we're talking about Duke's best players, I think it makes sense to primarily consider this for a college season) -- Zion is going #1 in that draft, displacing Laettner at the top.

We didn't read the stories that said "Send in the Rebels and send out the clowns."
    And we didn't lose by 30.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is the key line from that article.

Zion at center breaks the NBA, IMO. No NBA big man outside of Giannis has a prayer of guarding him.
    I love the low post scoring that Zion has brought to the NBA game... I believe a healthy Cousins throughout the finals would have exploited the opportunity last year. I also think that a locked in LeBron can guard Zion in the post and on the perimeter.

Zion's end of game misses are rough....

Zion in the house! I know it’s been mentioned on the in-game thread, but I can’t bear to see the Zion thread fall off the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Zion in the house! I know it’s been mentioned on the in-game thread, but I can’t bear to see the Zion thread fall off the first page.
    So, Zion’s literally Baaacccckkk?!?!

BR with an article on the pressure of 'being Zion', how he's handling it, and how those around him are trying to make sure he maintains a joy for the game...which craters for a lot of people when they become pros.

12. Check out this beautiful jab step that sent the Warrior defender tripping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIO6X_XnaY

He's looking more and more like the Duke version; not quite but getting close.

13. Another video nicely summing Zion's progress in the NBA so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u09NPT8WSLE

It's crazy to think he's not even in Duke shape yet and he's only the 3rd youngest player in the NBA!

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Check out this beautiful jab step that sent the Warrior defender tripping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIO6X_XnaY

He's looking more and more like the Duke version; not quite but getting close.
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Another video nicely summing Zion's progress in the NBA so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u09NPT8WSLE

It's crazy to think he's not even in Duke shape yet and he's only the 3rd youngest player in the NBA!
    Both of those videos are great, thanks for posting them. That jab step/step back 3 was crazie good!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

How can you not love Zion? My uncheat buddies even like him and that's a miracle in its self. Zion loves the game and has fun playing it. I've never seen a player that can do all the things he does. Drive the ball-check, offensive rebound-check, defensive rebound-check, on the ball defense-check, block shots-check, pass the ball-check, shoot the three-check, midrange shot-check and Smile big time-check. Like I said, how can you not like him!

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    How can you not love Zion? My uncheat buddies even like him and that's a miracle in its self. Zion loves the game and has fun playing it. I've never seen a player that can do all the things he does. Drive the ball-check, offensive rebound-check, defensive rebound-check, on the ball defense-check, block shots-check, pass the ball-check, shoot the three-check, midrange shot-check and Smile big time-check. Like I said, how can you not like him!

GoDuke!
    If you're a Portland, San Antonio, or Memphis fan and you're angry the Pellies are making a massive push for that final 8-seed?

I agree that Zion is excellent for the game. His scoring - and the way he's doing it with efficiency - is really incredible.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If you're a Portland, San Antonio, or Memphis fan and you're angry the Pellies are making a massive push for that final 8-seed?

I agree that Zion is excellent for the game. His scoring - and the way he's doing it with efficiency - is really incredible.
    Sure he did it in high school and college, and he's doing it now...

But just wait til he gets to the next level and has to face real competition.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/02/12/...te-to-the-nba/

Not looking too prophetic there, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post

At least Mike Greenberg went on air and admitted he was flat out wrong in his assessment that Zion would not translate. You don’t see that too often these days.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post

Francesa is often wrong, never in doubt, and always surly for whatever reason.