Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC - 1/13-1/19

Duke remains undefeated and has a 1-game lead over Louisville and Florida State. That ends the discussion of teams that feel comfortable about their NCAA tournament prospects. Everybody else - yikes. It's been a long time since the conference was this full of mediocre teams and this thin at the top. Continuing the "it's been a weird season" vibe, Clemson pulled off something it never did before, and Virginia gave up more points in a 5-minute overtime than in a 20-minute half to Syracuse over the weekend. One can only wonder what this week has in store.

Monday is dark - all eyes on New Orleans

Tuesday
    [86]Clemson (2-3) (+12) hosts [1]Duke (5-0) (7:00, ESPN)
    [75]Pittsburgh (2-3) (+4) hosts [9]Louisville (4-1) (7:00, ACCN)
    [100]Wake Forest (1-4) (+1) hosts [57]Virginia Tech (3-2) (9:00, ACCN)

Wednesday
    [61]Syracuse (2-3) (-11) hosts [159]Boston College (3-2) (6:30, ACCN)
    [14]Florida State (4-1) (-8) hosts [42]Virginia (3-2) (7:00, ESPN2)
    [51]NC State (2-3) (-7) hosts [88]Miami (2-3) (7:00, ACCNX)
    [81]Georgia Tech (3-3) (-2) hosts [63]Notre Dame (1-4) (8:30, ACCN)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
    [75]Pittsburgh (2-3) (-4) hosts [83]North Carolina (1-4) (12:00, TBD)
    [57]Virginia Tech (3-2) (-4) hosts [61]Syracuse (2-3) (12:00, ACCNX)
    [88]Miami (2-3) (+5) hosts [14]Florida State (4-1) (1:00, ACCN)
    [51]NC State (2-3) (-7) hosts [86]Clemson (2-3) (2:00, ACCNX)
    [1]Duke (5-0) (-9) hosts [9]Louisville (4-1) (6:00, ESPN)
    [81]Georgia Tech (3-3) (-1) hosts [42]Virginia (3-2) (8:00, ACCN)

Sunday
    [100]Wake Forest (1-4) (-8) hosts [159]Boston College (3-2) (6:00, ACCN)

ACC Non-Conference: 119-41
    ACC vs. Power 5: 23-26

Efficiency Margin in Conference Play:
    Duke - +35.7
    Florida State - +15.6
    Louisville - +11.2
    Virginia - +10.8
    Syracuse - +6.8
    NC State - -3.3
    Virginia Tech - -4.5
    Clemson - -4.8
    Georgia Tech - -5.0
    Notre Dame - -5.5
    Pittsburgh - -6.2
    North Carolina - -6.3
    Boston College - -12.3
    Miami - -14.0
    Wake Forest - -14.9
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

1. Go Devils!!

2. "Sweet Caroline
    (Let's Go Pitt)
    Good times never seemed so good
    (Go Pitt Go Pitt Go Pitt)
    I've been inclined
    (Let's Go Pitt)..."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Thanks. Here are the current standings, per the ACC:

Code:
    Duke 		5-0 	15-1	W9
    Florida State 	4-1 	14-2	W7
    Louisville 	4-1 	13-3	W2
    Virginia Tech 	3-2 	12-4	W2
    Virginia 	3-2 	11-4	L2
    Boston College 	3-2 	 9-7	L1
    Georgia Tech 	3-3 	 8-8	W1
    NC State 	2-3 	11-5	L1
    Pitt 		2-3 	11-5	L1
    Miami 		2-3 	10-5	W1
    Syracuse 	2-3 	 9-7	W1
    Clemson 	2-3 	 8-7	W2
    Notre Dame 	1-4 	10-6	L2
    Wake Forest 	1-4 	 8-7	L2
    North Carolina 	1-4 	 8-8 	L3
    It needed to be put out there.

-jk

I’m very curious how both UVA games go this week. FSU should really win at home fairly comfortably if it is truly elite. Then we will see how legitimate Ga Tech’s claim is to be a top ACC squad. UVA on the other hand needs to win at least one- especially against FSU - to start building an NCAA resume.

I can see unc has the midweek off...probably a time to focus on academics.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's gut-check time for the heels. I would not be surprised to see a players-only meeting called. Someone on that team has to take control and show some leadership.

@ Pitt Saturday is as close to a must-win for them as you can get mid-season. Especially since their game after that is @ VT, which I assume draws a similar atmosphere as when we come to town up there. They can't afford a 6-game slide.

{go Pitt}

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It's gut-check time for the heels. I would not be surprised to see a players-only meeting called. Someone on that team has to take control and show some leadership.

@ Pitt Saturday is as close to a must-win for them as you can get mid-season. Especially since their game after that is @ VT, which I assume draws a similar atmosphere as when we come to town up there. They can't afford a 6-game slide.

{go Pitt}
    I just hope the underside of the team bus was cleaned off enough to make both trips

{go Pitt}
    Let me check my spreadsheet. Well, it looks like they CAN afford a 6-game slide. In fact, a 15-game slide is very affordable for the low, low price of 9F.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Let me check my spreadsheet. Well, it looks like they CAN afford a 6-game slide. In fact, a 15-game slide is very affordable for the low, low price of 9F.
    Haha indeed. I'm still holding out hope for 8-24.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Haha indeed. I'm still holding out hope for 8-24.
    And Roy retires still tied with Deano. That's the dream.

If State wants a post-season, we need a sweep against two mediocre teams this week.

I don't know WTH is going on with CJ Bryce, but we are clearly struggling without our most productive player. Official word was concussion suffered in practice, but there have been rumblings that something else is going on. No idea what.

{go Pitt}
    @Pitt is unequivocally a must-win for them. They can't go 8-9 and 1-5 in conference and have any realistic shot of making the NCAAT. They would have to finish something like 12-2 and then probably still get a win or two in the ACCT. The probability of that happening would have to be essentially zero given what we've seen to this point.

Even if they beat Pitt, they may still have to go 12-2 after that! But 11-3 at least feels directionally more attainable, if still functionally 0%.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Florida State is ranked #10 in the nation and are 14-2. I haven’t been following them very closely. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether they are as good as that ranking and record might indicate?
    Yes, that is the proper area where FSU should be ranked, and perhaps they have the upside to be even higher. They are very athletic and very long at the guard and wing spots, and they combine that with a decent amount of shooting skill (e.g. 75.9% as a team from the FT line).

Keep in mind that FSU was 4-seed / Sweet 16 team last season, they were an Elite 8 team two seasons ago. Their program has seemingly leveled up recently to become very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    @Pitt is unequivocally a must-win for them. They can't go 8-9 and 1-5 in conference and have any realistic shot of making the NCAAT. They would have to finish something like 12-2 and then probably still get a win or two in the ACCT. The probability of that happening would have to be essentially zero given what we've seen to this point.

Even if they beat Pitt, they may still have to go 12-2 after that! But 11-3 at least feels directionally more attainable, if still functionally 0%.

- Chillin
    I think there are two key questions yet to be answered on this:

1. Does Anthony play again this year?

2. If he does, and if they start winning again, do the powers that be discount the cheaters' losses during Anthony's absence and sneak them into the field?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

- Chillin
    Don't forget, Carolina is in the midst of what was supposed to be the really easy part of their schedule right now. They still have games @NC State, @FSU, @Lou, and 2 with Duke on their schedule. According to TRank, they have the following odds to win each of those games:

@NC State - 21%
    @FSU - 11%
    Duke - 11%
    @Lou - 7%
    @Duke - 4%

-Jason "Carolina could play really well the rest of the season, much better than they have so far, and still lose 13+ games" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

2. If he does, and if they start winning again, do the powers that be discount the cheaters' losses during Anthony's absence and sneak them into the field?
    I suspect/trust that the more they lose and the more Ol' Roy swoons and moans, the less apt Anthony is to play again...so they need to keep the ball rolling...

I take the point, but I don't think it matters much honestly. It's not like they looked dominant with him. If UNC loses 12 games and Anthony is back, and they are playing reasonably well, then yeah they will probably get in. But if UNC loses 13 or 14 games? I dunno. They've got at least 16 games left. Currently 8-8.

I don't think they'll go 16-16. But I also don't think they'll go 20-12.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Doubt it. ol' roy is so mad, he has confined them to campus.

ACC commish will petition NCAA for special placement in tourney for 16-16 Cheats

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ACC commish will petition NCAA for special placement in tourney for 16-16 Cheats
    And claim whatever their final record is to be a "typo."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.