Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The perimeter traveling call. For example, when a player pump fakes and then takes a step before dribbling the ball. Have never understood the inconsistency with that call but it seems like it's called most often on a team that has the momentum going against them.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    The perimeter traveling call. For example, when a player pump fakes and then takes a step before dribbling the ball. Have never understood the inconsistency with that call but it seems like it's called most often on a team that has the momentum going against them.
    I heard Mike Golic once say that every single play in the NFL includes a hold, and if you watched each play in slow-motion, with the benefit of replay, you could call holding on pretty much every play.

I think the same could probably be said of basketball with travelling. Maybe not quite as egregious as holding in football, but there's no doubt that it happens a lot, though I think it most commonly happens in low-pressure situations where it isn't happening in such a way that the offense gains an advantage, or as a result of defensive pressure (for example, a point guard walking the ball up to half court).

The correct answer to this question is all fouls called in a game in which Jay Bilas is an announcer.

If you listen to him, nearly every call or (non-call) made by an official is incorrect. Frequently due to inconsistent interpretation of the rules
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    The correct answer to this question is all fouls called in a game in which Jay Bilas is an announcer.

If you listen to him, nearly every call or (non-call) made by an official is incorrect. Frequently due to inconsistent interpretation of the rules
    You beat me to it. The man has a ton of knowledge about the game, yet feels compelled to play sideline ref each and every game. Can't believe someone at ESPN hasn't nudged him to change...listened to only about five minutes of the unc-State game, he was a broken record on fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    What do you think are the most inconsistently called [frustrating, violence (remotes hurled at TVs, etc.) inducing] fouls in college basketball?

I could have chosen "most difficult" foul calls, but some might say that certain calls are not that difficult to make -- they just aren't called consistently. Balls and strikes in baseball might come to mind.

I'm interested in why you think the calls are made inconsistently. Perhaps it is the inherent difficulty, perhaps rule ambiguity, perhaps refs' habits, perhaps a tendency by the refs to make the safe, conventional call.

Getting the conversation started, my vote for one of the most inconsistently made calls is that made against post defenders when they are called for blocking after appearing to stand still, perfectly straight, arms and hands held high. Bilas almost always finds some minute, aesthetic defect in the statuary pose of such a defender. I'm dubious.

I'm interested to hear what y'all think.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    You beat me to it. The man has a ton of knowledge about the game, yet feels compelled to play sideline ref each and every game. Can't believe someone at ESPN hasn't nudged him to change...listened to only about five minutes of the unc-State game, he was a broken record on fouls.
    But he was right about the call where the cheats were awarded 3 free throws but the shooter didn’t even begin his shooting moron until the foul occurred.

In every game that Bilas does, after about 3 or 4 minutes into the game, I have to turn the sound down because he goes on and on about every call or non call. He just can't help himself. I wonder if there's a meeting similar to AA that Jay can attend to help him over this? I'm kidding of course, but I agree he has a wonderful knowledge of the game and could be a joy to listen to. I could even put up with the Anti-Duke references. The only thing worse than listening to Jay go on and on about the refs would be for Jay to teamed up with Bill Walton, bless his heart.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    But he was right about the call where the cheats were awarded 3 free throws but the shooter didn’t even begin his shooting moron until the foul occurred.
    did you just call Jay a moron.
    GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    did you just call Jay a moron.
    GoDuke!
    I thought he called the cheat player a moron. 9F.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjswift View Post
    I agree with a lot of what was already posted, but a couple that irk me that I didn't see mentioned include:

• No-calls on final plays of a game. I understand that refs are swallowing their whistles in those game-ending attempts at a shot or in the carnage of trying to grab a loose ball on the final rebound, but calling the game the same way in the last 5 seconds as it has been called all game is important. This is probably my most frustrating one. I hate seeing a losing team get absolutely hammered trying to make a game-winning/tying shot and there be no foul. Don't change the application of the rules just because the game is on the line. I've never seen a foul called when a shooter leans in/initiates contact on a 3-pointer in an end-game situation, but I see it called with great regularity in-game. Use the monitor if you need to, wave off the foul and end the game if you need to (if the replay justifies it), but don't just swallow your whistle.
    I take it you didn't watch the UVa game against Auburn in the NCAA tournament last season?

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    And at the same time, the Harden-esque jab and step-back is never called.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I take it you didn't watch the UVa game against Auburn in the NCAA tournament last season?
    The thread title was "inconsistently" called fouls. I applauded that ref at the time, despite the disruption to the flow of the game.

Ironically, that situation might have created the only time I've agreed with Bruce Pearl: "My advice ... if that's a foul, call it," Pearl said. "Call it at the beginning of the game, call it in the middle of the game, call it at the end of the game. Don't call it any more or less at any other time during the game." But I'm taking that out of context to back up my opinion, not really in agreement with the spirit of his quote...

Review

I thought about this thread during the game last night when the officials spent 5? minutes reviewing a play that was crystal clear. I get that they are checking clock as well. The review of the play taking so long, though not a foul, is one thing I am sick of. The play called on the court holds up unless there is substantial evidence to overturn. How about if you can't find that evidence in one minute. Stop & go with the call on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I thought about this thread during the game last night when the officials spent 5? minutes reviewing a play that was crystal clear. I get that they are checking clock as well. The review of the play taking so long, though not a foul, is one thing I am sick of. The play called on the court holds up unless there is substantial evidence to overturn. How about if you can't find that evidence in one minute. Stop & go with the call on the floor.
    Hey, at least it only took them a minute or two to review the out of bounds call with 10 sec left in the game. Vitally important that they get that one right. Otherwise Pitt they might have robbed Pitt the opportunity to set up the 12 point play they needed to tie the game.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    which is ironic as it took them forever to overturn a call that was clearly wrong....the kind of call replay is SUPPOSED to fix quickly.
    1200. DDMF.

Coaches coming out of the coaching box

I love the fact that all leagues lie profusely (ACC, MLB, NFL, everyone) when noting that "the average review takes 42 seconds" or whatever bogus "stat" they cite. I've napped thru some of them and missed nothing.

I've long had a theory, only partly facetious, that the vast majority of traveling calls aren't based on number of steps, but the player in question looking awkward when he moves.

I love the fact that all leagues lie profusely (ACC, MLB, NFL, everyone) when noting that "the average review takes 42 seconds" or whatever bogus "stat" they cite. I've napped thru some of them and missed nothing.
    the fact that you sleep through some of them indicates there is a long tail, and is not mutually exclusive with the average (which is likely the median) being shorter.
    1200. DDMF.