The walk-ons and others

I wanted to give some credit to walk-ons for all that they do to prepared the team to play. JRob is a perfect example of a guy that loves Duke and has earned his way in becoming a leader on the team. He may not see minutes in games, but his value in practice session are invaluable to the development of other players such as Hurt and mentoring younger players.

I heard a cool story about JRob and his impact on another walk-on, Keenan Worthington. It was said that JRob is always in his ear about using his red-shirt year to become a better overall player; not only on the court, but also in the weight room and how his, JRob's, career at Duke has evolved. I thought it was great to hear such a mature outlook on a college career that will go highly unnoticed on the court with all of his fame coming from his family name.

I was fortunate enough to purchase 2 of the GA tickets that were released to the public for the Pitt game. During the 2nd half warm-ups, J-Rob walked over to Jack White, who was shooting right in front of us, and started talking and motioning to different areas on the court. My assumption was that J-Rob saw something during the 1st half and wanted to relay some helpful information to Jack. J-Rob had also been speaking with Javin before that as well and looked to be sharing the same type of info. Amazed at how engaged he is, even knowing he likely wouldn't play, and his willingness to help his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon View Post
    I was fortunate enough to purchase 2 of the GA tickets that were released to the public for the Pitt game. During the 2nd half warm-ups, J-Rob walked over to Jack White, who was shooting right in front of us, and started talking and motioning to different areas on the court. My assumption was that J-Rob saw something during the 1st half and wanted to relay some helpful information to Jack. J-Rob had also been speaking with Javin before that as well and looked to be sharing the same type of info. Amazed at how engaged he is, even knowing he likely wouldn't play, and his willingness to help his teammates.
    Yes, agreed, but he is, along with Jack, Javin, and Tre, a team captain, so I would expect no less. A well-deserved honor for someone who seems to be a great teammate and to have a solid understanding of basketball.

Coach J-Rob?

Yes, there is so much more to feeling like you are part of the team than just playing time. In this day and age with players transferring from college to college is business-like for personal reasons, and I am not necessarily knocking players who do transfer. But there are those outside influences, a perfect example is the kid who just left Kentucky. It is great to see when a young man student athlete finds a balance in the pride of the college they committed to attend and their positivity both on and off the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    I wanted to give some credit to walk-ons for all that they do to prepared the team to play. JRob is a perfect example of a guy that loves Duke and has earned his way in becoming a leader on the team. He may not see minutes in games, but his value in practice session are invaluable to the development of other players such as Hurt and mentoring younger players.

I heard a cool story about JRob and his impact on another walk-on, Keenan Worthington. It was said that JRob is always in his ear about using his red-shirt year to become a better overall player; not only on the court, but also in the weight room and how his, JRob's, career at Duke has evolved. I thought it was great to hear such a mature outlook on a college career that will go highly unnoticed on the court with all of his fame coming from his family name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    Yes, there is so much more to feeling like you are part of the team than just playing time. In this day and age with players transferring from college to college is business-like for personal reasons, and I am not necessarily knocking players who do transfer. But there are those outside influences, a perfect example is the kid who just left Kentucky. It is great to see when a young man student athlete finds a balance in the pride of the college they committed to attend and their positivity both on and off the court.
    Two excellent posts.

At the end of his career, JRob will be able to say that he has a degree from Duke; that he played for Coach K and played in Cameron; and that he was on the 2020 National Championship team. Pretty damn sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Two excellent posts.

At the end of his career, JRob will be able to say that he has a degree from Duke; that he played for Coach K and played in Cameron; and that he was on the 2020 National Championship team. Pretty damn sporty.
    Well, he already has one Duke degree, a B.A. in psychology He's working on an MBA in management studies at Fuqua.