Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 171
  1. #21
    Iíll leave the stats to Kedsy and others.

    This is a difficult game because its unpredictable.
    My eye test watching Clemson play UNC was that Clemson was bad...until they werenít. I lost count of how many blown layups Clemson players had, particularly in the first ten minutes of the first half.

    There was also a comment upthread about Clemson being a poor 3 point shooting team. That may also be true, and yet they hit them when they needed them in Chapel Hill.

    Iím not crying chicken little. I am hopeful that the coaching staff keeps the team focused and ready to play their game. ACC road games are never gimmes.
       

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Littlejohn is a very intense place. I expect it to be rocking, especially if Clemson beats LSU tonight.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’ll leave the stats to Kedsy and others.

    This is a difficult game because its unpredictable.
    My eye test watching Clemson play UNC was that Clemson was bad...until they weren’t. I lost count of how many blown layups Clemson players had, particularly in the first ten minutes of the first half.

    There was also a comment upthread about Clemson being a poor 3 point shooting team. That may also be true, and yet they hit them when they needed them in Chapel Hill.

    I’m not crying chicken little. I am hopeful that the coaching staff keeps the team focused and ready to play their game. ACC road games are never gimmes.
    I don't know that the range of outcomes for this game is all that different, i.e. that this game is more unpredictable than usual. (And I know all about prediction, as I am crushing the Degenerates league, #1 against the spread, #1 in over/under :-). And if I'm right about Clemson being distracted, that narrows the range of outcomes, not widens it. (And if I'm wrong, then it's just a regular ACC road game).

    Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    I hope we can contain Simms and shut him down some. I don't think the Tigers really have any other dynamic player who could carry them if Simms is slowed down. Now that they have ended the streak against the holes,let's give them a great big welcome back to the real world. Go Devils!
    "Dynamic" is a bit strong for Simms, but he's a good player and they do have other good players as well. I could certainly see Tevin Mack, who's a 5th-year senior, muscling Matthew out of the way on drives to the basket; generally, I actually like Matthew defending driving guards better (where physical strength can be less a factor) than muscular face-up 4s like Mack.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    It does sound like Jack and Javin might be better matchups on Simms, chasing him out to the 3 point line. Would love to see us establish Vernon early and pick up some fouls. If they are scouting us off the Wake tape, maybe they’ll fall into the trap of trying to guard big Vern one on one.
    Yeah, although I would rank Simms' 3-pt ability as my second-biggest concern. For a big, he's good driving the ball to the basket (playing off his threat as a 3-pt shooter), and I would be worried that he can drive into Vernon and pick up fouls on him.

    How Duke's big men can handle drives from Simms and Mack will be a key to the game, imo. Because while Clemson's guards are going to be pretty good in a year or two, I don't think they're ready to do much against Tre, JGold, Cassius, et al this season. (John Newman might pop as an athletic defender in this game, though. Duke actually had recruiting interest in Newman for like two weeks, although I don't think an offer was ever made.)

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Iíll leave the stats to Kedsy and others.

    This is a difficult game because its unpredictable.
    My eye test watching Clemson play UNC was that Clemson was bad...until they werenít. I lost count of how many blown layups Clemson players had, particularly in the first ten minutes of the first half.

    There was also a comment upthread about Clemson being a poor 3 point shooting team. That may also be true, and yet they hit them when they needed them in Chapel Hill.

    Iím not crying chicken little. I am hopeful that the coaching staff keeps the team focused and ready to play their game. ACC road games are never gimmes.
    Clemson is a pretty mediocre 3-point shooting team. Their performance from distance against UNC was ok, hitting 12 of 31 attempts (38.7%). It was their 2nd best 3-point shooting performance on the season. UNC is in the lower tier of teams based on 3-point defense, allowing opponents to hit 34.3% of their attempts, 237th best in the nation. Duke, by comparison, is one of the better 3-point percentage defenses, allowing teams to hit just 29.4% of their attempts (43rd best in the nation).

    In a single game, something wacky could happen. However, it is unlikely that Clemson is going to defeat Duke from beyond the arc.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So, I have to go from Clemson being my hero to pulling against them in the span of just a few days?

    “Tough crowd.”
    This is actually the third time this season that Duke has played a team immediately after that team has defeated UNC in Chapel Hill.

    Wofford, GaTech, and now Clemson.

    Hopefully watching Duke defeat those teams (in the case of Wofford, easily) that just beat them adds some psychic pain to UNC fans.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    As long as the officiating isnít as terrible as the Ga Tech game, it should be a comfortable win. If Clemson is allowed to go over the back and campout in the lane, then it might get tight...
       

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    northern Virginia
    Since this thread needs to be on the front page, and since there's no sports on TV tonight -

    Any news on AOC's hip/back after his hard fall Saturday?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Since this thread needs to be on the front page, and since there's no sports on TV tonight -

    Any news on AOC's hip/back after his hard fall Saturday?
    He re-entered the game, playing 17 minutes, only scored 1 point but had 4 boards and 2 steals:

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401168357

    No reports of him wearing a boot...

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    i know clemson's bb team is terrible, but tomorrow night, they're going to be gunning for an upset....losing the title tonight will motivate their team AND fans to take it out on duke....


    i don't like it...
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i know clemson's bb team is terrible, but tomorrow night, they're going to be gunning for an upset...losing the title tonight will motivate their team AND fans to take it out on duke...


    i don't like it...
    I don't know that there was a great option here. Picture Dabo leading the team onto the court before the game with the national championship trophy...the roof would have come off...

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    I don't know that there was a great option here. Picture Dabo leading the team onto the court before the game with the national championship trophy...the roof would have come off...
    Yeah, if there is any correlation between the two outcomes I donít see how the football loss positively affects their basketball team/fans.
       

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i know clemson's bb team is terrible, but tomorrow night, they're going to be gunning for an upset...losing the title tonight will motivate their team AND fans to take it out on duke...

    i don't like it...
    Nah, will be a dead arena I believe....compared to what it might have been.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Yeah, if there is any correlation between the two outcomes I donít see how the football loss positively affects their basketball team/fans.
    I watched the gamefrom the comfort of my home last night and got to bed at 12:30. I imagine people at the Clemson campus would have watched in groups, many in bars, and would have got to bed in the wee hours. If anything, the fans will be tired and bummed out. Even some of the players may have watched the game and gotten little sleep.

  14. #34
    If we play our game at a top level, the number of hungover fans and/or opposing players becomes quickly irrelevant. Let's go play Duke basketball.
       

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    My worry is will Vernon be Vernon tonight? He's had a couple of sub par games in a row. If he dominates, we should be fine..

  16. #36
    Tough, loud arena. Duke is -10 right now. It is rarely easy on the road in the ACC, although Duke made it look that way at Miami.
       

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    My worry is will Vernon be Vernon tonight? He's had a couple of sub par games in a row. If he dominates, we should be fine..
    Yeah, Vernon is adjusting to extra defensive attention and has some issues scoring against good, big defenders (Banks from Ga Tech for example).

    He can choose his shot selection more carefully and also keep the ball moving if covered up. The good news is -- he has shown good passing ability, and our outside shooters are performing well lately.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, Vernon is adjusting to extra defensive attention and has some issues scoring against good, big defenders (Banks from Ga Tech for example).

    He can choose his shot selection more carefully and also keep the ball moving if covered up. The good news is -- he has shown good passing ability, and our outside shooters are performing well lately.
    Outside of the Georgia Tech game, Carey is not having any trouble scoring from the field. He's taking fewer shots as more teams are doubling him in the post. He did struggle from the field, shooting just 6-14 (42.9%) from the floor against James Banks III and Georgia Tech. That was his second worst shooting performance on the season (3-8 against Kansas). Where Carey has struggled a little is at the free throw line. On the other hand, Carey's assist totals have gone up of late. He's gotten 8 of his 14 assists on the season in the last 5 games while maintaining roughly the same rate of turnovers. He's getting touches but passing out of the double team more often and finding open shooters every now and then. it would be nice to see him pour in another 20-10 game, though, to keep the defenses honest.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    After last night's loss it's going to interesting to see if Clemson fans have anything left for basketball tonight. I suspect there may be moments when the crowd gets loud but I'm not expecting much. Most of the students probably got to sleep after 1am, had to get up this morning, figure out where they are and what they drank, get home, shower and dress (poorly), go to class, take a nap...then get to a basketball game and pretend to care after losing the Natty....

    Looking at Clemson's schedule, they have some wins, including one against NCSU but essentially they haven't beat anyone worth a <redacted>

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Outside of the Georgia Tech game, Carey is not having any trouble scoring from the field. He's taking fewer shots as more teams are doubling him in the post. He did struggle from the field, shooting just 6-14 (42.9%) from the floor against James Banks III and Georgia Tech. That was his second worst shooting performance on the season (3-8 against Kansas). Where Carey has struggled a little is at the free throw line. On the other hand, Carey's assist totals have gone up of late. He's gotten 8 of his 14 assists on the season in the last 5 games while maintaining roughly the same rate of turnovers. He's getting touches but passing out of the double team more often and finding open shooters every now and then. it would be nice to see him pour in another 20-10 game, though, to keep the defenses honest.
    I agree with DBA. Vernon is not forcing shots when double or tripled teamed. He seems to be content on passing the ball to open shooters and I love that. As long as our perimeter players keep knocking down the three pointer, Duke will be fine. Well , as long as we continue to play good defense. This teams calling card is defense but it's offense is a close 2nd. However, Vernon needs to shoot free throws better because he's going to get fouled a lot and if teams sense he can't make the freebees, he'll get fouled even more.

    GoDuke!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 01-05-2019, 09:57 PM
  2. Replies: 119
    Last Post: 02-18-2018, 03:07 PM
  3. MBB: Duke vs. Clemson (3/8, 2 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 03-08-2017, 04:43 PM
  4. Replies: 167
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 11:34 PM
  5. MBB: Duke at Clemson - Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •