Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Everything was good but FT shooting

Team looked good except for FT shooting. It will ultimately cost them in the tournament. It is rare when a team can win a title while being a mediocre FT shooting team.

The D was ferocious. Childress came into the game averaging 16 PPG. Left CIS with the goose egg. Tre and JGold ate him alive.

20 assists on 33 made field goals.

Yikes, another 30+ point ACC win.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 68.2 (a little slow but not terrible)
    oRtg: 1.32 (1.34 adjusted; great)
    eFG%: 62.1% (very nice; 5th 60+ eFG in last eight games)
    3pt%: 47.8% (fab; 7th 40+ 3pt% in last nine games (and 8th in last 11))
    2pt%: 56.4% (good)
    %threes: 37.1% (high; but at this success rate, nobody's complaining)
    FT rate: 40.3% (good for 2nd straight game)
    OR%: 41.7% (strong; 5th 38+ OR% performance in six games)
    TO%: 13.2% (outstanding)
    a/to: 2.22:1 (2nd best such ratio of the season)
    %assisted: 60.6%
    fast break pts: 18 (20.0% of points; third straight game with 18+ fb points)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.87 (adjusted dRtg of 0.81 is pretty good)
    eFG%: 45.5% (good)
    3pt%: 30.8% (not terrible)
    2pt%: 45.2% (decent)
    %threes: 23.6% (good; another sub-30 performance in a season so far full of them)
    FT rate: 29.1% (meh)
    DR%: 68.6% (not that good)
    TO%: 24.9% (strong; 5th straight defensive TO% of 20+% (and 6th in seven games))
    a/to: 0.47:1 (really good)
    %assisted: 34.8%
    stl%: 16.1% (strong)
    blk%: 14.5% (19.0% of 2pt shots) (stronger)
    fast break pts: 9 (15.3% of points; would have liked to see better)

So, our offense was outrageous in pretty much every aspect. Our defense was solid all around.

Once again, Comcast and the ACC network kept me from watching the game, but I do know this: the last time a Duke team had more than two (2) 30+ point wins against ACC teams was in 2002. In the last 17 seasons, we've only had as many as two such wins twice (2015 and 2005). And this year's team just got it's third 30+ point ACC win in its 5th ACC game. Pretty amazing.

(FWIW, the record is six, by the 1999 team; no other Coach K team has had more than four 30+ point wins against ACC teams in a season.)

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    20 assists on 33 made field goals.
    That's good, but the percentage (60.6%) is only our third highest of the season (after Michigan State (68.8%) and SF Austin (77.8%)). As can be seen by the fact that our highest percentage was in the only game we've lost so far this season, it's not all that meaningful.

Duke is 5-0 in ACC play for the 14th time in Duke history, the 11th time under Coach K, and the first time since 2008-09.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    Team looked good except for FT shooting. It will ultimately cost them in the tournament. It is rare when a team can win a title while being a mediocre FT shooting team.
    I guess it depends on what you call "rare" and what you call "mediocre." Duke is currently shooting 67.4% from the line, which I would say certainly qualifies as mediocre. That established, five national champions in the past 20 years have shot under 70% for the season on free throws. That's a quarter (25%) of the champs since 2000, and includes Duke's 2001 champs (69.6%) and 2015 champs (69.9%). If you go up to under 71% (which I believe still qualifies as mediocre; if you shoot 25 free throws like we did tonight, 71% would be less than one made free throw per game better than if you shot 67.4% like this year's Duke team so far) then eight national champs in 20 years have been there (40% of champs since 2000), including three of the past seven champions. The worst FT shooting national champion in the past 20 years was the 2004 UConn team, which shot 62.3% from the line for the season and still managed to win it all.

In conclusion, title winners with mediocre free throw shooting are not nearly as "rare" as you think, and none of us have any legitimate idea whether Duke's FT shooting will "ultimately cost them in the tournament," or not.

https://goduke.com/documents/2020/1/..._Box_Score.pdf

What a game by Tre Jones.

In 27 minutes
    23 points on
    10-15 FG including 3-4 from 3-pt
    4 steals
    5 assists
    0 turnovers

And was the primary defender on Wake's leading scorer, Brandon Childress, who had 0 points and 4 turnovers

Does anyone have the link to Coach K's post game press conference? I always love hearing him break down the game.

If you had "Duke will have five players score in double figures, Carey won't be one of them, and three of them will be Goldwire, White, and Baker" on your Bingo card, take a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    Does anyone have the link to Coach K's post game press conference? I always love hearing him break down the game.
    Here is a transcript:

https://goduke.com/documents/2020/1/...h_K_Quotes.pdf
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Beating an ACC opponent by 30 is nothing to scoff at, ever.
    Yeah. Who remembers 82-50?

Who had all 4 freshmen shooting north of 40% from 3 on the season at Jan 12? Congratulations, bingo mega winner.

And Joey, who could be a freshman, makes 5. Hope I didn’t just restart a fight in the Wake thread.

Team is now shooting 36.7% from 3 on the season, more than respectable with the line moving back this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yikes, another 30+ point ACC win.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 68.2 (a little slow but not terrible)
    oRtg: 1.32 (1.34 adjusted; great)
    eFG%: 62.1% (very nice; 5th 60+ eFG in last eight games)
    3pt%: 47.8% (fab; 7th 40+ 3pt% in last nine games (and 8th in last 11))
    2pt%: 56.4% (good)
    %threes: 37.1% (high; but at this success rate, nobody's complaining)
    FT rate: 40.3% (good for 2nd straight game)
    OR%: 41.7% (strong; 5th 38+ OR% performance in six games)
    TO%: 13.2% (outstanding)
    a/to: 2.22:1 (2nd best such ratio of the season)
    %assisted: 60.6%
    fast break pts: 18 (20.0% of points; third straight game with 18+ fb points)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.87 (adjusted dRtg of 0.81 is pretty good)
    eFG%: 45.5% (good)
    3pt%: 30.8% (not terrible)
    2pt%: 45.2% (decent)
    %threes: 23.6% (good; another sub-30 performance in a season so far full of them)
    FT rate: 29.1% (meh)
    DR%: 68.6% (not that good)
    TO%: 24.9% (strong; 5th straight defensive TO% of 20+% (and 6th in seven games))
    a/to: 0.47:1 (really good)
    %assisted: 34.8%
    stl%: 16.1% (strong)
    blk%: 14.5% (19.0% of 2pt shots) (stronger)
    fast break pts: 9 (15.3% of points; would have liked to see better)

So, our offense was outrageous in pretty much every aspect. Our defense was solid all around.

Once again, Comcast and the ACC network kept me from watching the game, but I do know this: the last time a Duke team had more than two (2) 30+ point wins against ACC teams was in 2002. In the last 17 seasons, we've only had as many as two such wins twice (2015 and 2005). And this year's team just got it's third 30+ point ACC win in its 5th ACC game. Pretty amazing.

(FWIW, the record is six, by the 1999 team; no other Coach K team has had more than four 30+ point wins against ACC teams in a season.)
    Those numbers were achieved with a large number of minutes with subs in the game and odd lineups. Great job overall. Wendell will add still more defense when he returns.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Who had all 4 freshmen shooting north of 40% from 3 on the season at Jan 12? Congratulations, bingo mega winner.

And Joey, who could be a freshman, makes 5. Hope I didn’t just restart a fight in the Wake thread.

Team is now shooting 36.7% from 3 on the season, more than respectable with the line moving back this year.
    Got interested and checked. The 36.7% from 3 has us tied for third best in the ACC with Miami. Louisville leads at 37.5%.

Meanwhile we are tied with FSU for first in 2 point percentage at 54.2%. And we are leading the conference in scoring by a wide margin - 83.8 ppg with NCSU in a surprising second place at 78.4 ppg.

That high powered, run-the-daggum-floor offense a few miles down the road? 70.8 ppg. 😂

That high powered, run-the-daggum-floor offense a few miles down the road? 70.8 ppg. 😂
    Don’t forget that is the “least talented” run-the-daggum-floor offense Roy has ever coached. His system is not the problem.

The problem is all those talentless players HE recruited.
    Bob Green

I loved the post with all the recruiting stars next to the Carolina players. Tony Bennett won a national championship with lower ranked recruits.

But we need to have our fun now because they have a very good class coming in where the center we wanted, Kessler, is the second best center in their class. They will be right back in the mix next year.

I loved the post with all the recruiting stars next to the Carolina players. Tony Bennett won a national championship with lower ranked recruits.

But we need to have our fun now because they have a very good class coming in where the center we wanted, Kessler, is the second best center in their class. They will be right back in the mix next year.
    Maybe, maybe not. Kessler and others may be long term projects in Roy’s system. I’d pick up em top 3 in ACC in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    That's good, but the percentage (60.6%) is only our third highest of the season (after Michigan State (68.8%) and SF Austin (77.8%)). As can be seen by the fact that our highest percentage was in the only game we've lost so far this season, it's not all that meaningful.
    Perhaps I am in error, but I look at that stat as an indication of the team sharing the ball. IMHO, it is an intangible, illustrating a team mentality of “ we don’t who scores as long as Duke scores .”

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Kessler and others may be long term projects in Roy’s system. I’d pick up em top 3 in ACC in 2023.
    They’ve got the third ranked recruiting class in the country with 3 five stars and 2 four stars. Their expectations are high. I’ll just say if you’re right and they aren’t back near the top of the ACC next year, then there will be a lot of fans calling for Roys job.

That’s almost too delicious to think about...