Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: S’up

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I had to come back for this. Looking forward to the pics. (Or not.)
    Jumbo lives!

I was worried you got jumped at the College Park Johnny Rockets and were gone forever!

Damn, no one told me it was reunion weekend!

Been watching the news. So far no update on some streaking disturbance in ch.

Great Thread

This has been one of the coolest threads ever IMHO in the history of DBR. Even my wife has laughed when I shared some of your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post
    I was a student at Clemson ‘88 - ‘91. My best friend went to UNC.
    Clemson was actually good in ‘88. Even better in ‘89-‘90. UNC crushed us in Chapel Hill both years.

In a dejected moment walking out of the Dean Dome I said to my friend, “We’ll never beat you guys here.”
    “Sure you will.”
    “Nope. In fact I’m so sure that I promise if Clemson ever beats UNC in Chapel Hill I’ll hang naked from the sculpture in front of the Planetarium.” (That’s pretty much directly on Franklin Street.)

Thus was born “The Promise”.

I found DBR in 1998 shortly after finding the internet. (I would have been an AOL customer in ‘98, how about you?). I was welcomed by posters like Ozzie, Jason Evans, Stray Gator, Wheat...and many, many others I can’t recall but am sure I would remember.

For nearly 10 years I posted pretty regularly on DBR. If not regularly at least as often as Duke played Clemson or, like clockwork, on the day of the Clemson @ UNC game.

By 2008 life had changed (and my interest in Clemson basketball had waned some). But I’ll always owe my internet Coming Of Age to DBR. I learned what an “llol” was. And how to make a smiley-face with a : + ). And all that kind of stuff. DBR was good family to me. I’ll always have a soft spot for you guys.
    Welcome back my friend. This is truly the best of times... Klem and Jumbo in the same thread. Forgive me while I wipe a little tear from my eye.

This is why the DBR is such a special place. This is what it means to be a community, not just a chat room.

I’m in for $50 of the bail fund... and if it takes a few weeks for the naked deed to happen... well, it took a good long wait for the victory to happen too and I don’t think any of us are complaining about that.

Jason “I’m not crying, you’re crying “ Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

A permanent return would be very welcomed. We miss you!
    Bob Green

I am honored to now be in on The Promise and will pledge $50 to the fund.

Klem, social media was not a thing when you made your pledge, so if you are worried about your man parts going viral, I think it’s perfectly fine to pay it off in a speedo with a giant orange tiger paw painted on your torso.

I’d suggest you or your friend tip off TDTH for a photo opp so you can torture the entire community with your story. A Promise Made, A Promise Kept.

Good luck tomorrow night.

Clemson Wins!!!

Welcome back Klemnop and congratulations!!! And to all DBR posters, What a place this is!

Concur - Way Cool Thread

Thank you Klemnop! (and others).

Allow me a quick recap of last evening’s merriment:

I attempted to muster interest in this UNC/Clemson game/narrative with wife and son (currently a Jr at VaTech). My history lessons were useful, counterproductive was a 10-4 start building to a 13-point UNC margin. But it was your story, Klemnop, that sold the deal.

“But do you know Klemnop?” Nope. “Does he know you?” Nope. Fascination set in – and UNC cleaned it all up by starting to really suck. (OK, Clemson gets some credit for their comeback, too).

“Do you think he’ll do it?”

“Doubtful”, I said. I estimated we hadn’t heard from Klemnop in about 5 years and we’d allow you some reconsideration of what may have been a youthful boast. However, since legends are worth sustaining – I proposed that I could streak down Franklin St. Who would know the difference – nobody knows Klemnop, and I always get away with my misdeeds.

Fortunately, you saved me with an eloquent, S’up?

I read my wife/son post #37 from this thread.

Wife: “You just choked up!”

Right she was.

Holy cow, Clemson beats unc on the hump, klemnop and jumbo both make an appearance on DBR, all on the same night!!! I need to go buy a lottery ticker stat. Seriously though, congrats klemnop, it’s been a while but I’ve been rooting for your “streak” for years and thought of you as soon as I saw the score. Jumbo, man how long has it been since you were doing your phase posts, 10-15 years? Would love to have you back around. I always appreciated your perspective. Count me in for some bail money if the police don’t have a sense of humor.

I would bet that a one block sprint down Franklin St. at 4 a.m. or so could be accomplished with nary a blue light in sight. Go for it. Live the dream!

Never thought this day would come. AMA.
    So glad you came back to visit on this magnificent day!

It is lots of fun to read through this thread and recall the history behind our shared tales. Perhaps we can add another thread to the top of dbr which are stories from our past. Could post 37 be the first addition to the dbr history thread?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Damn, no one told me it was reunion weekend!
    Just a quick check, but it looks like Jumbo and BluBones each posted for the first time since 2015.

Harbinger of another national championship?
    Last edited by roywhite; 01-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.

This thread demands an appearance...
    Congrats Klemnop on the big win, your boys executed and made the big shots down the stretch, they deserved it.
    And count me in for $100 on the bail, the Duke crowd seems a little tight with the monies ...because I’d like to read about it in the N&O for a good laugh.

Good luck this season to all.
    Last edited by -jk; 01-12-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: keepin' the focus on the game

Klem, like the rest of the old crew, I had to pop back in to offer congratulations! Hope you're still grinning from ear to ear. My wife thought I'd had a stroke when I saw the score.

So fun to see all the names show up again...

Never thought this day would come. AMA.

I don't know whether the Clemson win over UNC in Chapel Hill has opened a worm hole, or cast us into a time warp, or transported us into some sector of the Twilight Zone; but the sudden reappearance here of all these long-missing friends of the DBR is perfectly delightful. To each of them I would say: Our community has been diminished by your absence, and as you can see, we enthusiastically welcome your return -- even if only to celebrate with fellow fans old and new this rare alignment of the college basketball planets. Please visit more often!

A great victory for Clemson! Didn’t think I’d live long enough to see it. I was a student at Duke ‘58-‘62, UVA Law ‘69. Watched Art Heyman play JV ball at Cameron. Attended every JV and varsity home game during my 4 years. Saw the “fight game” with the Doug Moe/York Larese UNC team. Went to 3 Final Fours, the most memorable being the painful loss to UConn in 1999. Unfortunately attended this year’s SFA loss. Been a DBR lurker forever but never posted. Still check DBR multiple times daily. I’ve missed reading posts by Jumbo and Klemnop. I hope they are back to stay. DBR is the best fan board by far. Congratulations to Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I don't know whether the Clemson win over UNC in Chapel Hill has opened a worm hole, or cast us into a time warp, or transported us into some sector of the Twilight Zone; but the sudden reappearance here of all these long-missing friends of the DBR is perfectly delightful. To each of them I would say: Our community has been diminished by your absence, and as you can see, we enthusiastically welcome your return -- even if only to celebrate with fellow fans old and new this rare alignment of the college basketball planets. Please visit more often!
    Maybe it's time to use this to launch some "The Brotherhood DBR" marketing!

Also ironic that this is taking place the same day as Duke's The Brotherhood throwback uniforms!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    There are cyber relationship in this thread that are older than pretty much every player on the current Duke team! What a delightful blast from the past.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?