Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: S’up

A Happy Klemnop Today

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I don't know whether the Clemson win over UNC in Chapel Hill has opened a worm hole, or cast us into a time warp, or transported us into some sector of the Twilight Zone; but the sudden reappearance here of all these long-missing friends of the DBR is perfectly delightful. To each of them I would say: Our community has been diminished by your absence, and as you can see, we enthusiastically welcome your return -- even if only to celebrate with fellow fans old and new this rare alignment of the college basketball planets. Please visit more often!
    Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and thoughts. The last 18 hours have been surreal.

I’ll celebrate my 50th birthday later this year. The last two years I have seen so much change in my life. Some big, like seeing my last child out of the house and off to college (she’s a Reedie in Portland, OR) and seeing my first born get married. My wife and I left our home of 25 years in Columbia and moved to our “next phase” place on Hilton Head. Big, big changes.

Some are smaller but no less part of the narrative of who I am. I had a 2003 Toyota minivan that I had promised to keep “as long as it will run” or until the kids were out. I put 450k miles on that van. It became part of who I was. It was so awful...and yet it was immediately recognizable as me. I went from resentment of it (in the early days) to really embracing it and loving it at the end. I drive a lot for work. I had a lot of memories in that van. I cried like a baby the day I gave it away. I was happy to have a new (to me) truck...but I grieved the loss of that van. I grieved losing a part of my narrative. Of who I was. Who I had been.

Deep down I knew this day would come. At 20 I didn’t have the perspective to know that life has its way. Nothing is “forever”. Everything changes. With each passing year I actually became more sure that one day Clemson would beat UNC in Chapel Hill. Because “life”.

Sadly my interest in Clemson basketball has also changed. Partly that’s just because college basketball in general has become less interesting to me. I miss the days of guys going to school for four years, or at least three. And knowing not only all of the players on your team but also all of the players on the other league school teams. Back in 1991 I could easily name the starting five for every ACC team. I knew Walt Williams, John Crotty, Fire and Ice, Lethal Weapon Three...everyone. I had a relationship to the whole fabric of ACC basketball, especially Clemson.

Times have changed. In Clemson’s Sweet 16 season a couple of years ago 4 of the 5 main contributors were transfers. Even though I rooted for them I didn’t feel like I knew them. They weren’t mine. And trying to keep up with the rosters of other ACC teams - and having so many more ACC teams - I found I had lost my connection.

As always, I was texting my UNC friend through the entirety of yesterday’s game. He has remained my best friend through these 30+ years. And ACC basketball is still near the root of our friendship. One of the first texts was, “I’m not sure if I’m more surprised that I don’t know any of the UNC players or that I don’t know any of the Clemson players.” I Have some sadness about that.

I still understood the jersey’s, though. And I still recognized the UNC fight song. And the logo at the center of the court. And Clemson really did beat UNC in Chapel Hill. Regardless what may be happening to UNC this season, that still counts.

And now it’s over. The streak is over. The narrative is ended. There is no more story to tell - other than to enjoy it as we are now as a thing we all shared together for a time.

Many years ago I posted in this very forum that some part of me didn’t want the streak to end. There’s something endearing about “never”, about “0-fer”. 1-59 is just...sad. 0-60 is...epic. Last night we traded Epic for Sad in a way.

I’m rambling. Apologies.

The responses in this thread have been so heartwarming. It’s nice to be remembered. Even after all these years. You guys (and gals) are very much like family. I appreciate you for that.

I do spend time on the Clemson message boards (TigerIllustrated). I don’t post much, I leave that to a younger generation that has a lot more passion. Which is why my first thought after the final buzzer was to get to DBR. My stories aren’t known on my “home” board. (And I am considered a malcontent for being frustrated with the state of our program after 10 years under Brad Brownell.). The Clemson board has no idea about my Promise. And I don’t particularly want them to be part of that story.

It’s your story, DBR. It was our story.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Klemnop; 01-12-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Been watching the news. So far no update on some streaking disturbance in ch.
    Perhaps it's because there's nobody to report it... Perhaps Heels fans are treating this loss as akin to the groundhog seeing its shadow and have gone into hoops hibernation?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Klem, social media was not a thing when you made your pledge, so if you are worried about your man parts going viral, I think it’s perfectly fine to pay it off in a speedo with a giant orange tiger paw painted on your torso.
    Indiegogo, Gofundme, and Venmo were also not a thing... Not only would Klem have no problems posting bail if need be, but he can easily pull off a fully-funded documentary about the proceedings in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Damn, no one told me it was reunion weekend!
    This thread has been reminiscent of the Dead pulling out Unbroken Chain for the first time, or Casey Jones after a decade+, or sandwiching space/drums with a rare full Dark Star...
    Last edited by Papa John; 01-12-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and thoughts. The last 18 hours have been surreal.

I’ll celebrate my 50th birthday later this year. The last two years I have seen so much change in my life. Some big, like seeing my last child out of the house and off to college (she’s a Reedie in Portland, OR) and seeing my first born get married. My wife and I left our home of 25 years in Columbia and moved to our “next phase” place on Hilton Head. Big, big changes.

Some are smaller but no less part of the narrative of who I am. I had a 2003 Toyota minivan that I had promised to keep “as long as it will run” or until the kids were out. I put 450k miles on that van. It became part of who I was. It was so awful...and yet it was immediately recognizable as me. I went from resentment of it (in the early days) to really embracing it and loving it at the end. I drive a lot for work. I had a lot of memories in that van. I cried like a baby the day I gave it away. I was happy to have a new (to me) truck...but I grieved the loss of that van. I grieved losing a part of my narrative. Of who I was. Who I had been.

Deep down I knew this day would come. At 20 I didn’t have the perspective to know that life has its way. Nothing is “forever”. Everything changes. With each passing year I actually became more sure that one day Clemson would beat UNC in Chapel Hill. Because “life”.

Sadly my interest in Clemson basketball has also changed. Partly that’s just because college basketball in general has become less interesting to me. I miss the days of guys going to school for four years, or at least three. And knowing not only all of the players on your team but also all of the players on the other league school teams. Back in 1991 I could easily name the starting five for every ACC team. I knew Walt Williams, John Crotty, Fire and Ice, Lethal Weapon Three...everyone. I had a relationship to the whole fabric of ACC basketball, especially Clemson.

Times have changed. In Clemson’s Sweet 16 season a couple of years ago 4 of the 5 main contributors were transfers. Even though I rooted for them I didn’t feel like I knew them. They weren’t mine. And trying to keep up with the rosters of other ACC teams - and having so many more ACC teams - I found I had lost my connection.

As always, I was texting my UNC friend through the entirety of yesterday’s game. He has remained my best friend through these 30+ years. And ACC basketball is still near the root of our friendship. One of the first texts was, “I’m not sure if I’m more surprised that I don’t know any of the UNC players or that I don’t know any of the Clemson players.” I Have some sadness about that.

I still understood the jersey’s, though. And I still recognized the UNC fight song. And the logo at the center of the court. And Clemson really did beat UNC in Chapel Hill. Regardless what may be happening to UNC this season, that still counts.

And now it’s over. The streak is over. The narrative is ended. There is no more story to tell - other than to enjoy it as we are now as a thing we all shared together for a time.

Many years ago I posted in this very forum that some part of me didn’t want the streak to end. There’s something endearing about “never”, about “0-fer”. 1-59 is just...sad. 0-60 is...epic. Last night we traded Epic for Sad in a way.

I’m rambling. Apologies.

The responses in this thread have been so heartwarming. It’s nice to be remembered. Even after all these years. You guys (and gals) are very much like family. I appreciate you for that.

I do spend time on the Clemson message boards (TigerIllustrated). I don’t post much, I leave that to a younger generation that has a lot more passion. Which is why my first thought after the final buzzer was to get to DBR. My stories aren’t known on my “home” board. (And I am considered a malcontent for being frustrated with the state of our program after 10 years under Brad Brownell.). The Clemson board has no idea about my Promise. And I don’t particularly want them to be part of that story.

Cheers!
    First thing I said to my kids is that someone might be streaking down Franklin Street right about now.

I’m rambling. Apologies.

Cheers!
    Thanks for sharing your story with us!

-jk

I’m rambling. Apologies.

Cheers!
    Amazing post and consistent with my general college b-ball thoughts.

I’m rambling. Apologies.

Cheers!
    Great story, and even if you only want to casually discuss sports we hope to see you here when the mood strikes. The off-topic board is also pretty eclectic and dynamic.

“Don’t be a stranger”

It is a great story Klemnop and no surprise for many of us that last night our first thought was of you!

Welcome

Klemnop, my first thoughts when I saw the score were for you, and how happy you must be. (Well, that was my second thought, My first was "Is that a typo?")

I will go all in for the bail fund -- a full $20,000.

I’m rambling. Apologies.

Cheers!
    Great post. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Klemnop, my first thoughts when I saw the score were for you, and how happy you must be. (Well, that was my second thought, My first was "Is that a typo?")

I will go all in for the bail fund -- a full $20,000.
    Welcome back to another outstanding poster we've missed!

Consecutive posts by merry and james! OMG!! What a thread!!!!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I’m rambling. Apologies.

Cheers!
    This is a wonderful post. To me it represents a summation of many of the discussions on the Board. Klem laid out the life of many who post here. The young ones can learn and the old ones can nod their heads. The more it changes, the more it remains the same. Thanks, Klem, for a valuable statement on life.

I’m rambling. Apologies.

Cheers!
    Thank you for reminding us all of the fact that as basketball fans, we all have much more in common than we often believe. Your post reminds me of why I miss the old round robin days when I could name at least four of the starters for each team in the conference.

Congrats on the win, Klemnop. Hope you stick around for a bit.

What a stroll down memory lane at this wonderful reunion. Thank's y'all.

Thanks, Klemnop, for your posts. They remind us veteran posters why we love this community and enlighten the new folks to a slice of our community's history. And thanks to those who have shown up to post who haven't shown up in years. Love seeing all of you. We've missed you all!

Congratulations Klemnop. I also thought of you and the promise as I saw the score. Ending the streak is a big deal. I also really enjoyed that I had to reset the screen on the ESPN app to not only show top 25 scores when i went looking for the UNC score.

My cousin went to and unfortunately died at Clemson; I have fond memories of visiting him there. Best of luck Monday.

Y'all got any more of those legacy posters?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    There *might* be one or two more who've disappeared. Hey, wait, you're one of them! What a great reunion!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    !!!!!!!

Hey Klemnop!! Congrats, Man!!

You and I are roughly the same age, and we share the same feelings about College Hoops in general. My wife is a UNC Alum, and many of my friends either went there, or avidly root for them.

I didn't see the game, but my first thought when I heard the result was wondering if you streaked down Franklin.

You'd have to get a lot of beers in me to get that accomplished these days. If I was on the East Coast, I'd join you. Thanks for the memories, and good luck on Monday Night. Should be an awesome game.