Thread: S’up

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Happy Klemnop Today

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I don't know whether the Clemson win over UNC in Chapel Hill has opened a worm hole, or cast us into a time warp, or transported us into some sector of the Twilight Zone; but the sudden reappearance here of all these long-missing friends of the DBR is perfectly delightful. To each of them I would say: Our community has been diminished by your absence, and as you can see, we enthusiastically welcome your return -- even if only to celebrate with fellow fans old and new this rare alignment of the college basketball planets. Please visit more often!
    Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and thoughts. The last 18 hours have been surreal.

I’ll celebrate my 50th birthday later this year. The last two years I have seen so much change in my life. Some big, like seeing my last child out of the house and off to college (she’s a Reedie in Portland, OR) and seeing my first born get married. My wife and I left our home of 25 years in Columbia and moved to our “next phase” place on Hilton Head. Big, big changes.

Some are smaller but no less part of the narrative of who I am. I had a 2003 Toyota minivan that I had promised to keep “as long as it will run” or until the kids were out. I put 450k miles on that van. It became part of who I was. It was so awful...and yet it was immediately recognizable as me. I went from resentment of it (in the early days) to really embracing it and loving it at the end. I drive a lot for work. I had a lot of memories in that van. I cried like a baby the day I gave it away. I was happy to have a new (to me) truck...but I grieved the loss of that van. I grieved losing a part of my narrative. Of who I was. Who I had been.

Deep down I knew this day would come. At 20 I didn’t have the perspective to know that life has its way. Nothing is “forever”. Everything changes. With each passing year I actually became more sure that one day Clemson would beat UNC in Chapel Hill. Because “life”.

Sadly my interest in Clemson basketball has also changed. Partly that’s just because college basketball in general has become less interesting to me. I miss the days of guys going to school for four years, or at least three. And knowing not only all of the players on your team but also all of the players on the other league school teams. Back in 1991 I could easily name the starting five for every ACC team. I knew Walt Williams, John Crotty, Fire and Ice, Lethal Weapon Three...everyone. I had a relationship to the whole fabric of ACC basketball, especially Clemson.

Times have changed. In Clemson’s Sweet 16 season a couple of years ago 4 of the 5 main contributors were transfers. Even though I rooted for them I didn’t feel like I knew them. They weren’t mine. And trying to keep up with the rosters of other ACC teams - and having so many more ACC teams - I found I had lost my connection.

As always, I was texting my UNC friend through the entirety of yesterday’s game. He has remained my best friend through these 30+ years. And ACC basketball is still near the root of our friendship. One of the first texts was, “I’m not sure if I’m more surprised that I don’t know any of the UNC players or that I don’t know any of the Clemson players.” I Have some sadness about that.

I still understood the jersey’s, though. And I still recognized the UNC fight song. And the logo at the center of the court. And Clemson really did beat UNC in Chapel Hill. Regardless what may be happening to UNC this season, that still counts.

And now it’s over. The streak is over. The narrative is ended. There is no more story to tell - other than to enjoy it as we are now as a thing we all shared together for a time.

Many years ago I posted in this very forum that some part of me didn’t want the streak to end. There’s something endearing about “never”, about “0-fer”. 1-59 is just...sad. 0-60 is...epic. Last night we traded Epic for Sad in a way.

I’m rambling. Apologies.

The responses in this thread have been so heartwarming. It’s nice to be remembered. Even after all these years. You guys (and gals) are very much like family. I appreciate you for that.

I do spend time on the Clemson message boards (TigerIllustrated). I don’t post much, I leave that to a younger generation that has a lot more passion. Which is why my first thought after the final buzzer was to get to DBR. My stories aren’t known on my “home” board. (And I am considered a malcontent for being frustrated with the state of our program after 10 years under Brad Brownell.). The Clemson board has no idea about my Promise. And I don’t particularly want them to be part of that story.

It’s your story, DBR. It was our story.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Klemnop; 01-12-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar