Tragic death and Sylvia Hatchell charged

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...destrian-death

DURHAM, N.C. -- The former women's basketball coach at the University of North Carolina has been charged in connection with an accident that killed an elderly pedestrian, police said Friday.

Durham police said in a news release that Sylvia Hatchell, 67, was cited for misdemeanor death by vehicle and unsafe movement violation.

Betty Colby, 89, was struck by a vehicle about noon Monday in the parking lot of a fitness center, police said. The impact knocked Colby backward, and she hit her head on the pavement, investigators said.

The article also notes:

Investigators also said that neither speed nor impairment was a factor in the accident.

That is absolutely awful!

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    The article also notes:

Investigators also said that neither speed nor impairment was a factor in the accident.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I always hated her, but I wouldn't want to see us get all worked up calling her a monster over this if facts remain to be established.

Very sad. Prayers for all concerned.

So sad for all. Accidents do happen, and the home page account makes this sound to be one. Praying for comfort for the families.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    So sad for all. Accidents do happen, and the home page account makes this sound to be one. Praying for comfort for the families.
    They are almost never accidents. Calling it an accident implies that it could not have been prevented (or was “an act of God”.) There is usually somebody at fault. It is proper terminology to call this a crash, in this case involving a vehicle and pedestrian. In this case, it appears the driver was at fault, and was cited.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    They are almost never accidents. Calling it an accident implies that it could not have been prevented (or was “an act of God”.) There is usually somebody at fault. It is proper terminology to call this a crash, in this case involving a vehicle and pedestrian. In this case, it appears the driver was at fault, and was cited.
    Most people don’t use the term accident in the way you have described it. Most people use and understand the term accident as meaning “not on purpose.”

So Sad

I feel for all who are affected by this tragedy. We don't know the circumstances. It also reminded me of something that almost happened to me last year.

My wife, & our Cattle Dog, Teke were with me as I was backing out of our drive. I am a really safe driver. I looked and all was clear. I was backing slowly when all of a sudden, Teke went nuts barking. I stopped & I saw a tiny neighborhood girl on her bike in my side mirror. She like kids will do had heard a friend call & decided to cut through our drive without thinking or looking. Later I told her that I did not mind her cutting through our yard (keeps her off of busy road as we live in a culdesac.) but to please be careful. I think she came from the side where my neighbor has a hedge and lost in her own world did not pay attention.

I don't know about fault but I do know that thanks to an observant dog I did not have to carry that in my mind forever.

I also looked at my wife as I was praising Teke and said, "She just repaid every penny we ever spent on her and then some." Not that she hadn't already with her love, loyalty and companionship.

Definition and examples from Merriam Webster online

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Most people don’t use the term accident in the way you have described it. Most people use and understand the term accident as meaning “not on purpose.”

1a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance // Their meeting was an accident.
    b : lack of intention or necessity : chance // They met by accident rather than by design.
    2a : an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance // was involved in a traffic accident

I love a good semantic argument, but not sure this thread is the most appropriate place for one. JMHO.

It is an unfortunate incident and I feel for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Let you not be my judge.
    How many times do we see children dart out into traffic lanes when we are driving nearby? Have you not heard of them running into the side of moving vehicles. The article mentions that the pedestrian was 89 years old. Tragic that she was hit. Preventable perhaps. Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I love a good semantic argument, but not sure this thread is the most appropriate place for one. JMHO.

It is an unfortunate incident and I feel for all concerned.
    MHO as well OPK

I get nervous many times backing out of parking spaces at the market since the SUVs next to me completely block my view of approaching vehicles or people...I creep like a geezer.
    Since Sylvia was charged with a misdemeanor, I suspect she was more careless than anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I love a good semantic argument, ...
    Don't bring religion into this!

Besides, the Big Bang was no accident!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Exactly. The response seems to be more of a legal argument for fault rather than intent.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    MHO as well OPK
    As one of the most pedantic folks on this board, I respectfully agree.

I feel for everyone involved here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As one of the most pedantic folks on this board, I respectfully agree.

I feel for everyone involved here.
    Me too. Prayers for all involved.

GoDuke!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Let you not be my judge.
    How many times do we see children dart out into traffic lanes when we are driving nearby? Have you not heard of them running into the side of moving vehicles. The article mentions that the pedestrian was 89 years old. Tragic that she was hit. Preventable perhaps. Perhaps.
    It is my profession’s job to determine what caused crashes like this, and try to do everything we can to prevent more like this from happening. Nothing I said implies that it wasn’t tragic, but it was not an accident, in terms of it wasn’t anybody’s fault. Based on the charges filed, it was Coach Hatchell’s fault, likely due to inattention when she made a slow turn into a parking aisle in that parking lot. inattention, not intent, as I don’t know of anybody who has said or implied that Coach Hatchell intended to go out and hit and kill a women this week. But based on the information provided, this was absolutely preventable.