Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP, Neil Peart

Listened to a lot of Rush this weekend.

Focusing in on the drums, Neil Peart was an absolute artist and magician.
    Masterful doesn’t do justice to the precision with which Neil drums.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Listened to a lot of Rush this weekend.

Focusing in on the drums, Neil Peart was an absolute artist and magician.
    Masterful doesn’t do justice to the precision with which Neil drums.
    It's been nice to read all the paeans to NP these last few days. Interesting too, how RS claimed that Keith Moon was his drumming hero, since Peart was so methodical and precise, and Moon was the opposite, though just as musical and creative in his own way. There's more than one way to do things.

But I think the underlying commonality between Neal and Keith is that they both played drums, at times, as a lead instrument. [In fact, you could argue that in The Who, the guitar was usually rhythm and the drums and bass were lead instruments]. I was just a casual fan of Rush, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to me everyone played rhythm and lead parts - they shared, they took turns/handed off, and it worked amazingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I was just a casual fan of Rush, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to me everyone played rhythm and lead parts - they shared, they took turns/handed off, and it worked amazingly well.
    You are correct. You can hear that interplay and exchange in songs like "Freewill," "YYZ," and "La Villa Strangiato." Sometimes, the bass is more of the lead instrument, and the guitar is more atmospheric rhythm in songs like "Marathon" and "Driven." The drums are always stars and bring multiple ideas that develop over the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    You are correct. You can hear that interplay and exchange in songs like "Freewill," "YYZ," and "La Villa Strangiato." Sometimes, the bass is more of the lead instrument, and the guitar is more atmospheric rhythm in songs like "Marathon" and "Driven." The drums are always stars and bring multiple ideas that develop over the song.
    To anyone interested in reading some of Neil's books, Audible has them available for FREE download thru (I believe) January 28th. I've started reading "Ghost Rider" and it's pretty enlightening actually. Neil seems to be the type of guy who wasn't comfortable unless he was busy, and I can relate to that. While he missed out on his later years, he probably crammed more adventures into his 67 years than most of us would in 3 lifetimes.

https://www.audible.com/author/Neil-Peart/B000APH4T0
    "There can BE only one."

By any chance do you know if that free offer via Audible requires one to sign up for a trial subscription that has to be cancelled in time to avoid being charged? Or is it straight up a free download with no strings attached?

By any chance do you know if that free offer via Audible requires one to sign up for a trial subscription that has to be cancelled in time to avoid being charged? Or is it straight up a free download with no strings attached?
    Free. No strings or trials required. Oh, and good news is that the artist is still compensated for the downloads.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Free. No strings or trials required. Oh, and good news is that the artist is still compensated for the downloads.
    At checkout, Amazon informs me,

By starting your membership, you agree to Audible's Conditions of Use and Amazon's Privacy Notice.
    The terms of said membership are completely vague. Amazon keeps a method of payment on file so ... I think I'll pass, barring further clarification (on Amazon/Audible's part) on these matters.

At checkout, Amazon informs me,

The terms of said membership are completely vague. Amazon keeps a method of payment on file so ... I think I'll pass, barring further clarification (on Amazon/Audible's part) on these matters.
    Attention all pilots of the solar federation. Amazon has assumed control.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Attention all pilots of the solar federation. Amazon has assumed control.
    Amazon-face1c.jpg

Just ran across this tribute by a US Army band... solid.

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Somehow this guy(James Fell, if this kind of stuff interests you)'s post on Neil Peart showed up on my facebook page. Thought it was interesting for fans. The guy's page is kinda unusual, but warning: He refers to himself as the "Sweary Historian".

In 2011 I interviewed drummer Neil Peart for the Los Angeles Times and thought, what a nice guy. In 1974, the founders of the rock band Rush met Neil Peart when he auditioned for them and at first they thought, what a weird guy. He still got the job, and music history was made, changing the spirit of radio for decades to come.

--On This Day in History ____ Went Down: July 29, 1974--
    To get the story of Peart’s audition, I talked to the band’s guitarist Alex Lifeson. Alex formed Rush in 1968 in Toronto with neighbor John Rutsey on drums; Lifeson’s best friend Geddy Lee joined as bassist and singer a short time later. By 1974, with help from Cleveland radio DJ Donna Halper playing their music, Rush had a U.S. record deal and an American tour booked. But Rutsey’s health wouldn’t allow for the rigors of touring; the band needed to find a replacement, fast. Late in July of 1974 they auditioned three drummers; Neil was second. “We felt an obligation to audition the third guy,” Alex told me. “We were being polite. We had already decided that Neil was absolutely the guy.”

Sarcastically, Alex referred to himself and Geddy as “hip and cool” with waist-length hair and satin pants. Neil showed up driving his mom’s Pinto. “He was a very nerdy looking guy with short hair,” Lifeson said. “But when he set up his drums and started playing, we were just blown away.” The connection went beyond Peart’s drumming prowess. “He arrived at noon and stayed until 11 at night and we just jammed and then sat around, and we talked and laughed a lot. That was the thing that stood out, that we had camaraderie. We talked about books and social issues and then we’d jam for another hour then maybe smoke a joint and talk about more stuff. It was just an instant connection with him.” Geddy Lee turned 21 on July 29, 1974. For a gift, he got a new band member.

At the time, Alex didn’t understand how much Neil’s joining would change the direction of Rush. “We were just excited to be on tour in America,” he said. “It wasn’t until we started writing material for Fly by Night (Rush’s second album, the first with Neil) a couple months after he joined” that Lifeson realized the band was on a different path. That album, Alex explained, was written using acoustic guitars in the backs of cars. He described Neil as “very intelligent and well read” and so was given the job of penning lyrics while they composed the tunes “bounding down highways on the way to the next gig.”

“Our beginnings were bands like Cream and Zeppelin, but we wanted to grow out of that,” Lifeson told me. “We wanted our own identity. I don’t think that really happened until 2112 (the band’s third album with Peart) that we felt we were our own band.” The record company wasn’t impressed with the previous two albums and told Rush to write some hits, but the band went in the opposite direction with 2112, deciding to go down in a “blaze of glory,” creating a dystopian-future-themed album that was not at all radio-friendly. And yet, word of mouth made the 1976 release into a massive seller.

Despite critics regularly excoriating the band, opining that Geddy Lee’s voice sounded like “a cat being chased out the door with a blowtorch up its I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.” and declaring Neil’s lyrics “smug, hypocritical, pseudo-symbolic drivel,” Rush would be awarded 14 Platinum and three multi-Platinum albums in the U.S., and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013. Their lasting legacy has been their influence on other bands, inspiring acts such as Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, and Metallica. Peart is considered one of the greatest rock drummers of all time, a drummer’s drummer. Dave Grohl said of him, “His power, precision, and composition was incomparable. He was called ‘The Professor’ for a reason: We all learned from him.”

Rush never stopped innovating in their music. “Neil was a great catalyst for that,” Alex said. “He always had such a vision for the future.” Neil Peart died of glioblastoma on January 7, 2020.
    Get the book ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY ____ WENT DOWN at JamesFell.com/books.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan