Happy 100th Birthday Norman Lear!

What a milestone for an icon. All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and on and on and on. There are a lot of great articles out there today, here is just one:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/no...Z4C?li=BBnb7Kz

Happy Birthday Old Man!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    What a milestone for an icon. All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and on and on and on. There are a lot of great articles out there today, here is just one:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/no...Z4C?li=BBnb7Kz

Happy Birthday Old Man!
    He wrote a Guest Essay in today's NY Times entitled "On My 100th Birthday, Reflections on Archie Bunker and Donald Trump", which I assume is behind a paywall but I'll link anyway

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/o...rman-lear.html

For all his faults, Archie loved his country and he loved his family, even when they called him out on his ignorance and bigotries. If Archie had been around 50 years later, he probably would have watched Fox News. He probably would have been a Trump voter. But I think that the sight of the American flag being used to attack Capitol Police would have sickened him. I hope that the resolve shown by Representatives Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger, and their commitment to exposing the truth, would have won his respect.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I will admit to being a bit too young for All in the Family and Sanford and Sons, and given this is a basketball site and I grew up a Bulls fan in the 90s, my mind upon seeing the thread title went to "Norm Van Lier". Unfortunately, Van Lier died in 2009 at age 61.

In any event, pretty amazing life for Normal Lear! It's always nice to get the renewed recognition while STILL ALIVE rather than what seemingly occurs more frequently that it happens after death. We should do more of that as a society.

*Norman Lear (sorry, beyond the time limit to edit post and fix misspelling)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I will admit to being a bit too young for All in the Family and Sanford and Sons, and given this is a basketball site and I grew up a Bulls fan in the 90s, my mind upon seeing the thread title went to "Norm Van Lier". Unfortunately, Van Lier died in 2009 at age 61.

In any event, pretty amazing life for Normal Lear! It's always nice to get the renewed recognition while STILL ALIVE rather than what seemingly occurs more frequently that it happens after death. We should do more of that as a society.
    Stormin Norman Van Lier. I was a Bulls fan and went to may games at the old Chicago Stadium in the late 60's and early 70's.

Norm Van Lier, Jerry Sloan, Chet Walker, Bob "Butterbean" Love and Tom Boerwinkle. Those guys played hard. During that time frame we usually get tickets in the upper balcony for $1. Those were the days.