Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Russian Surveillance Ship Acts Aggressive Toward US Destroyer

A Russian ship approached and acted aggressive towards an Arliegh Burke class destroyer today in the North Arabian sea. Initially ignoring warning to change course, the Russian surveillance ship got to within 55 meters before exiting the area. The destroyer, USS Farragut, was part of the USS Harry S Truman Carrier battle group.
    This is the second time in 8 months a Russian ship has done this, last time was June 7th in the Philippine Sea.This was a near collision when the USS Chancellorsville, a cruiser,nearly hit a Russian destroyer that crossed its path during exercises.
    On June 4th, a Russian SU-35 fighter plane buzzed an American surveillance plane in the Med , only moving away when a US F-18 fighter arrived on scene.
    On May 20th, 4 TU-95 Russian bombers and 2 SU-35 fighters were intercepted by 4 US F-22 fighters in the Alaska Air Defense Zone. The Russian planes turned and made off.
    Tell you what, we with military backgrounds can sometimes sense when your opposite number is only saber rattling, and I am not so sure about this.

We and the Russians sometimes trail each other on the open sea, but we have to be more vigilant, because we are the ones with the most powerful battle groups, because we have the super carriers.
    Russia has no true carriers.

those clowns do this all the time. Been going on for many decades. Vlad misses the good old USSR days.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    those clowns do this all the time. Been going on for many decades. Vlad misses the good old USSR days.
    Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
    They leave the west behind
    And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
    That Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my my mind
    Oh, show me round your snow peaked
    mountain way down south
    Take me to you daddy's farm
    Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out
    Come and keep your comrade warm
    I'm back in the USSR

True. I was on a cruiser in the early 70’s in the Med. It wasn’t unusual for the Russian ships to interfere with our movements for days, sometimes steaming along side us within a couple hundred feet, accelerating and then cutting in front of our bow.

Our Captain had our machinists fabricate a dummy contraption about the size of a 55 gallon drum, complete with external antennas, pipes, and gadgets. While the Russians were in proximity, the Captain stopped dead in the water and had the contraption lowered over the side of the ship, feigning secrecy. As we sailed away, the Russian ships made a dash for our “launch” location. We didn’t see them for several days after that, presumably while they tried to recover our secret device. Either that, or they figured we were a bunch of idiots and not worth their time.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    True. I was on a cruiser in the early 70’s in the Med. It wasn’t unusual for the Russian ships to interfere with our movements for days, sometimes steaming along side us within a couple hundred feet, accelerating and then cutting in front of our bow.

Our Captain had our machinists fabricate a dummy contraption about the size of a 55 gallon drum, complete with external antennas, pipes, and gadgets. While the Russians were in proximity, the Captain stopped dead in the water and had the contraption lowered over the side of the ship, feigning secrecy. As we sailed away, the Russian ships made a dash for our “launch” location. We didn’t see them for several days after that, presumably while they tried to recover our secret device. Either that, or they figured we were a bunch of idiots and not worth their time.
    That’s awesome. Did a clown head on a spring pop out when they opened it up?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

many fun and games! Local barber shop here serves F-16 pilots (now F-35) who routinely track Russian Bear Bombers (note: these things have propellers...how tough could it be to shoot them down in a war?) as they fly along the US East coast, often heading for Cuba...sometimes the F-16s fly upside down directly over the bombers, take nice photos of the Russian crew, the barber shop has a few nice ones.

many fun and games! Local barber shop here serves F-16 pilots (now F-35) who routinely track Russian Bear Bombers (note: these things have propellers...how tough could it be to shoot them down in a war?) as they fly along the US East coast, often heading for Cuba...sometimes the F-16s fly upside down directly over the bombers, take nice photos of the Russian crew, the barber shop has a few nice ones.
    Any exchange of non-verbal communication?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Any exchange of non-verbal communication?
    IIRC one of the pictures has a Russki giving the finger...

IIRC one of the pictures has a Russki giving the finger...
    That sounds like a one way ticket to the danger zone...

Russian and god knows who else spy ships are routinely off the east coast.i believe there was a news report not to long ago. Heck durring ww2 german u boats would mine our harbor and wait .
    Im absolutely sure we do something simular maybe not to the degree they do.but im sure our presence is known.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Russian and god knows who else spy ships are routinely off the east coast.i believe there was a news report not to long ago. Heck durring ww2 german u boats would mine our harbor and wait .
    Im absolutely sure we do something simular maybe not to the degree they do.but im sure our presence is known.
    an old family acquaintance was captain of several nuclear subs in the 1960s and 1970s and he told me (apropos to a discussion about the huge advantage the U.S. had then in quiet operation) about entering Soviet harbors to take pictures and then sneak back out (submerged, of course). Probably shouldn't have shared that with me, but that's why they invented cocktails.

an old family acquaintance was captain of several nuclear subs in the 1960s and 1970s and he told me (apropos to a discussion about the huge advantage the U.S. had then in quiet operation) about entering Soviet harbors to take pictures and then sneak back out (submerged, of course). Probably shouldn't have shared that with me, but that's why they invented cocktails.
    Great. Next thing you know we'll be hearing about how they influenced the voting in our MOTM polls...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great. Next thing you know we'll be hearing about how they influenced the voting in our MOTM polls...

You may have a point .when ANNA KOURNIKOVA comes over and tells me to vote for Aoc i immediately know its for alex on the duke motm poll.i will oblige her wishes .its not the democratic congresswoman she is referring to.

You may have a point .when ANNA KOURNIKOVA comes over and tells me to vote for Aoc i immediately know its for alex on the duke motm poll.i will oblige her wishes .its not the democratic congresswoman she is referring to.
    Anna is on our side now, she became an American citizen in 2010 and lives in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Anna is on our side now, she became an American citizen in 2010 and lives in FL.
    Well ok then .lol

Well ok then .lol
    Figured knowing it might make you feel more patriotic!

She might be deep state operative. Better investigate personally.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    She might be deep state operative. Better investigate personally.
    “All of them and right away.”

<tears envelope, blows in it, pulls out paper>

Reads: “if Anna asked for state secrets, would you give them to her?”

“All of them and right away.”

<tears envelope, blows in it, pulls out paper>

Reads: “if Anna asked for state secrets, would you give them to her?”
    [Ed McMahon] Ho Ho haw heh! [/Ed McMahon]

I quit playing AK, because as they say, always looks good...

Rest of my crowd is in Vegas as I type. My parents(now in their early 80s) wanted some family time.