DBR Podcast #181 - Jason hits the locker room

The podcast was in the house for the Ga Tech game as Jason Evans got to interview the players post-game and sit in on Coach K's news conference. This mid-week special podcast is a deep dive on a fascinating game... enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/18...ws-and-coach-k

0:00 Donald and Jason are here for a post-Ga Tech show
    2:30 Jason talks about watching the game from press row and he cannot stop talking about what K did with the lineups this game and the impact of Jordan Goldwire
    7:55 Donald on how Javin and Jack impacted the game late
    9:00 We praise Ga Tech's play, they came to compete!
    12:00 Lets take a few moments for Cassisus' dunks
    14:30 We need a name for Duke's withering defense
    17:10 More mid-week podcasts are coming
    17:50 Jason went into the locker room after the game... here is what he heard:
    18:50 Postgame sound with Vernon Carey
    20:10 Postgame sound with Jordan Goldwire
    21:50 Postgame sound with Cassius Stanley
    24:10 We react to what we heard in the locker room
    28:25 Coach K's postgame news conference
    34:20 Coach K gets a little prickly at Jason's question
    38:35 Reaction to K's press conference
    46:30 Jason gives some props to Tre Jones
    48:35 Thanks to our sponsors, Byrd Campbell
    49:10 Final thoughts on the Ga Tech game and the possibility of Duke going undefeated in the ACC this season
    53:45 Donald says goodbye and Duke band plays us out

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    28:25 Coach K's postgame news conference
    34:20 Coach K gets a little prickly at Jason's question
    Wait a minute. I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I strongly suspect that the question you asked was the one about the "rotation" (which Duke doesn't have, ha ha). If so, that's awesome! When I listened to the press conference, I didn't recognize your voice, but I thought "that is the most DBR question I have ever heard anyone ask Coach K". Seems like I wasn't off base.

By the way, semantics aside about whether or not Duke has a rotation, I thought his answer was insightful. Basically Coach K felt he needed three elite athletes on the floor to guard Tech's perimeter guys. Thus, lots of minutes for Tre, Jordan, and Cassius.

I love the fact that Jason (shall we call him J-Ev now?) uses my nickname when referring to Jordan Goldwire, J-Gold. Admittedly, it's not a tough nickname to come up with, and perhaps people called him that when in HS, but still it's fun to hear/read others use it.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Wait a minute. I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I strongly suspect that the question you asked was the one about the "rotation" (which Duke doesn't have, ha ha). If so, that's awesome! When I listened to the press conference, I didn't recognize your voice, but I thought "that is the most DBR question I have ever heard anyone ask Coach K". Seems like I wasn't off base.

By the way, semantics aside about whether or not Duke has a rotation, I thought his answer was insightful. Basically Coach K felt he needed three elite athletes on the floor to guard Tech's perimeter guys. Thus, lots of minutes for Tre, Jordan, and Cassius.
    Yup... when he jumped in, I was like, "oh snap... I'm the jerk who is getting called out by K for asking the wrong question." I might have used a word different than "snap" in my head
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yup... when he jumped in, I was like, "oh snap... I'm the jerk who is getting called out by K for asking the wrong question." I might have used a word different than "snap" in my head
    It's a rite of passage. You handled it smoothly. And you got a nice detailed response from K after he slapped you. haha

Your "bad etiquette" sort of reminded me of showing up to a furry convention out of costume or a Harry Potter re-enactment and spoiling the ending or major plot points. Something like that.

Essentially sometimes coaches create a fictional universe for the season, and they expect you reporters to play along with it. Now, obviously Coach K is going very deep with this team, which makes us all happy, but Duke does *not* literally have 10 starters or equal players; we *do* have role/support players and also bench guys who essentially *do* back up other players; we *do* have a rotation. Now, it's a great mindset or attitude for the team to aspire to, but it's still essentially a fictional universe that Coach K has created.

I enjoyed the exchange you guys had. Quick thinking, Jason, to get out of that jam.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I love the fact that Jason (shall we call him J-Ev now?) uses my nickname when referring to Jordan Goldwire, J-Gold. Admittedly, it's not a tough nickname to come up with, and perhaps people called him that when in HS, but still it's fun to hear/read others use it.
    K must use your nickname, too, as I heard him call young Mr. Goldwire, "JGold" during a post game presser last month.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Loved the response that everyone is a starter. There have been times in recent years that K has said the opposite in postgame press conferences, that we have defined starters and then bench players and that the bench players know their place. His current response was a sharp contrast to that. Also, I didn’t think that Jason’s question was terrible or offensive or anything, I don’t quite understand why there was such backlash. A 10-man rotation is still a rotation. Perhaps there is a negative connotation behind the word because “rotation” implies a set pecking order that can’t be changed during the game?

Thanks to the whole DBR podcast crew for providing us with such great content!

First Jim Sumner, then Jason Evans "pestering" (questioning? doubting?) Coach K during pressers. Next thing you know, K will be on DBR reprimanding the whole bunch of us as rabble-rousers, Troublemakers or, even worse, c*rolina haters and Clemson lovers.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I thought you recovered gracefully and ended up getting a fairly thoughtful answer.

At least Coach K didn't respond to your question by asking you if you woke up every day "happy and go-lucky" ?!?!

(Sometimes Coach K's attempts at humor require a lot of dots to be connected.)

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Loved the response that everyone is a starter. There have been times in recent years that K has said the opposite in postgame press conferences, that we have defined starters and then bench players and that the bench players know their place. His current response was a sharp contrast to that. Also, I didn’t think that Jason’s question was terrible or offensive or anything, I don’t quite understand why there was such backlash. A 10-man rotation is still a rotation. Perhaps there is a negative connotation behind the word because “rotation” implies a set pecking order that can’t be changed during the game?

Thanks to the whole DBR podcast crew for providing us with such great content!
    Yes, it does, according to this website's definition and clearly, according to our own Coach K.

https://www.rookieroad.com/basketbal...hing/rotation/

A rotation is a pre-planned group of players that are substituted from the bench to the floor.

Key word is "pre-planned".
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Good work on the 2 part question J-Ev. Coach liked both questions.