Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I assume you were a D1 athlete who had the opportunity to make $10M+ per year for the next 15-20 years?

And if I were to offer you this $10M+ per year after you freshman year, you'd say no?

College was amazing. The second best time of my life after business school. But I'm not saying no to that kind of money if i was offered.
    I’ve had the chance, and still do, to double my salary. Now it’s not close to $10 million but i could do a lot with that extra cash. The only issue is that this new job would take me away from my young kids for the majority of the week. A straight deal breaker to me. No amount of money could ever buy my time spent with my kids.

So money isn’t that important to me. There are so many other things in life that I enjoy more than the money in my bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    that's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I’ve had the chance, and still do, to double my salary. Now it’s not close to $10 million but i could do a lot with that extra cash. The only issue is that this new job would take me away from my young kids for the majority of the week. A straight deal breaker to me. No amount of money could ever buy my time spent with my kids.

So money isn’t that important to me. There are so many other things in life that I enjoy more than the money in my bank account.
    No analogy, not applicable on so many levels - but man a nice virtue signal you got going there.

Last I heard, Zion was not leaving kids behind by going to the NBA. But after this year, he'll have enough money to do whatever he needs to do for however many kids he ends up having.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want to eat ice cream, pie, and steak for every meal, every day... but that doesn't mean it is a good idea or I am really considering doing it.

That said, I love that Zion so enjoyed his time at Duke that he wished it could last longer. That says a lot about the Brotherhood and the staff.
    Imagine a scenario where he could sign with an agent, make $$ off his likeness, and even sign a sneaker deal. Then it’s easy to envision a scenario where a kid like Zion would stay around for 2-3 years. Who’s in the way of that? The NCAA. And frankly, for a guy like Zion, it even makes $ sense for them. But, but, they would lose some control. And they will go down kicking and screaming before they lose control...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    In what scenario or world is Zion not going pro the right move?...
    In the scenario where enjoying the life he was leading was more valued than one he didn't know. Not everyone/everything in life is valued in $'s.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Weak sauce, a platitude, a cliche, and way too shallow to really explain the nuances of the Zion dynamic. Money isn't everything, but money is important, and risk is a reality.
    This your value system shared with a lot of people, others find it "weak sauce." I suspect there are a lot more stories than you realize of ppl who value more in life than money and make different choices.
    Last edited by Kfanarmy; 01-08-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post

This your value system shared with a lot of people, others find it "weak sauce." I suspect there are a lot more stories than you realize of ppl who value more in life than money and make different choices.
    I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough for you to understand. "Things more important than money" in this case is a shallow surface platitude that insults the very unique decision and risk reward equation that someone like Zion has to make. I don't disagree with the concept that there are things more important than money, I just think that's such a cliche that it is useless and meaningless in this situation. Your virtue signal and insult was very uncalled for. It's not about the value, it's about the shallowness of that cliche. I'll keep it simpler in the future.

Still, I think playing for Duke is a lot of fun and Zion is a fun guy.

Wish him nothing but the best.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    That ship has sailed.
    A picture is worth four words.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough for you to understand. "Things more important than money" in this case is a shallow surface platitude that insults the very unique decision and risk reward equation that someone like Zion has to make. I don't disagree with the concept that there are things more important than money, I just think that's such a cliche that it is useless and meaningless in this situation. Your virtue signal and insult was very uncalled for. It's not about the value, it's about the shallowness of that cliche. I'll keep it simpler in the future.
    Look. You are arguing against people agreeing with the emotions and words of Zion who actually faced this choice, and was apparently close to making a different decision. Downnplaying other people's opinion through passive aggressive implications that their thoughts are platitudes and cliches demonstrates, frankly, a childlike inability to understand the most vast diversity of mankind: uniqueness of thought and feeling.

You don't need to "keep it simpler." But you might want to develop some depth in understanding that not everyone else's happiness is achieved the way you believe it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Well worth every bit of the 28 minutes to watch. All three participants (JJ, Zion, and Tommy Alter) are incredibly engaging. Really good stuff.
    There were a lot of interesting tidbits in the interview in addition to Zion admitting he considered coming back.

1. Coach K, his parents, and virtually everyone wouldn't let him come back.

2. He never considered shutting it down after UNC, despite many people telling him to. He would have felt selfish.

3. The rookies are required to bring Chick-fil-a on team planes.

4. JJ may get run out of NO for his comments on the food so far.

I also thought JJ's comments that in all his time in the league he'd only witnessed one player miss a game for being hungover, which is usually listed as 'flu-like symptoms' of the like. In my 20s, while not a regular occurrence, I can attest that I called in sick with 'flu-like symptoms' more than once!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post

Absolutely agree.i had the money had to lose time with my 1st born.i gave up 40 to 60k a year to be there for my younger two.somethings you cant get back or replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Look. You are arguing against people agreeing with the emotions and words of Zion who actually faced this choice, and was apparently close to making a different decision. Downnplaying other people's opinion through passive aggressive implications that their thoughts are platitudes and cliches demonstrates, frankly, a childlike inability to understand the most vast diversity of mankind: uniqueness of thought and feeling.

You don't need to "keep it simpler." But you might want to develop some depth in understanding that not everyone else's happiness is achieved the way you believe it should.
    Your statement in black is simply not what happened, not at all. It was my opinion that was downgraded in the light of meaningless platitudes, and the judgmental attitude came at me first.
    In red, you kind of prove that indeed I need to make it simpler, because your'e still nowhere close to reality. I actually come down with Zion, in that it was tough, but a necessary and wise decision. Zion is not like Grant Hill....a family with money and connections even if pro ball didn't work out due to injury. And before you respond to that, remember that K SELLS THOSE CONNECTIONS through Duke as a recruiting tool (as he should). It's what ticked Calipari off.

And Zion was not "close" - actually in reality - even if he was there emotionally. It makes a great story now, and should help Duke recruiting even more. It was NEVER EVER gonna happen. Parents and coaches set the emotion aside and did what was best for the young man, which at 18, many young men need.

Eh they usually say that. Reality is most people arent going to turn down millions of dollars doing something they love to take tests, attend class, and increase your chance at losing said money because of an injury. I'm just happy he enjoyed his time.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    in a world where his family is already worth 100 million dollars, and he wants to hang with his friends and wreck people for another year.

Where he wants to win a natty and actually get the opportunity to torch UNC in cameron.

College is fun. I have no doubt that many players find playing in college more fun than playing in the NBA.
    How about a world where a player can sign a $75M shoe contract and still be eligible to play in the NCAA? Depending on how the NIL rights legislation efforts end up working out, there is a non-zero chance that we may be living in this world at some point in the near future. That would certainly change the financial aspects of the decision for the "next Zion".

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    How about a world where a player can sign a $75M shoe contract and still be eligible to play in the NCAA? Depending on how the NIL rights legislation efforts end up working out, there is a non-zero chance that we may be living in this world at some point in the near future. That would certainly change the financial aspects of the decision for the "next Zion".
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    But we must preserve the sanctity of college sports!

/Clutches pearls