Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Look on the bright side

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    Yeah, and Virginia's Braxton Key (just back from a broken wrist) was holding his wrist in pain at the end. If he's rebroken it or is out for a significant length of time, not only is UVA probably an NIT team, we're not even an especially good NIT team.
    Still better than UNCheat!

Pitt is +5 in chapel hill vs the heels tonight.

The Virginia Tech Hokies went up to the Carrier Dome and beat Cuse 67-63 last night.

Slow start for Cuse this year.

It was a very bad loss for UVA, and I hate to speak ill of any member of the Duke Extended Universe here, but I really think Thornton being out was a positive for BC. He's not good, and he thinks he is, and that's a bad combination. Him being on the bench cleared minutes for the backup, Heath, who took it to Clark repeatedly.

The early word on Key is that he'll be OK, but I don't know that he's had X-rays yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    It was a very bad loss for UVA, and I hate to speak ill of any member of the Duke Extended Universe here, but I really think Thornton being out was a positive for BC. He's not good, and he thinks he is, and that's a bad combination. Him being on the bench cleared minutes for the backup, Heath, who took it to Clark repeatedly.

The early word on Key is that he'll be OK, but I don't know that he's had X-rays yet.
    Why was Thornton out? And why do you think he thinks he’s good? Has he made some overly braggadocious comments? I haven’t read anything about Thornton in quite awhile and I’m just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Why was Thornton out? And why do you think he thinks he’s good? Has he made some overly braggadocious comments? I haven’t read anything about Thornton in quite awhile and I’m just curious.
    I don't know Steven43 but maybe Darkstar sees Derryck's leaving other schools as a sign that he thinks he's better than he really is. It looks to me that Derryck has regressed since his freshman year at Duke. I feel sorry for the young man for letting his family derail his career.

He's been injured I believe(reason for being out).

GoDuke!

"...Sweet Caroline
    (Let's Go Pitt)
    Good times never seemed so good
    (Go Pitt, Go Pitt, Go Pitt)
    I've been inclined
    (Let's Go Pitt)..."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The Virginia Tech Hokies went up to the Carrier Dome and beat Cuse 67-63 last night.

VT had 20 assists on 21 made field goals. The lone unassisted one was a steal and a breakaway dunk. They may have just shot threes (albeit only 10-36) and jump shots over the zone, but they sure moved the ball around the right way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

"...Sweet Caroline
    (Let's Go Pitt)
    I've been inclined
    (Let's Go Pitt)..."
    Maybe 2nd to: "Devil in a Blue Dress".

GoDuke!

"...Sweet Caroline
    (Let's Go Pitt)
    I've been inclined
    (Let's Go Pitt)..."
    I did not know that was a thing but that is amazing!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

"...Sweet Caroline
    (Let's Go Pitt)
    I've been inclined
    (Let's Go Pitt)..."
    That's actually pretty gosh darn cool!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

Cuse led by 9 with 12 to go before 21-4 run by Tech. Jalen Cone with two 4 point plays in the run, and a third 3 pointer to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I don't know Steven43 but maybe Darkstar sees Derryck's leaving other schools as a sign that he thinks he's better than he really is. It looks to me that Derryck has regressed since his freshman year at Duke. I feel sorry for the young man for letting his family derail his career.

He's been injured I believe(reason for being out).

GoDuke!
    That's a lot of it, plus his high usage rates in general. He's taken nearly 40 more 2s than the next-highest player despite having the second-worst shooting percentage on them in the BC rotation. I really think they're better off with Heath running the backcourt.

"...Sweet Caroline
    (Let's Go Pitt)
    I've been inclined
    (Let's Go Pitt)..."
    I thought that was a big Penn State thing...Pitt does it too?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I thought that was a big Penn State thing...Pitt does it too?
    Ha! I had no idea it was a Penn State thing.

Lemme get home tonight and I'll link some of the articles 'splaining it. I remember (not totally reliable) reading that other pro/college teams have randomly/repeatedly sung it but I first learned about it visiting friends in the Pitt section at WW during the 58-55 (?) game several years ago.

We (UVA) were bad yesterday. BAD. I really think we're worse now than we were at the beginning of the season. The players are finally starting to let the shooting woes affect them mentally. Defense has actually declined (despite still being first nationally) over the last month or so, and turnover rates have been rising.

I *really* thought the 3pt shooting woes for Morsell/Stattmann/Woldetensae would have resolved by 10 or so games into the season. These guys are nailing 3s at a good clip in practices and pregames (as well as demonstrated solid-very good shooting at other levels), but it just doesn't translate to games. The recruiting misses we had in 17 and 18 are *really* rearing their ugly heads now. With a program soooo based on player development - to unexpectedly lose Guy (and Jerome to a lesser extent)... it's left us pretty bare on the perimeter. If we came up short of the FF last year, we'd almost definitely keep Guy, and *probably* Jerome too. That said, I'll trade a title last year for a tough season this year in a heartbeat.

Still think that given the general horribleness of the ACC overall (and CBB in general to a lesser extent) we can still compete for top 4 in the league and an NCAA bid. Unlike previous seasons though, those things are not certainties, and we'll have to compete our butts off to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    We (UVA) were bad yesterday. BAD. I really think we're worse now than we were at the beginning of the season. The players are finally starting to let the shooting woes affect them mentally. Defense has actually declined (despite still being first nationally) over the last month or so, and turnover rates have been rising.

I *really* thought the 3pt shooting woes for Morsell/Stattmann/Woldetensae would have resolved by 10 or so games into the season. These guys are nailing 3s at a good clip in practices and pregames (as well as demonstrated solid-very good shooting at other levels), but it just doesn't translate to games. The recruiting misses we had in 17 and 18 are *really* rearing their ugly heads now. With a program soooo based on player development - to unexpectedly lose Guy (and Jerome to a lesser extent)... it's left us pretty bare on the perimeter. If we came up short of the FF last year, we'd almost definitely keep Guy, and *probably* Jerome too. That said, I'll trade a title last year for a tough season this year in a heartbeat.

Still think that given the general horribleness of the ACC overall (and CBB in general to a lesser extent) we can still compete for top 4 in the league and an NCAA bid. Unlike previous seasons though, those things are not certainties, and we'll have to compete our butts off to get there.
    That's a no-brainer!

"...Sweet Caroline
    (Let's Go Pitt)
    I've been inclined
    (Let's Go Pitt)..."

And in Philadelphia they throw snow balls at Santa.

This is definitely a Pitt thing. PSU may have "borrowed" it because there is a large Pittsburgh contingent at PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And in Philadelphia they throw snow balls at Santa.

This is definitely a Pitt thing. PSU may have "borrowed" it because there is a large Pittsburgh contingent at PSU.
    I've never noticed this at Pitt games (during commercials, etc) - then again, I've rarely noticed full stands at Pitt. What year were some of these from? Anyway, I found myself almost saying "Let's Go Pitt" in the refrain...that's not a half bad thing....

Ha! I had no idea it was a Penn State thing.

Lemme get home tonight and I'll link some of the articles 'splaining it. I remember (not totally reliable) reading that other pro/college teams have randomly/repeatedly sung it but I first learned about it visiting friends in the Pitt section at WW during the 58-55 (?) game several years ago.
    Here's one article from 2010:

"How 'Sweet Caroline' became the Pitt fans' singalong"

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201011260183

Another from 2018:

"Touching me, touching you: The story behind ‘Sweet Caroline’ at Pitt"

https://pittnews.com/article/136067/...oline-at-pitt/

I didn't read each one completely but there's probably a good deal of overlap.