Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We can all not like Brady if we want to, but there's zero chance he demands the Pats back up the Brinks truck for a one or two year contract. He has repeatedly taken less money than his peers in order to keep his supporting cast around.
    Or maybe not zero.

Report: Brady won't give Pats 'hometown discount'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869826-tom-brady-rumors-qb-wont-give-patriots-hometown-discount-on-new-contract?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial &utm_medium=referral

Or maybe not zero.

Report: Brady won't give Pats 'hometown discount'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral
    That may be true, but what is the going market rate for a 43 year old QB who's best years are behind him? Getting him (relatively) cheaply won't necessarily mean he took a hometown discount at this point.

What a great weekend of games. Sucks that Wentz went out. Admittedly as a Seahawks fan, I felt the helmet contact was incidental. He fell into him and unfortunately fell on his helmet. The lack of mention from Collinsworth and Michaels makes me think they agree.

If I were an Eagles fan, I would probably feel differently.
    You are looking at that thru Blue and Green color glasses...that hit was, beyond debate, the following:

NOT LATE: Wentz was not down.
    NOT NEEDED: but that's not relevant, a lot of hits are that way and lega.
    RESULT OF LOWERED HEAD: the idea that Clowney's helmet to helmet contact being incidental is beyond logic to me. It was a dirty hit.

And I am a Clowney fan, having deep ties to U of South Carolina, and could care less about either Seahawks or Eagles.

I'm sorry, but watching it real time, it just does not look all that dangerous or intentional. I think the slo-mo replays make it look worse, like Clowney had time to aim and the such.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You are looking at that thru Blue and Green color glasses...that hit was, beyond debate, the following:

NOT LATE: Wentz was not down.
    NOT NEEDED: but that's not relevant, a lot of hits are that way and lega.
    RESULT OF LOWERED HEAD: the idea that Clowney's helmet to helmet contact being incidental is beyond logic to me. It was a dirty hit.

And I am a Clowney fan, having deep ties to U of South Carolina, and could care less about either Seahawks or Eagles.
    I mean, the refs clarified postgame that it didn't warrant a flag, but okay.

I'm not saying Clowney is an altar boy, but he seemed genuine in his postgame comments.

Football is a violent game, and injuries suck. I don't respect players who are headhunters, regardless of uniform.

NFL rules are now genuinely, literally, inexplicable.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    NFL rules are now genuinely, literally, inexplicable.
    As the umpire said when asked if a pitch was a ball or strike: "It ain't nothing 'til I call it."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm sorry, but watching it real time, it just does not look all that dangerous or intentional. I think the slo-mo replays make it look worse, like Clowney had time to aim and the such.
    Interesting. When I watched that video, which is not in slow motion, I had the exact opposite reaction. Clowney just dives head first into Carson's head. It looks intentional to me.

On another note, since this is a playoff thread, we can stop talking about TB12 and the Pats...they aren't in the playoffs any longer :-)
    Last edited by elvis14; 01-06-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: but wait, there's more...

yeah, I'm really not exaggerating about his fixation...he's completely dedicated himself to diets and exercise regimens which he feel will help him accomplish his goal (these regimens have been the source of some conflict within the Pats organization)...He's not going to go to some bad team simply to play longer, but he's going to make a concerted effort to be high level competitive for several more years at least.
    I think he can play, but this is the first year I watched and thought this guy has clearly declined. Everyone blames the receivers but Brady reminds me of a lot of great players who have declined. They can occasionally make a terrific play, but they lose consistency.

Still, I have to tip my hat to him. From 6th round draft pick to the Hall of Fame. And Belichick, while prickly, is the best coach of anything I have ever seen. Everything in the NFL is designed to enforce parity and the Patriots (of whom I am not a fan) have done things I can't imagine being replicated by another coach or organization.

Brady is pretty much fixated on the notion of showing people he can play until he's 45...either the Pats get him better players to play with, or he goes to a contender elsewhere...and I think he'll give up a lot of salary to do that.
    Plus Giselle probably doesn't want him around the house.
    I think if it had been up to Belichick he would have traded or release Brady in 2017 and kept Jimmy G.

Of course they did. It takes something mega egregious for them not to stand by the call (or non call). Clowney is a very gifted and strong athlete...his head was not out of control, it was right where he aimed it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I think if it had been up to Belichick he would have traded or release Brady in 2017 and kept Jimmy G.
    yeah, I agree with you guys, Brady has definitely declined some (in addition to having a weaker supporting cast) and it would be most Belichickian to get rid of him at his peak...Jimmy G. got sick of finding black widow spiders
    in his underwear, took that as a hint Brady wanted him gone. Tom was not a nurturing mentor.

I'm an Eagles fan, and I thought the hit should've been called.. I won't call JC a "dirty" player, as I'm not sure he has a history of trying to injure people, and I really don't think he was trying to injure Carson. But I watch quite a bit of NFL games, and I've seen far far less violent contact on QBs called "unnecessary roughness." I've seen flags for just breathing on Brady, and I've seen numerous flags for helmet-to-helmet when the contact was clearly "incidental" and players were moving very fast. In these bang-bang plays, in the last few years the referees have clearly emphasized giving the benefit of the call to the QB getting hit in a well-publicized attempt to protect QBs. I've seen it over and over again and now, a bang-bang play in the playoffs, and they call nothing!!!???? Huh??? Clowney couldn't control spearing another player's helmet into the ground?? I don't get it at all. And FWIW, I don't necessarily think the Eagles would've won the game with Wentz, as almost the entire starting offense is injured. It was just hard as a fan who watches this get called the opposite way week in, week out to see my star QB go out for the game, and then watch Clowney make tackle after tackle while remaining IN the game!

Sorry to interrupt the Pats discussion (no longer in the playoffs, thank goodness)

The 4 games this past weekend:

- Bills/Texans - I had no idea, wanted Texas to win because of Deshaun but I do feel bad for the long suffering Bills
    - Brady's/Titans - I was sure that the Titans would lose. I was wrong. Derrick Henry is a beast. Well done Tenn!
    - Hawks/Eagles - I thought the Eagles were to beat up to beat the Hawks, then Wentz got hurt
    - Saints/Vikings - I thought DB9 would get it done, I was wrong. Happy for Captain Kirk, however. Also I think getting Thieland back somewhat healthy is HUGE for the Vikings

Next Weekend:

- Chiefs/Texans - I'm picking the Chiefs here, will their defense really show up? Texans can beat and lose to anyone.
    - Ravens/Titans - We will see if the Titans can prove me wrong again, I think Jackson and the Ravens are too much for them
    - 49ers/Vikings - I think the 49ers win this but I think it's going to be a close game
    - Packers/Seahawks - I just haven't been impressed with the Packers, picking the Seahawks but rooting for the Packers

Well

I'm not saying Clowney is an altar boy, but he seemed genuine in his postgame comments.

Football is a violent game, and injuries suck. I don't respect players who are headhunters, regardless of uniform.
    The refs rarely say "We missed an obvious penalty" nor "if it was Tom Brady we would have called a penalty,"

Clowney has to appear genuine even if he is acting. He is not to smile when he explains what happened and he is not going to say 'I did my job. Injured the QB so we could win the game."

Go Packers

Granted head to head contact is dangerous.these guys get paid insanely well to play a violent sport.they are not made to play.they have options .
    Qbs used to take some punishment.they get babied a lot now .it isnt for thier health its to protect the owners investment period .i do believe in some saftey rules .if you dont want the qb to get hit make him a touch player and cut his salary .i did not think clowney did anything other than his job.
    Which is to annihilate anyone with the ball.
    Offense should block better they are paid well also.

I think he can play, but this is the first year I watched and thought this guy has clearly declined. Everyone blames the receivers but Brady reminds me of a lot of great players who have declined. They can occasionally make a terrific play, but they lose consistency.

Still, I have to tip my hat to him. From 6th round draft pick to the Hall of Fame. And Belichick, while prickly, is the best coach of anything I have ever seen. Everything in the NFL is designed to enforce parity and the Patriots (of whom I am not a fan) have done things I can't imagine being replicated by another coach or organization.
    So what you're saying is that all the other coaches and organizations are honest.

Weather Report

Looks like the weather won't be a major factor for any of the games. Bit of rain for the Saturday games; cold but not frigid in Green Bay.

Santa Clara, CA 1:35 PT, Saturday: Occasional rain showers. High 56. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Balt 8:15 ET, Saturday: Occasional rain showers. High 65 low 59.. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

KC 2:05 CT, Sunday: Mostly sunny skies. High 41, low 32. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.

GB 5:40 CT Sunday: Snow showers before noon. Becoming partly cloudy later. High 27 low 25. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    So what you're saying is that all the other coaches and organizations are honest.
    No what i am saying is that Bill Belichick is the best coach I have ever seen in the 45 years I have been watching sports. I am not a Patriots fan.

No what i am saying is that Bill Belichick is the best coach I have ever seen in the 45 years I have been watching sports. I am not a Patriots fan.
    I’ll take Coach K. If Belichick wants to outclass K, he is going to have to prove he can win without TB12.