Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Documentaries

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    The western Hudson Bay has frozen over early again, 3rd year in a row. Maybe some good news?
    Can you source that? And can we stick to documentaries and not opinions on climate change? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Can you source that? And can we stick to documentaries and not opinions on climate change? Thanks.
    Here is one source.There are several.https://electroverse.net/whs-polar-b...-too-much-ice/

And I was just talking about a documentary. Climate change was not the intent, rather the numbers of polar bears was. Polar bears are not as dependent on ice as many think. Never used the term 'Climate Change". Not a scientist here. But I have read recently how some are teaching kids and the uninformed that polar bears are in eminent danger of extinction, which they aren't. Instead of using polar bears as their poster child, they ought to stick to animals that are really in danger, like the Sumatran tiger. As for Climate Change, I cannot say it's not happening. Not saying yes or no on that one because I am not a climate scientist.
    Again, my intent was merely to point out incorrect info I saw on the documentary.

Three Days of Terror: The Charlie Hebdo Attacks. Bringing to justice the terrorist responsible for Charlie Hebdo attack and the lone gunman at the kosher supermarket.
    Massive manhunt takes you on the trail of tracking by combined forces and intelligence gathering. Never before seen footage and photographs. Amazing interviews.
    Standoff at kosher supermarket is riveting.

Sound City. Produced and Directed by Dave Grohl. Story of legendary recording studio in Van Nuys. How great music is made is at the heart of the story.
    Rated 100% by professional critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Also, enjoyed the documentary on the Muscle Shoals recording studio.

The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years. Directed by Ron Howard. Very well done. I guess you could say people lost their minds over a little band.
    From the Cavern to the final concert at Candlestick Park. They had to be exhausted. Easy to understand why they escaped to the recording studio. WOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by roge054 View Post
    Three Days of Terror: The Charlie Hebdo Attacks. Bringing to justice the terrorist responsible for Charlie Hebdo attack and the lone gunman at the kosher supermarket.
    Massive manhunt takes you on the trail of tracking by combined forces and intelligence gathering. Never before seen footage and photographs. Amazing interviews.
    Standoff at kosher supermarket is riveting.

Sound City. Produced and Directed by Dave Grohl. Story of legendary recording studio in Van Nuys. How great music is made is at the heart of the story.
    Rated 100% by professional critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Also, enjoyed the documentary on the Muscle Shoals recording studio.

The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years. Directed by Ron Howard. Very well done. I guess you could say people lost their minds over a little band.
    From the Cavern to the final concert at Candlestick Park. They had to be exhausted. Easy to understand why they escaped to the recording studio. WOW!!
    Your last comment regarding the Beatles reminded me of an episode on a short documentary that ran here on our PBS station a few months ago. The series dealt with various aspects of recording engineering associated with pop music.

One episode focused specifically on the Beatles with quite a lot of input from Sir George Martin. They got into a lot of details about how their music was recorded in studio once they stopped touring - since the crowds had become so overwhelming that the Beatles could barely hear their own playing.

It was a neat look behind the scenes at how they worked - and the technical wizardry of Sir George. There was also a fair amount of commentary from contemporary musicians who were stunned by what they were hearing in the Beatles recordings since they recognized that much of it was impossible to create live.

Now I'll have to be a good boy and see if I can dig up the name of that series instead of just saying, "This was neat; good luck finding it on your own". I'll poke around and see what I can find.

"Now I'll have to be a good boy and see if I can dig up the name of that series instead of just saying, "This was neat; good luck finding it on your own". I'll poke around and see what I can find."

Thanks. That would be appreciated. Sounds like I would find it fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by roge054 View Post
    "Now I'll have to be a good boy and see if I can dig up the name of that series instead of just saying, "This was neat; good luck finding it on your own". I'll poke around and see what I can find."

Thanks. That would be appreciated. Sounds like I would find it fascinating.
    I did a little Googling, and I'm pretty sure the series was "Soundbreaking: The Art of Recording". I'm not positive since I couldn't find any place where I could actually replay the episode to be sure. But the associated graphics and description appear to be the same. And what I did find included numerous references pointing out that the series (there were eight parts; the Beatles are in the first episode) had been recognized for quite a few awards because of its quality.

So I hope I'm pointing you in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Your last comment regarding the Beatles reminded me of an episode on a short documentary that ran here on our PBS station a few months ago. The series dealt with various aspects of recording engineering associated with pop music.

One episode focused specifically on the Beatles with quite a lot of input from Sir George Martin. They got into a lot of details about how their music was recorded in studio once they stopped touring - since the crowds had become so overwhelming that the Beatles could barely hear their own playing.

It was a neat look behind the scenes at how they worked - and the technical wizardry of Sir George. There was also a fair amount of commentary from contemporary musicians who were stunned by what they were hearing in the Beatles recordings since they recognized that much of it was impossible to create live.

Now I'll have to be a good boy and see if I can dig up the name of that series instead of just saying, "This was neat; good luck finding it on your own". I'll poke around and see what I can find.
    On the subject of music documentaries...none of these are remotely new, but if you haven't seen them you should check them out.

Muscle Shoals Great documentary about the Swampers, the Muscle Shoals scene in general, and several great artists that came through there (no spoilers but there is basically something for everyone in there). Used to be on Netflix although I don't think it is anymore.

It Might Get Loud
    - One of my absolute favorites. Gives backstory on Jimmy Page, Jack White, and the Edge with conversations, new performances/songs for the documentary, some jamming with the three subjects. All around very cool, even managed to make me not hate U2/The Edge quite so much. If you like any of these guitar players, even if you can't stand the other two, I can't recommend this highly enough. The Led Zeppelin footage is to die​ for. Try to watch it where you can turn up the volume a little

Under the Great Northern Light - A sort of documentary/live album combo. Follows the White Stripes on tour in Canada with some behind the scenes footage, interviews/conversations, and a bunch of highlights from the various shows. I'm admittedly a huge Jack White/White Stripes fan, but this is a great watch for casual fans as well!

It came out in 2012 and won an academy award for documentaries, so I’m late to the party. But I saw (finally) “Searching for Sugarman” on Netflix. Really interesting and a subject I’d never heard of. Well worth viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    The western Hudson Bay has frozen over early again, 3rd year in a row. Maybe some good news?
    Threatened or vulnerable listings are fundamentally a future-oriented status. They say, based on x, z, and z trend (these almost always include habitat loss/fragmentation or over-consumption by people...see Chinese Paddlefish in the news today), we believe this species is likely to face endangerment in the future. So, sure, I hope the Polar Bear's future is bright but until any of the wildlife agencies responsible for such things change it's status in a positive way, then I'm not personally optimistic.

My original point was to say that if your documentary said the polar bear was listed as endangered then I agree, it was inaccurate. It wouldn't necessarily surprise me if they were using the term generally and not status-specifically, which is common but misleading. I also thought your point about polar bear numbers moving from 10K to 30K from the 1960s to today, while correct, suggested that was the species' entire story, which of course it is not. You're obviously a wildlife lover so you know threats to animals are like a whack-a-mole game, just because we successfully solve one (over-hunting) doesn't mean another won't pop up (habitat loss or human encroachment).

And, of course, there's all sorts of things that could happen to the polar bear species. I've seen a few reports that they're adapting in different ways, heading south, beginning to mate with grizzlies more to produce the Pizzly Bear...nothing scientific, just the odd story. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Threatened or vulnerable listings are fundamentally a future-oriented status. They say, based on x, z, and z trend (these almost always include habitat loss/fragmentation or over-consumption by people...see Chinese Paddlefish in the news today), we believe this species is likely to face endangerment in the future. So, sure, I hope the Polar Bear's future is bright but until any of the wildlife agencies responsible for such things change it's status in a positive way, then I'm not personally optimistic.

My original point was to say that if your documentary said the polar bear was listed as endangered then I agree, it was inaccurate. It wouldn't necessarily surprise me if they were using the term generally and not status-specifically, which is common but misleading. I also thought your point about polar bear numbers moving from 10K to 30K from the 1960s to today, while correct, suggested that was the species' entire story, which of course it is not. You're obviously a wildlife lover so you know threats to animals are like a whack-a-mole game, just because we successfully solve one (over-hunting) doesn't mean another won't pop up (habitat loss or human encroachment).

And, of course, there's all sorts of things that could happen to the polar bear species. I've seen a few reports that they're adapting in different ways, heading south, beginning to mate with grizzlies more to produce the Pizzly Bear...nothing scientific, just the odd story. Who knows.
    What? That sounds interesting as all get out. I'll have to look into that.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking