View Poll Results: How many wins will the ACC "regular season" champion get this year?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll

1 2.13%

1 2.13%

7 14.89%

24 51.06%

11 23.40%

3 6.38%

0 0%
  • 13 or less

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Now you’ve done it!

The damn calliope crashed to the ground!
    Dudulu Dudulu Dudulu Dudulu Dudulu Dudulu Dudulu Dudulu

Dudulu Dudulu Dudulu Dudulu whaaaaaaaaa . . . ..

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    @NCSU is a strong hidden candidate since we often lost over there when we should not (2010, 2015).
    If that were really the pattern, I would take a loss in Raleigh to ensure a national championship later. Unfortunately, according to Sports Reference, Duke has also lost at NC State in 2013 and 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    We definitely have an easy conference schedule this season, especially if UNC continues to struggle and/or deal with injuries. Similar to what UNC had last season and what we had two seasons ago. We play three out of our first four on the road, but otherwise it’s hard to complain.
    After those next 4 games, there will likely be some complaining with having three straight home games (Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh) followed by three straight road games (at Syracuse, at Boston College, at UNC). Not unfair, but not exactly easy either.

Twice this conference season Duke has a game just 2 days after a previous game: 2/8 at UNC and 2/10 vs. FSU; 2/29 at UVA and 3/2 vs. NCSU. I couldn't tell you if that's more or less fair than any other ACC team -- it helps that each time the second game is in Cameron, and dealing with the quick turnaround could prepare Duke for the postseason -- but I can tell you that there will likely be some complaining then as well.

Yep

I think 18 is high. 16 would be my number. Split with the CHeats (they are terrible now but will get Anthony back and the rivalry games are almost always close), lose one among Louisville/UVA/FSU (each of whom we only play once), then another two random unexpected losses where we just don’t have it that day and/or our opponent is on fire.
    16 was my pick, for the reasons you list.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    16 was my pick, for the reasons you list.
    I just cannot see Duke or Louisville finishing their season 14-4. That assumes Duke drops two random games to poor ACC teams AND drops 2 of the FSU/UNC/UL/@FSU/@UNC games.

I think this duke team is better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    I just cannot see Duke or Louisville finishing their season 14-4.
    There are 20 conference games not 18.
    Bob Green

Well

I just cannot see Duke or Louisville finishing their season 14-4. That assumes Duke drops two random games to poor ACC teams AND drops 2 of the FSU/UNC/UL/@FSU/@UNC games.

T-Rank predicts Duke goes 17-3 and L'ville 16-4. I'd take that, but expect Duke to lose more than three.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    There are 20 conference games not 18.
    Duke is already 2-0, I feel like those should count.

Ah, I interpreted “finishing 14-4” as final record rather than from this point forward.
    Bob Green

Any interest in wagering that neither team finishes 16-4 or worse? I'll definitely take the side that at least one of them will finish 16-4 or worse, and I believe you are underestimating the conference, even if it is a down year.

I am going to guess 17-3 gets it done. I think that will be Duke with Louisville coming in second at 16-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Any interest in wagering that neither team finishes 16-4 or worse? I'll definitely take the side that at least one of them will finish 16-4 or worse, and I believe you are underestimating the conference, even if it is a down year.
    Those predicting 2 or 3 losses are also presuming the team stays healthy for the whole season, something that has not happened since as long as I can remember. Of course, I wouldn't mind if it happened this season (starting now)...

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    I am going to guess 17-3 gets it done. I think that will be Duke with Louisville coming in second at 16-4.
    I agree with this ^ but I will dream of 20-0. It COULD happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Poorly phrased on my part. I would be happy to wager that ONE team will finish with 17 wins — which was my answer to this thread in an admittedly clumsy way.

Those predicting 2 or 3 losses are also presuming the team stays healthy for the whole season, something that has not happened since as long as I can remember. Of course, I wouldn't mind if it happened this season (starting now)...
    This team seems much better equipped to handle an injury or two. I’d even argue that an injury to anyone not named Vernon or Tre wouldn’t do a whole terrible lot to the team as a whole.

But yes, my prediction of 17-3 assumes a reasonable level of health.

At this point the most conference wins any team can achieve is 16, which means that at least 33 of the 47 poll participants have over-estimated. I feel like I was more conservative than most when I said that Duke would go 16-4, with the following breakdown:

I think 18 is high. 16 would be my number. Split with the CHeats (they are terrible now but will get Anthony back and the rivalry games are almost always close), lose one among Louisville/UVA/FSU (each of whom we only play once), then another two random unexpected losses where we just don’t have it that day and/or our opponent is on fire.
    As it turns out, the first rivalry game was close, we have lost TWO among UL/UVA/FSU, and we did have have two random unexpected losses PLUS another reasonable loss to Clemson. Hoping we don't split with the CHeats though.

I said 15, and that's looking pretty good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I said 15, and that's looking pretty good right now.
    That number is still optimistic. Not so sure we sweep this week.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That number is still optimistic. Not so sure we sweep this week.
    This prediction is a prediction of how many the ACC Winner will have....that was, and is, not necessarily Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This prediction is a prediction of how many the ACC Winner will have...that was, and is, not necessarily Duke.
    Remaining games for the top four schools
    FSU (14-4): @ND, vs. BC
    Louisville (14-4): vs. VT, @UVA
    Virginia (13-5): @Miami, vs. Louisville
    Duke (13-5): vs. NCSU, vs. UNC-CHeat

Right now FSU is in the best position, they have two games against weak opponents and they hold the tie-breaker over Louisville. If UVA beats Louisville which is not too hard to imagine then things get interesting. Assuming we can win out, that would leave a three-way tie for second place. And if FSU loses also drops another game, we'd have a crazy four-way tie.

I think the safe money is on FSU to win out leaving 16 as the correct number, in which case I will collectively congratulate myself and my 10 friends who voted that way.

Remaining games for the top four schools
    FSU (14-4): @ND, vs. BC
    Louisville (14-4): vs. VT, @UVA
    Virginia (13-5): @Miami, vs. Louisville
    Duke (13-5): vs. NCSU, vs. UNC-CHeat

Right now FSU is in the best position, they have two games against weak opponents and they hold the tie-breaker over Louisville. If UVA beats Louisville which is not too hard to imagine then things get interesting. Assuming we can win out, that would leave a three-way tie for second place. And if FSU loses also drops another game, we'd have a crazy four-way tie.

I think the safe money is on FSU to win out leaving 16 as the correct number, in which case I will collectively congratulate myself and my 10 friends who voted that way.
    At this point, FSU with 16 would be the bet to make. And yep, all who picked 16 pre season would have nailed it.