Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Every professional sports league has an unbalanced schedule. They still recognize regular season winners. And for that matter, the ACC Tournament itself is inherently “unbalanced.”
    Yeah, no kidding that professional sports leagues have an unbalanced schedule and recognize regular season winners. And?

As an FYI, the topic was not professional sports leagues. We were discussing the ACC, which used to have a balanced schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Exactly. If you’re not doing a complete home-and-home with every team in the league there is no legitimate way to determine a true champion in the regular season. An unbalanced schedule is by definition, well, unbalanced.
    Are we allowed to use the term "unbalanced?" Isn't there a more politically correct term available? "Inequitably challenging?" "Disparately competitive?"

I noticed Wendell dribbled into the lane 2-3 times this game and instead of forcing up a shot in traffic, he kicked it back outside as the defense collapsed. Loved seeing this development. And with this threat to drive and kick, he will see more open scoring opportunities.

I was the reporter who asked the question, which was with 15 teams in the ACC and the balanced schedule a thing of the past, does the ACC regular-season title still mean as much as it used to.

Krzyzewski talked over much of the question but he answered the question and addressed the subtexts of the question. He gave me what I wanted, so there was no reason for a follow-up.

And I'm feeling quite put together, than you very much.

Like most veteran coaches Krzyzewski sometimes spins questions so that he's answering the question he wants to answer not necessarily the question he was asked. But as long as Duke celebrates regular-season titles I think it's fair to keep track of them or their absence.

Maybe he didn't like the question or maybe he didn't like the way it was phrased. But he sure seemed to have thought about it. And do we really want media events in which coaches are only asked questions they want asked?
    Last edited by jimsumner; 01-01-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The reporter began by stating that Duke has not won the regular season ACC title since 2010. Before he could even get to his actual question, K interrupted him and said “which would you rather win?” It was one of those moments where it felt like K was expecting the question and already had a response teed up. IMO he was also including ACCT tournament titles in his response, saying that those and of course National Titles are what he cares about.
    To each his own, and I certainly understand why others disagree given the unbalanced schedule and the fact that the ACC recognizes it's Tourney champion as the ACC Champion. However, which would I rather win? I'd rather win the ACC regular season championship (whether it exists or not). That is because I believe that the ACC Regular Season champion is almost always guaranteed to get a #1 seed in the NCAAT by virtue of what that means they just did in usually one of the top conferences (many years the top conference).

Losing one game and getting bounced from the ACCT can happen to anybody. The committee to me doesn't usually seem to prioritize conference tourney success with seeding nearly as much as conference regular season standing. (Calipari has whined about this before.) Of course other things matter like who you beat and played out of conference. But for an ACCTeam, usually if you're good enough to win the conference regular season you have legitimately earned a 1 seed.

I'm guessing K meant he'd rather win National Championships with his "which would you rather win?" Obviously. But winning the ACC regular season means a lot to me because of what that entails going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I wasn't able to see the game, thanks to Comcast and the ACCN...
    The ACC Digital Network has posted a condensed game on YouTube. (As I understand it, if you add evaporated milk and heavy cream, you get Tres Jones.)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I was the reporter who asked the question, which was with 15 teams in the ACC and the balanced schedule a thing of the past, does the ACC regular-season title still mean as much as it used to.

Krzyzewski talked over much of the question but he answered the question and addressed the subtexts of the question. He gave me what I wanted, so there was no reason for a follow-up.

And I'm feeling quite put together, than you very much.

Like most veteran coaches Krzyzewski sometimes spins questions so that he's answering the question he wants to answer not necessarily the question he was asked. But as long as Duke celebrates regular-season titles I think it's fair to keep track of them or their absence.

Maybe he didn't like the question or maybe he didn't like the way it was phrased. But he sure seemed to have thought about it. And do we really want media events in which coaches are only asked questions they want asked?
    Coach K is a veteran coach, but you're a veteran reporter. Out of curiosity, (1) why ask that question and (2) why ask it now? Specifically...

(1) Is Coach K not already on the record on the subject? I thought he was, but I'm no expert.

(2) You're at the press conferences, and have a much better sense of opportunity than I would, but I wonder if the best time to ask a question about regular season titles is after the second ACC game. Doesn't the question mean more (to him and to your readers) later in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The ACC Digital Network has posted a condensed game on YouTube. (As I understand it, if you add evaporated milk and heavy cream, you get Tres Jones.)

Coach K is a veteran coach, but you're a veteran reporter. Out of curiosity, (1) why ask that question and (2) why ask it now? Specifically...

(1) Is Coach K not already on the record on the subject? I thought he was, but I'm no expert.

(2) You're at the press conferences, and have a much better sense of opportunity than I would, but I wonder if the best time to ask a question about regular season titles is after the second ACC game. Doesn't the question mean more (to him and to your readers) later in the season?
    First ACC home game of the season, beginning of the ACC regular-season journey.

Coach's position on the subject has evolved over the years. At one time it was a very big deal.

For many, many years the narrative at Duke was that Duke was after championships, an early-season tournament, the ACC regular-season, the ACC Tournament, building to the NCAA Tournament. One stepping stone leading to another, each championship teaching the team how to win the next.

Is that still the narrative? If not, then why not? Seems like a valid question to me and I think K answered a good portion of that.

Of course your mileage may vary and I appreciate your input.

But I'm a bit surprised that people are making a big deal about this. K does this sort of thing all the time, massaging a question into sending a message about his team/program/season. Another day at the office.

Coach's position on the subject has evolved over the years. At one time it was a very big deal.

For many, many years the narrative at Duke was that Duke was after championships, an early-season tournament, the ACC regular-season, the ACC Tournament, building to the NCAA Tournament. One stepping stone leading to another, each championship teaching the team how to win the next.

Is that still the narrative? If not, then why not? Seems like a valid question to me and I think K answered a good portion of that.

But I'm a bit surprised that people are making a big deal about this. K does this sort of thing all the time, massaging a question into sending a message about his team/program/season. Another day at the office.
    Thanks for your good work Jim.

I am so jealous at the thought of working "with" Coach K to handle news/publicity for the team, while also matching wits with him to frame the narrative. I am certain you can hear him winking at you on occasion when he mangles your question to deliver an answer he wants to publish.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Good reference; we remember Zion for so many great things, but he also made very effective use of the glass.

On the topic of Wendell Moore, he seems close to breaking to another level of play. And some of the next steps seem possible -- finishing better near the rim, and not dribbling into traffic.
    I would just add that WM needs to learn to go left and develop a mid-range game (to the extent that has any value in a 3-point crazed environment).

Yes, but

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I noticed Wendell dribbled into the lane 2-3 times this game and instead of forcing up a shot in traffic, he kicked it back outside as the defense collapsed. Loved seeing this development. And with this threat to drive and kick, he will see more open scoring opportunities.
    At least once when he did so the pass was tipped and let to a BC fast break. I thought Wendell struggled a bit in this one. He's going to be very good, but it will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I am so jealous at the thought of working "with" Coach K to handle news/publicity for the team, while also matching wits with him to frame the narrative. I am certain you can hear him winking at you on occasion when he mangles your question to deliver an answer he wants to publish.
    Beats working for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    At least once when he did so the pass was tipped and let to a BC fast break. I thought Wendell struggled a bit in this one. He's going to be very good, but it will take time.
    Wendell reminds me a lot of Justise Winslow in size and versatility.

FWIW, Justise struggled some in January but was gang-busters in February, March...and April.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    To each his own, and I certainly understand why others disagree given the unbalanced schedule and the fact that the ACC recognizes it's Tourney champion as the ACC Champion. However, which would I rather win? I'd rather win the ACC regular season championship (whether it exists or not). That is because I believe that the ACC Regular Season champion is almost always guaranteed to get a #1 seed in the NCAAT by virtue of what that means they just did in usually one of the top conferences (many years the top conference).
    I will take either one and my answer has evolved over the years. When it was a balanced schedule I would have leaned toward winning the regular season, though the excitement of winning the tourney is something that never grows old. Now with the expansion and unbalanced schedule I would rather win the tourney. This is a good debate and something I have thought often about over the years. My answer is just my preference. It doesn't make me right or wrong.

Justise

FWIW, Justise struggled some in January but was gang-busters in February, March...and April.
    True, but Justise was more impressive in November-December than Wendell has been thus far, at least in my increasingly poor memory.

True, but Justise was more impressive in November-December than Wendell has been thus far, at least in my increasingly poor memory.
    Winslow suffered badly bruised ribs in the Miami loss and struggled until he got past that.

Moore reminds me of Tatum...strong , skilled , reckless...hoping he develops the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The ACC regular season title is a made up thing of fiction. Since the end of the round robin it has not officially existed. One team is given the #1 seed in the tournament, but there is no official recognition of a regular season champion by the league.
    The league not only has listed the regular season champions on its website (which appears to be down right now so I can't provide a link), but also gives out a trophy. Though it's a poor picture, here is the trophy case from JPJ arena, showing UVA's recent regular season trophies along with their tournament trophies.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqraZUCX4AAsNoO.jpg:large
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    I would just add that WM needs to learn to go left and develop a mid-range game (to the extent that has any value in a 3-point crazed environment).
    Sounds like the wishlist for 85% of athletic college wings (see Henderson, Gerald, for example) over the past 10-15 years with hopes of making it in the League.

Yes, that happened. But my point is that Wendell typically drives with his eyes only on the rim. I’m sure it worked really well for him in high school but not at this level. In this game he really seemed to be driving with options in mind. I see it as good progress. And yes, I also think his conversion rate inside would be a lot higher if he used the glass more.