Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I'm positively shocked that someone hasn't manned up an issued an apology to Alex.

I'd venture the early start had a lot to do with the ugly play for most of the game. Factor in the long layoff and we could easily have joined ranked teams that have been bitten by the upset bug this season.
    been there, done that.

I was really impressed with Jack's play today. He seemed to be especially fired up, more so than usual. I felt his play kept us ahead when Brown was still trying to make a game of it.

Is Jack the most athletic player on the team?

It doesn't look like he outjumps people, but he gets more rebounds in his area than any other player gets in their area. He also gets a surprising number of blocks.

Carey, DeLaurier, Hurt, Baker are all taller, as well as perhaps Moore and AOC. Yet, Jack seems to be our second most effective player in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    He is tough as nails and has a great motor. Rebounding is about timing and position. Jack is athletic but I am not sure he is the most athletic. The word means different things to different people.
    Bob Green

I'd venture the early start had a lot to do with the ugly play for most of the game. Factor in the long layoff and we could easily have joined ranked teams that have been bitten by the upset bug this season.
    It would be a shame to lose that undefeated record as well
    1200. DDMF.

Ugly game. Thanks to accfanfrom1970 I had the best seats I’ve ever had in Cameron, and was able to share that experience with one of my sons.

We seem to be a few pieces clicking away from being a really dangerous team.

Wishing Tre a full recovery and health for the rest of the season.

Always good to get the after Christmas game in rear view mirror

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Hard to complain about Carey when he put up such huge numbers, but he does seem to shy away from contact at times instead of going straight up at the basket. It took a while but we were finally able to get him the ball in positions to score and Brown just had no answer.
    This reminds me of an interesting point Nate James made on the Inside Basketball show. He talked about how bigs in college have to learn they can play more physical in college than in high school. If they had played that way in h.s. they would foul out every game but you're allowed to do much more in college, and of course, your opponents are much more physical too.

Apparently, Carey didn't play much in the post in h.s. so he's learning the position while also learning to ramp up the aggressiveness. And who better to teach that than Nate?

I thought outside of our abysmal 3-point shooting, we actually played well today minus our most important player. Great to see AOC knock down some shots. We need his strong shooting to reach our potential this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I thought outside of our abysmal 3-point shooting, we actually played well today minus our most important player. Great to see AOC knock down some shots. We need his strong shooting to reach our potential this year.
    the effort to start the game was a bit lackluster, but K straightened that out. The lack of shooting (and the early spurt of good shooting from brown) made some things look worse than I think they ought to have appeared.
    1200. DDMF.

I was just glad our 1000+ game streak of making a 3 is still intact. Was getting nervous there in the second half. Thanks AOC! Didn't want two mind boggling streaks to be caput this year (the other being consecutive home non-conference wins...).

It doesn't look like he outjumps people, but he gets more rebounds in his area than any other player gets in their area. He also gets a surprising number of blocks.

Carey, DeLaurier, Hurt, Baker are all taller, as well as perhaps Moore and AOC. Yet, Jack seems to be our second most effective player in the post.
    He has great rebounding instincts. I think elite rebounding is more mental than physical - understanding timing and angles- although he must have very strong hands. I like seeing Jack looking to score inside. He likes contact and is a decent free throw shooter.

Listened to Coach K post game interview before I opined.His comment about Baker's off shooting night being a result of nerves and anxiety of starting for Joey's very first time. O'Connell played like a junior as did Goldwire. I understand the criticism of O'Connell. He has been terribly inconsistent. Moore has also been inconsistent. If in January we can get some consistency and more talking from all those not named Carey and Jones, we will be winning a lot of upcoming games.I don't know who that 3rd will be,but I think Stanley will be like his pre hamstring strain play.Moore was so overadulated by Dakich. He is a raw talent that is not that great at playing point guard. He will get better. Hurt needs to play a little more aggressive. Like to have all 3 3 pt shooters making their shots the same game.If Hurt,O'Connell and Baker were all shooting well,Carey would be 1 on 1 and be unstoppable. I still think playing without Jones will benefit this team.
    I just hope they start fast against Boston College.
    DeLaurier White and Robinson need to echo Coach K's post game message to the team. K complemented that this team is old school and have great attitude.
    Shout out to NC State grad and Jacksonville, NC native for being on the longest single spaceflight by a woman.
    https://www.wral.com/nc-astronaut-br...oman/18856498/
    Last edited by heyman25; 12-28-2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: adding another thought

Jack seems to be our second most effective player in the post.
    He definitely was in this game. I think we recognized that he often had a mismatch against a smaller defender and he was much more aggressive trying to score in the post than he typically is. And after grabbing offensive boards he looked to put it back up rather than turning and kicking it out. Really gutty effort by Jack in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    This reminds me of an interesting point Nate James made on the Inside Basketball show. He talked about how bigs in college have to learn they can play more physical in college than in high school.
    It just seemed odd to me that Carey has held his own against the big, strong, experienced bigs of Kansas and Michigan State yet in this game he had an overwhelming physical advantage and chose to fade away or shoot jump hooks rather than going up and dunking. If he had gotten called for an early offensive foul then I could see him not wanting to pick up an additional charge, but that never happened and it seemed like the refs were letting them play underneath.

I'm positively shocked that someone hasn't manned up an issued an apology to Alex.
    He played great today, even before knocking down those threes he showed good energy on defense. A couple times he picked up his man full court the whole way, which he doesn't usually do. Credit to him for not sulking at the end of the bench when Baker overtook him in the rotation but instead going out and doing the things required to earn playing time.

I have been hard on Alex, but voted for him for MOTM. Carey didn't dominate like he should have against an underwhelming Brown team.

I've always liked Alex. He's an absolute tormenter around the basket. In some ways he reminds me of Kyle Singler, albeit not in the body mass, fearless in the face of contact. A real banger.
    While Hurt is more sinewy, Alex has a quick release, too. More weight on both of them would be wonderful but that isn't happening any time soon.

Concerned about Joey being very excitable and obviously streaky. Wish Goldwire would take one more second to look harder for an option other than himself at times, although he does bring a spark when substituted.

These are good problems to have, though. A discussion about mostly bench guys?! Unheard of in years past!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Not ready to apologize yet, but Alex played well yesterday and may have saved his spot in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I was just glad our 1000+ game streak of making a 3 is still intact. Was getting nervous there in the second half. Thanks AOC! Didn't want two mind boggling streaks to be caput this year (the other being consecutive home non-conference wins...).
    Yes, thank you AOC!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I've always liked Alex. He's an absolute tormenter around the basket. In some ways he reminds me of Kyle Singler, albeit not in the body mass, fearless in the face of contact. A real banger.
    Hmm. "tormentor" and "Singler" would not have occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I have been hard on Alex, but voted for him for MOTM.
    Let's not get carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It just seemed odd to me that Carey has held his own against the big, strong, experienced bigs of Kansas and Michigan State yet in this game he had an overwhelming physical advantage and chose to fade away or shoot jump hooks rather than going up and dunking. If he had gotten called for an early offensive foul then I could see him not wanting to pick up an additional charge, but that never happened and it seemed like the refs were letting them play underneath.
    Carey is probably more comfortable going against bigger or taller players. A lot of players are like that. Small guys that can get into your kitchen, and who often get away with constant contact fouls that the officials won't call due to their subconscious, often bother bigger guys more than other bigger guys.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Carey is probably more comfortable going against bigger or taller players. A lot of players are like that. Small guys that can get into your kitchen, and who often get away with constant contact fouls that the officials won't call due to their subconscious, often bother bigger guys more than other bigger guys.
    Very true and can cause lower body injuries. Which Duke has been susceptible to over the years. GoDuke!

Carey dominated Brown when he had single coverage and did a nice job of passing out of the double team when he didn't. He had three assists but would have had a lot more had Duke made more than two 3-pointers.

But he did fumble away some rebounds. Six isn't a lot against Brown. The coaches have been on him about doing a better job of securing rebounds from reach-ins.

Sorry, but Alex does not remind me much (yet) of Kyle Singler. Would love for him to and I'm willing to keep an open mind for the next 15 months.

I do think Alex has one elite element to his game, however, that to me has always pointed to a very high ceiling.

Alex can create his jump shot at will. His elevation coupled with his high release point allows him to get his shot off against anyone, anytime - whether that's pulling up on a drive or shooting a 3 with a defender right in his face. And it's a beautiful looking shot. It reminds me a little of watching a pretty good 6'6" shooter named Klay Thompson.

If he can ever gain that killer confidence and consistently good stroke, I think he could average 16 a game for us - not saying that he will, but I've always felt like the potential was there. Maybe last game was a start. It would be amazing to have both Alex and Joey filling it up by tournament time.