Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    It would be amazing to have both Alex and Joey filling it up by tournament time.
    Add Hurt to that list.

One of the points K has made several times this season is that Duke seems to have several players playing well every game but never everyone. Duke could be incredible if all 10 players were on point in the same game. But a certain amount of inconsistency could be inevitable. But an offense in which Carey is surrounded by Baker, Hurt and O'Connell successfully bombing away from outside, Moore and Stanley slashing at will and Jones orchestrating it like a master, coupled with a lock-down defense that includes Jones, Goldwire, White and DeLaurier has a really high ceiling.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-30-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    One of the points K has made several times this season is that Duke seems to have several players playing well every game but never everyone. Duke could be incredible if all 10 players were on point in the same game. But a certain amount of inconsistency could be inevitable. But an offense in which Carey is surrounded by Baker, Hurt and O'Connell successfully bombing away from outside, Moore and Stanley slashing at will and Jones orchestrating it like a master, coupled with a lock-down defense that includes Jones, Goldwire, White and DeLaurier has a really high ceiling.
    Well, yeah, if we can put 10 guys on the court at once we'd look really good.

In all seriousness, the offense will probably look great (even right now) if Carey and Jones are surrounded by Hurt, Baker, and O'Connell. But the defense is likely to look quite bad in that scenario, even by season's end. Conversely, the defense will probably look spectacular with Jones, two of Goldwire/Stanley/Moore, White, and Carey/DeLaurier. But the offense would look shaky. The challenge is finding the right mix of the shooting threats with the defenders. We just don't have a lot of two-way players on this team.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-30-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, yeah, if we can put 10 guys on the court at once we'd look really good.

In all seriousness, the offense will probably look great (even right now) if Carey and Jones are surrounded by Hurt, Baker, and O'Connell. But the defense is likely to look quite bad in that scenario, even by season's end. Conversely, the defense will probably look spectacular with Jones, two of Goldwire/Stanley/Moore, White, and Carey/DeLaurier. But the offense would look shaky. The challenge is finding the right mix of the shooting threats with the defenders. We just don't have a lot of two-way players on this team.
    Good take. And very true.This bunch can be awesome, then turn around and be awful..Time will tell if the GOAT gets the correct mix.

It's that time of year!

With the new year of 2020 coming up, it's the time of year that Coach K begins to shorten his lineups for ACC play. If we are to believe the prognosticators(-23) tonight might not be the first game Coach does indeed shorten the lineup. We don't have that many players that are very good on both defense and offense. I think we may actually see the rotation shorten to around 9 players but not the same 9 players each game. For sure we'll see Tre and Vernon being our two most used players but after that it could get very interesting.

Others:
    Cassius has impressed me on defense and has a good looking jumper.
    Matthew seems to be a decent shooter and decent defender, but not a good rebounder.
    Joey is a good shooter but not a great defender.
    Alex is another good shooter . See Joey as a defender
    Jack is a good defender and rebounder but his offense is still a negative.
    Javin had played some really good games coming into the holiday break. I hated to see that interrupted. He's a good shot blocker and knows the Duke man2man.
    Goldwire has played good defense and actual shot better this season.
    Wendell plays pretty good defense but is yet to find his fit offensively. So far his outside shot is a question mark but his midrange shot looks good.

If I had to guess at a starting lineup it would be: Tre, Vernon, Cassius, White and one of Joey, Alex or Hurt. Minutes will be determined on how well Baker and O'Connell shoot it from 3 and how Hurt Improves his rebounding. Javin plays when spelling Vernon. Goldwire will get minutes because he can play defense and gives Duke another ball handler. When it comes to Wendell I don't have a clue to how Coach K is going to use him. So far it looks like Coach is going to use him as a ball handler(point forward).

All that to say; we still might see that 9 or 10 man rotation.

GoDuke!

Alex will likely get the start tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I hope he doesn't get starter's disease.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    That'll be very interesting to see and well-deserved IM(H)O. And, if he stinks up CIS, K might blame "starter's disease" as he was quoted in today's N&O when asked about Baker's not-too-good performance against Brown. I'd link it but it's pretty much subscription only now .

Edit: Oops, I see Jim beat me to it. I started my post about 330 PM but had some office work to do and just got back to finish it now.

Great minds and all that stuff...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    With the new year of 2020 coming up, it's the time of year that Coach K begins to shorten his lineups for ACC play. If we are to believe the prognosticators(-23) tonight might not be the first game Coach does indeed shorten the lineup. We don't have that many players that are very good on both defense and offense. I think we may actually see the rotation shorten to around 9 players but not the same 9 players each game. For sure we'll see Tre and Vernon being our two most used players but after that it could get very interesting.

Others:
    Cassius has impressed me on defense and has a good looking jumper.
    Matthew seems to be a decent shooter and decent defender, but not a good rebounder.
    Joey is a good shooter but not a great defender.
    Alex is another good shooter . See Joey as a defender
    Jack is a good defender and rebounder but his offense is still a negative.
    Javin had played some really good games coming into the holiday break. I hated to see that interrupted. He's a good shot blocker and knows the Duke man2man.
    Goldwire has played good defense and actual shot better this season.
    Wendell plays pretty good defense but is yet to find his fit offensively. So far his outside shot is a question mark but his midrange shot looks good.

If I had to guess at a starting lineup it would be: Tre, Vernon, Cassius, White and one of Joey, Alex or Hurt. Minutes will be determined on how well Baker and O'Connell shoot it from 3 and how Hurt Improves his rebounding. Javin plays when spelling Vernon. Goldwire will get minutes because he can play defense and gives Duke another ball handler. When it comes to Wendell I don't have a clue to how Coach K is going to use him. So far it looks like Coach is going to use him as a ball handler(point forward).

All that to say; we still might see that 9 or 10 man rotation.

GoDuke!
    I think that ten players, barring injury, will see substantial minutes over the rest of the year. And I take it, you'd be OK with that.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think that ten players, barring injury, will see substantial minutes over the rest of the year. And I take it, you'd be OK with that.
    Oh yeh!

GoDuke!