Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I suspect a real analysis of what Coach K has brought to Duke in terms of excellence and name recognition far exceeds what he has received in salary. Compare his salary to what a failed CEO such as Boeng’s recently fired guy made. I might add that I generally believe many coaches and CEOs are overpaid. When you are the best EVER then you earn and deserve every penny, and probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Well coaching is a funny thing. There are lots of people who can coach. One might argue that Tony Bennett has been just as successful as K of late and is paid on order 3M. Same for Roy Williams who makes the same. Coaches should receive a base salary and then get incentives. Paying K three times as much based on past performance is a bit odd to me.

Since his salary is so large - it constrains what the University can do in athletics. Good assistant coaches in football need to get paid. Again- I understand what value K has brought over time- but his salary is very large.
    You don't give up do you? The Bennett analogy is very flawed. Just as Dabo wasn't paid like Saban until a few years after he got Clemson on the same plane, the same situation is at UVa vis a vis Duke. The man who brings the most revenue to the ACC now is Dabo, followed by K, FWIW.

As for K constraining what the university can do....I'm quite sure that men's basketball is the only sport generating a profit at Duke. The FB program isn't, unless you allocate the ACC's rev share almost exclusively to football (thank you Dabo again). The 1.3 paid to a mediocre to the long time coach of a poor WBB program is constraining, not K's salary. Money may be fungible going out, but it comes in through very specific individual avenues.

And then there's the fact that some or all of the coach pay does not come from the general athletic operating fund.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You don't give up do you? The Bennett analogy is very flawed. Just as Dabo wasn't paid like Saban until a few years after he got Clemson on the same plane, the same situation is at UVa vis a vis Duke. The man who brings the most revenue to the ACC now is Dabo, followed by K, FWIW.

As for K constraining what the university can do...I'm quite sure that men's basketball is the only sport generating a profit at Duke. The FB program isn't, unless you allocate the ACC's rev share almost exclusively to football (thank you Dabo again). The 1.3 paid to a mediocre to the long time coach of a poor WBB program is constraining, not K's salary. Money may be fungible going out, but it comes in through very specific individual avenues.

And then there's the fact that some or all of the coach pay does not come from the general athletic operating fund.
    I believe I've seen data to support this before but a quick google search didn't yield any results. I did find data from the past few years that says Duke football runs about a $8M deficit.There's plenty of info on Duke MBB generating a profit, just not much on the other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I believe I've seen data to support this before but a quick google search didn't yield any results. I did find data from the past few years that says Duke football runs about a $8M deficit.There's plenty of info on Duke MBB generating a profit, just not much on the other sports.
    Coming up with meaningful profitabiity numbers is very very difficult, because various institutions allocate costs (and overhead) in many different ways. Having worked in big bidness for many years, I've seen all sorts of allocation schemes* ranging from the logical to the grotesquely absurd. Having said that, and knowing how well Duke has managed scarcity with regard to hoop tickets, I can easily believe men's hoops makes a profit by most logical measures.

I'd bet old pal Duke74 could weigh in on the wacky world of cost allocation.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Coming up with meaningful profitabiity numbers is very very difficult, because various institutions allocate costs (and overhead) in many different ways. Having worked in big bidness for many years, I've seen all sorts of allocation schemes* ranging from the logical to the grotesquely absurd. Having said that, and knowing how well Duke has managed scarcity with regard to hoop tickets, I can easily believe men's hoops makes a profit by most logical measures.

I'd bet old pal Duke74 could weigh in on the wacky world of cost allocation.
    I mentioned the ability to allocate in whatever way to show whatever one would want to show...that said, it makes perfect logical sense that Duke FB runs a deficit. There are two main revenue sources, and we stink at one of them.

And yes, Duke hoops is a TV money machine, for Duke and for the league as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It also begs the question- what does K do with all that money. Does K have any hobbies- expensive tastes? A villa in Italy? Does he own a yacht? I know he has given money in the name of his mother - but is that it? Duke subsidizes Athletics by 15M. K would be well paid at 3M a year not including his outside sources. I hope the other 5M is providing some value somewhere.
    Really? What business of yours is it how he spends his money? So what if he has a yacht. Maybe a nice big million dollar pool? I have a friend that makes a living building pools for rich people. He doesn't make enough to have a pool at his own house, but he feeds his family without living off charity.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Really? What business of yours is it how he spends his money? So what if he has a yacht. Maybe a nice big million dollar pool? I have a friend that makes a living building pools for rich people. He doesn't make enough to have a pool at his own house, but he feeds his family without living off charity.
    It's probably not our business but it's an interesting question nevertheless. When is enough enough? What does a wealthy person like K do with his money? I suspect he is extremely charitable.

I think it may be a relevant question in this era, where many contend that coaches are paid too much at the expense of the athletes who, in their opinion, deserve compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    It's probably not our business but it's an interesting question nevertheless. When is enough enough? What does a wealthy person like K do with his money? I suspect he is extremely charitable..
    That question is simply not relevant until you can answer this one:

Who gets to decide what enough is?

You'll never answer the second question, so the first one remains a moot point.