Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Duke Athletic Salaries Released

Coach K - $7.3M
    Cut - $2.7M
    Kevin White - $1.6M
    McCallie - $1.3M

Full article at the Chronicle... https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...stem-endowment

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Coach K - $7.3M
    Cut - $2.7M
    Kevin White - $1.6M
    McCallie - $1.3M

Full article at the Chronicle... https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...stem-endowment
    Interesting, for some reason I thought K's salary was more. Maybe closer to $9M? His salary is consistent with other best-of-the-best coach salaries, regardless of sport (Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, etc) which is the appropriate market benchmark, IMO. Duke Mens BB generates something like $30M in profit annually and the brand equity he's created for the university through a successful basketball program, his Olympic work, and other university commitments is substantial. I'd be interested in seeing a swing at a valuation for Duke Men's Basketball ---

I do wish we could figure out a way to better value/reward professions that delivered societal value. There are several positions on that chart that deliver far more societal worth than coach of Duke Men's Basketball, which may deliver the most value to Duke (maybe, I don't know...) So, there's a quibble with relative valuations but ain't solving that problem tonight!

This is only how much the university pays K and Cut. There are additional monies paid to them for TV/radio shows, summer camps, apparel deals for the teams, and endorsements. In many cases, the apparel deal and the TV/radio shows are a formal part of the coach's contract. I have heard that K makes around $2 mil per year from Nike as part of Nike's deal with the school for the basketball team to wear Nike uniforms and shoes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Triple Ack over the evident fact (if the article is to be believed) that McCallie makes more money than John Danowski, the winningest college mens' lacrosse coach in history, a man who has three national championships.
    Danowski is an absolute prince of a guy. A fabulous representative of the university.

As for K, his salary does go up and down (aside from the Nike payments)...I think a few years ago after a championship Duke reported he earned $10 million that year...I'm sure he has all sorts of incentives (maybe even a bottomless ATM machine in his office).

McCallie at 1.3 M is a testament to many things...none of them good.

They are paying a lot more than market for a handful of those positions. That's what 75K a year buys a 19 year old's parents I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    McCallie at 1.3 M is a testament to many things...none of them good.

They are paying a lot more than market for a handful of those positions. That's what 75K a year buys a 19 year old's parents I guess.
    No. That’s what a prolific men’s basketball program buys. Tuition does not cover the full cost of educating an undergraduate at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    No. That’s what a prolific men’s basketball program buys...
    Amen and good spot there.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Interesting, for some reason I thought K's salary was more. Maybe closer to $9M? His salary is consistent with other best-of-the-best coach salaries, regardless of sport (Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, etc) which is the appropriate market benchmark, IMO. Duke Mens BB generates something like $30M in profit annually and the brand equity he's created for the university through a successful basketball program, his Olympic work, and other university commitments is substantial. I'd be interested in seeing a swing at a valuation for Duke Men's Basketball ---

I do wish we could figure out a way to better value/reward professions that delivered societal value. There are several positions on that chart that deliver far more societal worth than coach of Duke Men's Basketball, which may deliver the most value to Duke (maybe, I don't know...) So, there's a quibble with relative valuations but ain't solving that problem tonight!
    It also begs the question- what does K do with all that money. Does K have any hobbies- expensive tastes? A villa in Italy? Does he own a yacht? I know he has given money in the name of his mother - but is that it? Duke subsidizes Athletics by 15M. K would be well paid at 3M a year not including his outside sources. I hope the other 5M is providing some value somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Triple Ack over the evident fact (if the article is to be believed) that McCallie makes more money than John Danowski, the winningest college mens' lacrosse coach in history, a man who has three national championships.
    Danowski is an absolute prince of a guy. A fabulous representative of the university.

As for K, his salary does go up and down (aside from the Nike payments)...I think a few years ago after a championship Duke reported he earned $10 million that year...I'm sure he has all sorts of incentives (maybe even a bottomless ATM machine in his office).
    You are right--a graphic in the Chronicle article makes clear that K's base compensation in 2017 was a little over $2.8 million. He also received just under $3 million in incentives and bonuses and $1.3 million in retirement benefits.

Couldn't agree more about John Danowski. His salary is not listed on the 2017 Form 990 that forms the basis for the article, so he clearly makes less than McCallie. Part of that is just basketball versus lacrosse, but still--ugh.

No. That’s what a prolific men’s basketball program buys. Tuition does not cover the full cost of educating an undergraduate at Duke.
    You took a rhetorical jab as an exact literal statement...it was the former, not the latter.

And yes, basketball and Clemson football (via ACC sharing) is what pays for ALL OF THIS....

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It also begs the question- what does K do with all that money. Does K have any hobbies- expensive tastes? A villa in Italy? Does he own a yacht? I know he has given money in the name of his mother - but is that it? Duke subsidizes Athletics by 15M. K would be well paid at 3M a year not including his outside sources. I hope the other 5M is providing some value somewhere.
    I'm sure the upkeep of his 2 million dollar property is more than most of us would care to think about.

Aside from the emily k center, i'd imagine K probably makes a nice contribution to the church.
    April 1

No, it doesn't beg that question at all. I am not aware of what any of the big money coaches do with their money, and it's not something I even think about. I knew from way back that K owned a house at Emerald Isle...maybe he's upgraded to the Caribbean or gulf coast of Florida or something. I know K likes to travel, including Vegas and some other destinations.

But I must take exception with saying that he would be well paid at 3M a year. For better or worse, that's not what the GOAT college hoops coach should be paid - and the logical indication of your post is that he should spend 3M on himself and his family and put the other 5M into a worthy cause. I"m sure he puts 3M or so into the IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm sure the upkeep of his 2 million dollar property is more than most of us would care to think about.

Aside from the emily k center, i'd imagine K probably makes a nice contribution to the church.
    I'd watch the Coach K episode of Cribs...

Among other things, K has heirs. Lots and lots and lots of heirs.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Among other things, K has heirs. Lots and lots and lots of heirs.
    pretty sure more heirs than hairs if not now then soon
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    No, it doesn't beg that question at all. I am not aware of what any of the big money coaches do with their money, and it's not something I even think about. I knew from way back that K owned a house at Emerald Isle...maybe he's upgraded to the Caribbean or gulf coast of Florida or something. I know K likes to travel, including Vegas and some other destinations.

But I must take exception with saying that he would be well paid at 3M a year. For better or worse, that's not what the GOAT college hoops coach should be paid - and the logical indication of your post is that he should spend 3M on himself and his family and put the other 5M into a worthy cause. I"m sure he puts 3M or so into the IRS.
    Well coaching is a funny thing. There are lots of people who can coach. One might argue that Tony Bennett has been just as successful as K of late and is paid on order 3M. Same for Roy Williams who makes the same. Coaches should receive a base salary and then get incentives. Paying K three times as much based on past performance is a bit odd to me.

Since his salary is so large - it constrains what the University can do in athletics. Good assistant coaches in football need to get paid. Again- I understand what value K has brought over time- but his salary is very large.

Well tuition does not cover the cost of running a University but I suspect it more than covers the education of those students.

Top three clearly earning their salary IMHO.

I would guess that he tithes to the church.

Since his salary is so large - it constrains what the University can do in athletics. Good assistant coaches in football need to get paid. Again- I understand what value K has brought over time- but his salary is very large.
    The Duke portion of his salary is also fully endowed by the Duke Basketball Legacy Fund as are the assistant coaches.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa